• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Record Bin From single 4 x 8 Sheet of Plywood - Plans

Here are the fruits of my attempt. As you can see, I have a nook larger than the two-wide bin but not wide enough to place two of those side-by-side, so I built it three-wide (that's a lot of weight to carry but I'm reasonably confident it's sufficiently reinforced).

Also put two LED pucks under the top bin to illuminate the bottom.

15705699274_cccc9ef5de_z.jpg
Gonna be a long shot as this is such an old post but I don't suppose you have a cut list for this version please ?
 
Just finished building mine!
Thanks for the plans and it was great seeing everyone's storage bin.

No paint yet, it's too cold outside and I am not allowed to fumigate the house with lovely fumes...
I will finish sanding it and paint it next year when spring rolls around. I desperately needed somewhere to store my records as they were all over the place.
Now to decide on some alphabet markers and then sort everyone out into the right spots.

Paid the dog tax as well!
My listening girl, Darla.
 

Attachments

  • 20241102_171730.jpg
    20241102_171730.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 20241102_171743.jpg
    20241102_171743.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 97
Can someone please tell me the approximate weight of a full bin? I am looking to put casters on mine and want to make
sure I have the proper load requirement. Thanks.
 
Can someone please tell me the approximate weight of a full bin? I am looking to put casters on mine and want to make
sure I have the proper load requirement. Thanks.

Not sure, but mine got quite full to the point that I could no longer flip though the albums and see the album covers so I had my son build me a 3rd one.

I'm guessing but fully loaded seems to be approaching 300lbs for the records and stand combined.

That said, even fully loaded like that I could still easily roll them around on the plush carpeting (with a 1/2" synthetic pad beneath it) in my music room with the 150lb each rated casters I've bought 3 times now from Amazon.

 
Last edited:
Another member built one of these and I needed something to occupy my mind a bit. So I mocked one up in Solidworks to see what I could come up with. All in all it is a simple and nice looking bin.

It will hold between 500 and 600 records, currently modeled with 125 per section. (assuming 1/8" thick record sleeve.) so 500 is a conservative estimate. Top of record in the top bin will be @ 39" above the floor, a nice easy browsing height.

I have not built this yet, it is winter and I'm not sure I'd have the room. It was mainly done to see what I could get out of a sheet of plywood. Were I to build it I'd glue every seam and use nails / or screw to assemble. A solid glued seam will be strong as an ox once it drys. Below is Chimpkin's original post that inspired me to think on this, followed by my images and the cut drawing. If anyone builds from these plans, post a pic, I'd love to see it done in reality. Thanks to Chimpkin for the inspiration.



Cut List: (Thumbnail)


Additional Images: See Post #8 in this thread for the first build :)


V2 Has Casters (easily added to V1) rated at 90 lbs per corner for a total of 360 lb capacity. 600 180g records weigh 240 lbs.
Caster: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/1329/=agjps5
V2 also has a simpler cut list which results in deeper bins. I personally prefer the look of the shallower bin so I've posted both cut sheets.



V3:Vertical Grain Thanks go to Doc Zinger for this version.
Assembly and optional casters still apply. See other drawings for caster part number and assembly.
For those that want to have the grain running vertically and don't mine a few extra cuts.
The front shelf pannels are 1/16" shorter and the dividers are 1-3/4 inches shorter.
Other than that the over all dimensions have not changed.
You also must be a bit more careful to get the shelf cuts correct as they no longer
share the cut to get the same width.



Assembly Tips, Tips and Variations.
Links point to specific posts in this thread.

Staining Hard Woods from member : timie1

Draws added for storage from member x2turbo



Yet another version. 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood to make 2 bins with 3 shelves per bin. Each should hold @ 600 records. I appoligize if the images are suddenly huge, photobucket no longer offers a thumbnail option as far as I can see. That was the main reason I used the service back when I used it.

Budabel came up with this version. You can find a photo of his finished racks and a PDF of all the below drawings here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=8365434&postcount=282

323CUTSHEET1-2.jpg


323ASSMBLY.jpg


323CUTSHEET3.jpg

Here you go. Thanks for the sketches.

I've change the layout and dimensions slightly to reduce the number of cuts and to allow for the width of the saw blade.

Budabel's original bin:
attachment.php


PDF's of the cut sheet and assembly drawings below:

Not sure, but mine got quite full to the point that I could no longer flip though the albums and seen the album covers so I had my son build me a 3rd one.

That said, even fully loaded like that I could still easily roll them around on the plush carpeting (with a 1/2" synthetic pad beneath it) in my music room with the 150lb each rated casters I've bought 3 times now from Amazon.

Thank you for your response. And the link.
 
Can someone please tell me the approximate weight of a full bin? I am looking to put casters on mine and want to make
sure I have the proper load requirement. Thanks.

So, you’re asking what is the weight of one sheet of plywood plus however many LPs will fit in the resulting bin?
 
Thanks for all the great ideas. Here is one of the 2 I am "building" with my neighbor. He is actually doing most of the work. I am merely his lab assistant. It is 3 levels. The bottom is on underneath sliders and it is on 3" wheels. I am hoping to have the urethane done by tomorrow and them in my house by Sunday. I used a birch veneer plywood. Beautiful grain and Indigo (I tried to go for a Rock n Roll look) Minwax stain. It was a lot more than I expected with the build especially with the addition of the slider drawer bottom shelf. It also cost a lot more than 3 pieces of plywood and some screws. Overall, I am very happy with the results. Can't wait to get them loaded up.
 

Attachments

  • Record Bin.jpg
    Record Bin.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 62
Can you please provide the modifications you made for the drawer? I am looking to do the same. Thanks.
Sorry. I just saw this request. I hope this helps. Attached are photos. Not quite finished yet. They will probably be better than how I can explain. We really just winged it. Next time, I would add 1-2 inches in width to accommodate for the sliders and use the dividers. We simply built a tray using the 3rd face piece for the front, the 3/4 birch plywood which would have been the bottom and 1/2 inch birch plywood for the back. 3" angle brackets to stabilize the back and 3 inch wide angle brackets for the front creating a tray. For the base of the cabinet, I used 3/4 inch plywood and mounted the entire cabinet in it so I could mount the wheels: Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09V5P2SSY?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title&th=1 I used sliders also from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0DJNR4S1V?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title&th=1
Almost finished.jpegSlider mount full.jpegSlider mount half.jpegWheels.jpegTray Back.jpegTray bottom.jpegTray front inside.jpegTray rear and inside.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom