• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Record Cleaning: Developing the Best Possible Methods

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is what the vacuum wand is. Just such an attachment. Since you are a subscriber, put up a WTB ad in BT's Parts and Accessories subforum, seeking a "Vacuum Wand for Record Cleaning" The AKr who makes them will likely see it and respond, or someone with an extra may step up.

Use the dead turntable platter to support your record, while you brush it with a dedicated brush for rinsing, and suck it dry with your vacuum wand.

Enjoy,
Rich P
 
Last edited:
There is also an AKr or two who make up pre-mix cleaning solutions, based upon the developments in this thread. You could ask for some of that as well.

Enjoy,
Rich P
 
What should we use in the rinse step if we don’t have an RCM? I’m starting from scratch, and all I have is an ultrasonic tank and a Vinyl Stack.
Clean all the records you need to clean say 20 then empty the US cleaner put them in a drying stand (I use 2 Bacon Waves) and put the records through a rinse in the US cleaner. What could be better. Then vacuum the water off.
 
Clean all the records you need to clean say 20 then empty the US cleaner put them in a drying stand (I use 2 Bacon Waves) and put the records through a rinse in the US cleaner. What could be better. Then vacuum the water off.
That would work.

Enjoy,
Rich P
 
What should we use in the rinse step if we don’t have an RCM? I’m starting from scratch, and all I have is an ultrasonic tank and a Vinyl Stack.
I would find a way to prop up the VS above the tank and spray them with DI from a bottle after the US treatment. Let the drips fall back into the tank, then process as usual.

I don't know how easy it would be...
 
I already bought all the chemicals for the mixture, just gotta mix them up this weekend. I bought a drying rack from Vinyl Stack too, so I wa thinking up using that for rinse until I can find a turntable “for parts” on eBay or Craigslist. Would a lazy Susan work, or is there a reason it need to be a turntable platter?
 
Last edited:
Lazy Susan works very well, but you will need to do some work for it to function for the purpose. Here are some pictures of mine. I tend to over-think such things, but it requires a significant amount of time and effort. The problem with an old turntable is that you will still need to modify it significantly to rinse with. The platter will take on debris, moisture etc. etc. when you place the record that is still wet from the US tank on it so you will need a way to keep it clean and dry. I made a cover out of 5 mil plastic to put down first, then rinse and clean one side, remove the cover and then put the clean side down and do the other side. In this way, you keep the side you just cleaned clean. You'll still need a way to turn the platter for both rinsing and vacuuming, so something else to consider.

Later, I made what I have now, which is a system that only the label is used to attach the record with between two pucks. You can kind of get the idea from the pictures.....hope you can get something that will work for you.
1.
IMG_4086.JPG 2.
IMG_4087.JPG 3.
IMG_4088.JPG 4.
IMG_4089.JPG
5.
IMG_4090.JPG
6.
IMG_1840.JPG

7.
IMG_4091.JPG
8.
IMG_4092.JPG
9.
IMG_4093.JPG
10.
IMG_4096.JPG

So, picture #8 above shows me using the paint-edger to spread the distilled water on the record but I had not yet put the water on it.....also, #9 shows me vacuuming the record but I had not actually put any water on it yet, just to demonstrate how I do that. Picture #6 shows the vacuum wand I made using a crevice tool and squaring it off, then blocking the end and adhesing two strips of shaved pad from the edger pads.

Like I said, it involves some work and I'm sure others may lighten the load for you some with their ideas on how to do this more simply. BTW, the 12" Lazy Susan I bought from Lowes, screwed it on to an old cutting board, then made a platter 10" diameter followed by two pucks the diameter of the label of a record. Put a carriage bolt through from the bottom and recessed it to the proper level so I had enough clearance for the record as well as the top puck, into which I recessed the nut that the bolt screws into to hold the record in place, followed by devising a handle that turns on a bearing that screws into the top puck so I can turn the record while applying distilled water and dispersing with the paint edger pad and also while vacuuming with the crevice tool. The black foam is glued to the top of the 10" platter and to the top of the first puck and bottom of the second puck, the one with the handle, so the record label is protected from water and scuffs. It is from Hobby Lobby and sold as 1/8" black foam in sheets that are 11 X 18" if I remember correctly.

Man, I don't do a very good job of explaining all of this but hopefully you get the idea and can cook one up or have someone do it for you.
 
Last edited:
Voila nettoyage Ultrason au top, aigu très clair et effet stéréo comme jamais. Aucune électricité statique. bref super.
Voici la recette:
0,1-0,5% de Tergitol, 0,01-0,04% de Quat et 5% d'IPA. (la plage la plus élevée pour l'unité de vide, la plus basse pour le réservoir à ultrasons).
Pour moi:
0,13% de tergitol 15-S-7
0,01% de Quat chlorure d'hexadécyltriméthylammonium (
Synonymes Cetyltrimethylammonium chloride solution, Trimethylhexadecylammonium chloride, Cetrimonium chloride UTILISÉ EN FORMULATION ANTIFONGIQUE; EN FORMULATION DE CONDITIONNEUR DE CHEVEUX; DÉSINFECTANT; DÉTERGENT CATIONIQUE, GERMICIDE, DISPERSANT)
5% d'IPA (pas la bière)
et le reste en eau distillé. je vais tenter avec de l'eau osmosé vendu dans les animaux.
La cuve en mode turbo pendant 3 minutes et un dégazage pendant la montée en température à 30 * C attention la température monte seul ensuite.
 
Last edited:
Si vous avez d'autre recette au top, je suis preneur. mais la au vu des LP plus ou moins inaudible c'est pas mal du tout.
 
Voila nettoyage Ultrason au top, aigu très clair et effet stéréo comme jamais. Aucune électricité statique. bref super.
Voici la recette:
0,1-0,5% de Tergitol, 0,01-0,04% de Quat et 5% d'IPA. (la plage la plus élevée pour l'unité de vide, la plus basse pour le réservoir à ultrasons).
Pour moi:
0,13% de tergitol 15-S-7
0,01% de Quat chlorure d'hexadécyltriméthylammonium (
Synonymes Cetyltrimethylammonium chloride solution, Trimethylhexadecylammonium chloride, Cetrimonium chloride UTILISÉ EN FORMULATION ANTIFONGIQUE; EN FORMULATION DE CONDITIONNEUR DE CHEVEUX; DÉSINFECTANT; DÉTERGENT CATIONIQUE, GERMICIDE, DISPERSANT)
5% d'IPA (pas la bière)
et le reste en eau distillé. je vais tenter avec de l'eau osmosé vendu dans les animaux.
La cuve en mode turbo pendant 3 minutes et un dégazage pendant la montée en température à 30 * C attention la température monte seul ensuite.

Bon travail, Copirate! J’espère que vous êtes un auditeur heureux et parier que vous êtes! L’homme, j’espère que ces traduires en ligne de travail et que je ne vous ai pas offensé en quelque sorte ....
 
A question for those who use Hepastat 256: I bought one gallon container of Hepastat 256 a few years ago, enough to last me a life time. I noticed, however, that in the fine print, however, that this solution has a shelf life of one year. Does this stuff really go bad and lose its effectiveness after a year?
 
Now there's a good question.....I do not know this for fact, but suspect that the quat properties that it has continue to remain effective and this is the real goal in using it, to reduce static as I understand from previous dissertations here and elsewhere on the matter and the beneficial uses thereof in terms of record cleaning.....please check me if I'm wrong about this as mine is also "expired!"
 
Last edited:
Agreed. A Chemist needs to chime in on the useful life of quat. It's likely, the manufacturer is being conservative on how effective the solution is in the long term, for it's intended purpose: disinfection in the health care setting.
 
Lazy Susan works very well, but you will need to do some work for it to function for the purpose. Here are some pictures of mine. I tend to over-think such things, but it requires a significant amount of time and effort. The problem with an old turntable is that you will still need to modify it significantly to rinse with. The platter will take on debris, moisture etc. etc. when you place the record that is still wet

I just use a bamboo lazy-Susan with a wooden peg glued in the middle. It does not transfer water as it absorbs a little. Leaves no marks on the record. Stays clean with only an occasional wipe needed for any debris.

For the label cover I use a CD with a few felt pads on the bottom to raise it off the LP a little.
 

Attachments

  • 91237DEE-D9D1-44F0-BC26-B8E339551554.jpeg
    91237DEE-D9D1-44F0-BC26-B8E339551554.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 44
Agreed. A Chemist needs to chime in on the useful life of quat. It's likely, the manufacturer is being conservative on how effective the solution is in the long term, for it's intended purpose: disinfection in the health care setting.

Who is the expert chemist in this discussion thread?
 
Phantomrebel....who has not been heard from in quite a while. He started this out with a different name, guest110 but he's the same guy.....long story. We are all hoping he's well and will return fairly soon as there are some questions he could be very helpful with.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom