• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rega plinth foam?

Good that you found a turntable you're satisfied with, but going through turntables, carts, and phono stages every few months is hardly the standard experience. We can't know what it was about those turntables that fell short, or what models you tried. Surely there are many people who are equally happy with their turntables...that aren't a P6.

Sure but many of them cannot speak credibly and from experience about why they prefer the turntable they do. I can and the Rega is THAT good.

Also, I beg to differ about phono hobbyists constantly churning gear including turntables, cartridges and phono preamps. When I was in that phase I was hardly an outlier around these parts.
 
Sure but many of them cannot speak credibly and from experience about why they prefer the turntable they do. I can and the Rega is THAT good.

Yes, but you're a little vague on the details of the turntables, cartridges, and phono amps you were having problems with. As in you haven't given any. Generally people don't find they need to change turntables "every few months", and as you make that claim but from the forum end of things compare the P6 with nothing specific that you're willing to mention, is it saying anything at all?
 
I've had an RP6 for 3 years, no sag.
The P6 sand cast foam plinth is covered with a high pressure laminate ("HPL" in Rega terms) as well as having the bearing to tonearm braces on both the the top and bottom... I wouldn't worry about sagging at all.

I have a couple P3's, one has been turned into an SRM-Tech Azure acrylic table, the other is the 50th Anniversary Edition. IMO the P6 is probably the sweet spot in their lineup since you get the double thick platter, the Neo PSU, and now an all aluminum sub platter (no longer plastic with an aluminum cap) as well as the RB330 tonearm. Cheaper to get a P6 than to upgrade a P3 by buying the PSU and subplatter.

Rega cartridges however are a different story- both of my P3's came with their Exact 2 cartridge and they were both not very good and they are WAY overpriced (one was over wound so much it was putting out 9mV and my phono amps couldn't handle it). I have an AT-VM540ML in a RigB body on the Azure, and an AT-VM740ML on the 50th anniversary table, and both sound excellent. Neither is quite as nice as my SL-1200GR2, but that one cost a whole lot more.
109_3943.JPG109_4219.JPG
 
Yes, but you're a little vague on the details of the turntables, cartridges, and phono amps you were having problems with. As in you haven't given any. Generally people don't find they need to change turntables "every few months", and as you make that claim but from the forum end of things compare the P6 with nothing specific that you're willing to mention, is it saying anything at all?
Well, maybe not in this particular thread, but DavidTT has been very specific over the years about his various turntables and accessories. Being a regular reader of this forum for a while, maybe I just assumed everyone else was pretty familiar with his history, too. One thing I've appreciated about his posts over the years is that I don't recall them talking about "having problems." My recollection is that he enjoyed and had positive things to say about his time with just about all the products he's talked about here.
 
The P6 sand cast foam plinth is covered with a high pressure laminate ("HPL" in Rega terms) as well as having the bearing to tonearm braces on both the the top and bottom... I wouldn't worry about sagging at all.

I have a couple P3's, one has been turned into an SRM-Tech Azure acrylic table, the other is the 50th Anniversary Edition. IMO the P6 is probably the sweet spot in their lineup since you get the double thick platter, the Neo PSU, and now an all aluminum sub platter (no longer plastic with an aluminum cap) as well as the RB330 tonearm. Cheaper to get a P6 than to upgrade a P3 by buying the PSU and subplatter.

Rega cartridges however are a different story- both of my P3's came with their Exact 2 cartridge and they were both not very good and they are WAY overpriced (one was over wound so much it was putting out 9mV and my phono amps couldn't handle it). I have an AT-VM540ML in a RigB body on the Azure, and an AT-VM740ML on the 50th anniversary table, and both sound excellent. Neither is quite as nice as my SL-1200GR2, but that one cost a whole lot more.
View attachment 3550511View attachment 3550512

The PL6 was the one reported to sag, on other forums. I didn't hear about it before I bought, and haven't experienced it myself. Maybe a bad batch at some point? One negative to the Rega I can add though - no included 45 adapter. I had to use an old one I had laying around. I guess in England where it's from, the large hole 45 RPM singles are rare, they usually have a small hole.
 
Being a regular reader of this forum for a while, maybe I just assumed everyone else was pretty familiar with his history, too.

No, I don't recall. A lot of members, a lot of histories, and my memory isn't especially retentive to begin with. I'm sure the P6 is a fine turntable for many owners, though. A little more surprised that someone couldn't settle on a turntable until they used a P6 - that is kind of presented as a problem solved - but everyone's journey is different. Mine started with Rega and transitioned elsewhere.
 
No, I don't recall. A lot of members, a lot of histories, and my memory isn't especially retentive to begin with.
I can relate to that!
I'm sure the P6 is a fine turntable for many owners, though. A little more surprised that someone couldn't settle on a turntable until they used a P6 - that is kind of presented as a problem solved - but everyone's journey is different. Mine started with Rega and transitioned elsewhere.
Starting in the 1970's, I think I went through something like DavidTT did. Over a several year period, I went through BIC, Garrard, Philips, and Thorens turntables. I enjoyed them all, but it wasn't until I heard a Linn that I really settled on a turntable. After nearly 30 years, and with even Linn parts having become too expensive for me to want to buy to maintain its performance, I settled on a Rega RP3, which in-home auditions showed me I could be very happy with. And my dealer sold the aging LP12 for me for well over the cost of the Rega!
 
No, I don't recall. A lot of members, a lot of histories, and my memory isn't especially retentive to begin with. I'm sure the P6 is a fine turntable for many owners, though. A little more surprised that someone couldn't settle on a turntable until they used a P6 - that is kind of presented as a problem solved - but everyone's journey is different. Mine started with Rega and transitioned elsewhere.

Not sure what your deal is but this will be my last response to you as you seem to be trolling here for no discernable reason. This is a thread about Rega turntables, specifically the P6 with the Tannest 8 foam plinth interior. I offered my experience with the model, which I have used daily for several years now. Take it or leave it.
 
Not sure what your deal is but this will be my last response to you as you seem to be trolling here for no discernable reason.

No, I just made the mistake of assuming, in a forum, that a certain amount of opinion can be stated without people taking offence. None was intended. Thanks for your thoughts.
 
Back
Top Bottom