• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Record Bin From single 4 x 8 Sheet of Plywood - Plans

I have been looking/thinking for something like this for quite some time and found this thread. Big thanks to the OP. I have just finished mine and am pretty happy with it. I copied the version from BionicKoala (thanks !) but left out the dividers. Will see how it goes, for now..I can always easily add something if needed. recordtub.jpeg
Used MDF and bought a kreg tool which was a godsend. Paint was what I had lying around and I particularly like the look of the red back panel. There is an old 7" single on the front and for a bit of bling, the 'spindle' is actually a push button switch for the LED strip lights (which I didnt stick on straight... oops)
I joined the forum so that I could thank and share.
Thanks for the inspiration and experience!
 
Y1Xphcc.jpg
 
I have been looking/thinking for something like this for quite some time and found this thread. Big thanks to the OP. I have just finished mine and am pretty happy with it. I copied the version from BionicKoala (thanks !) but left out the dividers. Will see how it goes, for now..I can always easily add something if needed. View attachment 2630830
Used MDF and bought a kreg tool which was a godsend. Paint was what I had lying around and I particularly like the look of the red back panel. There is an old 7" single on the front and for a bit of bling, the 'spindle' is actually a push button switch for the LED strip lights (which I didnt stick on straight... oops)
I joined the forum so that I could thank and share.
Thanks for the inspiration and experience!
I have been looking/thinking for something like this for quite some time and found this thread. Big thanks to the OP. I have just finished mine and am pretty happy with it. I copied the version from BionicKoala (thanks !) but left out the dividers. Will see how it goes, for now..I can always easily add something if needed. View attachment 2630830
Used MDF and bought a kreg tool which was a godsend. Paint was what I had lying around and I particularly like the look of the red back panel. There is an old 7" single on the front and for a bit of bling, the 'spindle' is actually a push button switch for the LED strip lights (which I didnt stick on straight... oops)
I joined the forum so that I could thank and share.
Thanks for the inspiration and experience!
Great! Looks just like my first build! :). Even a similar colour to mine. MDF doesn't seem to be a popular choice on this Forum, but it's easy to work with and a much less expensive alternative to many other wood types. Everyone was complaining about the sky-rocketing cost of wood after the Pandemic began. Also I found not having to worry about wood grain etc meant you could easily sand edges down if your measurements were slightly out ( I'm no carpenter, just a Hobbyist ). Mine was made with what I could get cheaply or had already, it was never planned as a 'fancy' piece of furniture, just retro and practical. And having the top shelf in this design just makes it practical too. The shelf became a 'thing' when I was trying to convince my wife to let me have it in the dining room, the shelf was a deal clincher, as she could then put ornaments/Nik-naks on it, as it wasn't just a 'box' anymore. ( Though when she put a vase of flowers - "WATER!" on top of it we had words." - But brilliant mate ;) and heart warming to see my design used/tweaked/appreciated again. :)
 
Can any of you show me what you've done for lighting? Specifically, under lighting for the lower shelves, LED strips, etc. What did you use, how did you mount them, etc.
 
For my bottom area, I use an LED strip that's plugged into the wall socket. The top area I use a clip on LED spot light. Lowes...approx. $20 each
 
Going to have a go at this next weekend - well primarily my cousin who’s actually good at building stuff is going to have a go at it. Hoping to get two of the three tier ones, have the plans and forwarded them to him, said it should be an easy build so I’m glad to have someone who knows what they’re doing do it. Maybe I’ll try my hand at it eventually. For anybody that has done the three tier, is there enough room in the middle and bottom shelves for easily flipping through records or is there anything you wish you’d have done differently from the base plan? All of these look awesome!
 
Can any of you show me what you've done for lighting? Specifically, under lighting for the lower shelves, LED strips, etc. What did you use, how did you mount them, etc.

I had a battery powered 1m strip light that was doing nothing (unsuitable for another project). These strip lights usually have cut marks so that you can safely cut them & if you scrape back the plastic, there are copper spots that take solder. So I cut my 1m length into halves and joined them with some fine wire. A strip above each shelf and run the wire out the back out of view. Mains powered would save batteries but negate the benefit of mobility with castors and you would end up with a dangling cable always getting in the way. The lights are only on when necessary so should have good run times.
 
Hows the visibilty and digability on the bottom shelf when you kneel down to look? Im thinking of building something like this for my shop. Not sure if customers would dig it or if I should go with the 2 shelf version.

I was massively lucky. My Plywood was free from a B&Q DIY store here in the UK. The edges had been damaged so it was offered as 'scrap'. They still cut it down for me in store for Free too. The castors came off a trolley I found in a junkyard/tip. The lamp was made by my daughter in 'Tech' at school. The Wood glue and 2 inch screws I already had. The only cost was the LED lights, anti-slip mats and paint. Probably cost me about 25 quid. what's that? $35?
OqbWqZX.jpg
 
Hows the visibilty and digability on the bottom shelf when you kneel down to look? Im thinking of building something like this for my shop. Not sure if customers would dig it or if I should go with the 2 shelf version.


I did one differently, completely made from scrap materials. I incorporated an LED under-cabinet light with a switch to illuminate the bottom shelf. There may be a picture of it in my profile, can't remember if it's still there. If not, I'll dig around and see if I can find it somewhere in my postings.

EDIT:

I think I found it.


https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?media/101610.19847/
 
Hows the visibilty and digability on the bottom shelf when you kneel down to look? Im thinking of building something like this for my shop. Not sure if customers would dig it or if I should go with the 2 shelf version.
I would say my 2 shelf original build was easier to access and view, but it depends on your required capacity. My 3 shelf holds about 1000 albums/12 inches. - In my home environment I would say LED lighting is necessary. I have thought about having the records side-on 'book shelf style' on the bottom would help with 'rummaging'. i've been considering taking out the divider and modifying my bottom shelf. On your topic, In a shop? I do think you'd have to think more about ease of accessibility. I know what's in my collection so I don't really need to 'rummage'.
 
index.php

index.php

I made it slightly shallower than the plans at 18" deep. This makes the cabinet conform more to standard depths of most furniture so it doesn't stick out. I used tongue and groove joints on the shelves and the back, and pocket holes on the fronts and dividers. It's extremely strong and I'm happy with the results, I just wish plywood wasn't so expensive these days.

Hey would you be willing to share your cad file with me? I really like this take on it, and I’m thinking I’ll add a second tier in the middle of each section to add some height and variation
 
Finally, 12 years after SXTY8GOATS posted this, I got around to building my first record bin using the version 3, as posted by Doc Zinger, inspired by Sxty8goats.

This was a fun project and it ended up costing way more money and time than if I went and bought one.

Prior to taking on this project I had zero wood working skills and other then a drill and a mish mash of tools, I had nothing.

So I went to my local big box store, picked up Circular Saw, Miter Saw, Jig Saw, Circular Sander, impact drill, and a planer.

My first build was two saw horses.

My second build was a work bench.

My third build was a cart caddy for my wife's heavy plants.

This record bin is only the 4th thing that I ever built, and I didn't want to start my learning with the bin. Building the saw horses and work bench were good primers for building up my confidence to build the bin.

The difficult parts of the journey for me was figuring out how to put it all together after I had the cuts done. Since I was building this solo, I quickly learned that I needed four hands to begin the assembly. So I rigged up a system of clamps and 2x4s that I was able to support the side pieces while I got them secured and the bottom shelf secured. After that it was easy to figure out everything else.

For my build I used an expensive piece of 3/4" walnut plywood. I just oiled it, no stains or polys.

I’ll be adding legs to the bottom instead of wheels.

Also be adding LED Lighting for the bottom shelf.

I did change the plans a little bit. I placed braces underneath the bottom and top shelf for extra support.

Thanks to DOC Zinger and SXTY8GOATS.

Now I need to figure out how many records the bin holds and get to work on 2-3 more so I can store my entire collection.







 
Now I need to figure out how many records the bin holds and get to work on 2-3 more so I can store my entire collection.
FWIW... I've got an LPBIN1 from LPBin.com. It's dimensions are 22" deep by 28.5" wide by 44.5' tall. I can tell you that 500 LP's is as many records as I am able to fit in it. Of those 500 LPs there are 36 double albums and 2 triple albums. Not sure how many of the singles have gatefold covers.
 
FWIW... I've got an LPBIN1 from LPBin.com. It's dimensions are 22" deep by 28.5" wide by 44.5' tall. I can tell you that 500 LP's is as many records as I am able to fit in it. Of those 500 LPs there are 36 double albums and 2 triple albums. Not sure how many of the singles have gatefold covers.

Nice, so I’ll need 3 more to hold my collection. :)
 
Taking the knowledge I gained building the LP bin, I built myself a singles bin for my 7” collection. Has anyone else done this? It was super easy and I used 1/2” plywood, but I think I’d use 3/4” if I do another one.

BC9AF567-E2E8-4B7F-9A30-C682A3C6F09C.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom