• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Relay not clicking/engaging in a Marantz 2325

I just noticed that J809 runs to the right side board (when looking at the receiver from the front).
With the board that is on the left side of the receiver (when looking at it from the front) which is hooked up to J809 is connected and the right side board (J809) is disconnected
With the board on the left side back in and right power board out completely, I powered on the receiver and played some music through the aux input.
Sorry, can you please clarify this for me:
  • J809 has the 60v on it.
  • The schematic shows it is connected to the R-channel P700 board .
  • Your first statement says that J809 goes to the right side board when looking from the front.
  • Then you said, J809 is connected to the P700 board on the left side of the receiver (looking from the front) and connected to J809
  • Can you please clarify, so we are on the same page? The problem is with the R-channel and the P700 board is located on the right of the chassis looking from the front?
1723822742363.png
 
Last edited:
Sorry, can you please clarify this for me:
  • J809 has the 60v on it.
  • The schematic shows it is connected to the R-channel P700 board .
  • Your first statement says that J809 goes to the right side board when looking from the front.
  • Then you said, J809 is connected to the P700 board on the left side of the receiver (looking from the front) and connected to J809
  • Can you please clarify, so we are on the same page? The problem is with the R-channel and the P700 board is located on the right of the chassis looking from the front?
View attachment 3275277
J809 runs to the power amp board that sits next to P700, which is the Left channel. When I was first troubleshooting, I incorrectly assumed that the board on the left hand side of the receiver (when looking at it from the front) was the left channel, but that is actually the Right channel board. It seems counterintuitive that the Left channel board is on the right side of the receiver next to P700 but that’s the way it is wired in my 2325, not sure if it’s reversed in other 2325’s. In this picture I have the bad Left channel board out, while the Right channel board is in.
IMG_2688.jpeg
 
I was measuring components in Left channel P700 and found H706 (2SA818) measures
2.98V from Collector to Emitter. Since this is a PNP diode I obtained this measurement by placing the negative lead of my multimeter on the Collector and positive lead on the Emitter, using the diode function. The transistor was measured in circuit, but could this indicate a short?
 
Now is the time to build and use a DBT so we don't damage any boards. Did you build one?
You said that you have an oscilloscope. Do you know how to use one? If you do, then you can check for the audio signal before it gets to the relay, then after the relay.
Yes I just recently picked up a Tektronix 2246, which I haven’t learned how to use yet but Blueglow electronics has the same scope and a few YouTube videos where he explains how to use it so I’ll be watching those very soon so I can monitor the signal in the spots that you mention.
 
R Chan. = Good
L Chan. = Bad
You can try to bypass the relay contacts to see if audio gets through the relay to the output terminals for the good, R-channel.
Do this with the bad L-channel board disconnected.
First, make sure that the voltage on J808 (R-chan) is still close to 0V.
Next, with power off, connect a jumper from J808 (output of R-chan P700) to J810 (R-chan speaker terminal), bypassing the relay contact. (violet line on diagram)
Turn volume knob to minimum.
Turn-on power, slowly turn up volume control, and check to see if you now get volume at the R-chan speaker output.
If you get good volume, then the relay is bad, otherwise we look elsewhere.
1723827115508.png
 
R Chan. = Good
L Chan. = Bad
You can try to bypass the relay contacts to see if audio gets through the relay to the output terminals for the good, R-channel.
Do this with the bad L-channel board disconnected.
First, make sure that the voltage on J808 (R-chan) is still close to 0V.
Next, with power off, connect a jumper from J808 (output of R-chan P700) to J810 (R-chan speaker terminal), bypassing the relay contact. (violet line on diagram)
Turn volume knob to minimum.
Turn-on power, slowly turn up volume control, and check to see if you now get volume at the R-chan speaker output.
If you get good volume, then the relay is bad, otherwise we look elsewhere.
View attachment 3275311

Jumped the relay with a wire from J808 to J810 but still no change in the volume level. Still very low with volume pot turned fully clockwise.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2692.jpeg
    IMG_2692.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 5
I also cleaned the RCA jacks on the main in ore-out and used rca cables to bypass the internal jumpers but still no change in volume
 
After viewing some other threads I came across one where a guy replaced transistors H704/705 & diodes H718/719. He was having the same issue getting 60V but at J808 instead. He mentioned H704/705 testing fine but being leaky in circuit. I’m considering shotgunning both boards, but I am still keen on finding what is causing low volume in my Right channel. Ideally I would like to order all necessary parts in one order so the search continues to find the low volume issue. Could P800 have anything to do with it or should I focus my attention on P700?
 
If you measured the output voltages on P800 and they were OK, then most likely not the problem.
And since I have had success with the pre-out into another amplifier, I can safely assume the pre-amp section is OK as well? I would like to recap it eventually but first want to get the P700’s sorted out and go from there.
 
H701 E=1.1 B= .515 C= -21
H702 E=1.1 B= .572 C= -20.45
H703 E=19.62 B=19.01 C= 1.1
H704 E=17.57 B=17.02 C= -.76
H705 E= -21 B= -20.44 C= -1.03

H706 E=59.3 B=58.7 C=.56
H707= Could Not Access
H708 E= .016 B= .56 C=60.18
H709 E= -.634 B= -.09 C= -60.2
H712 E=.565 B= .38 C= -.036
H713 E= -.6 B= .040
C= -.41
H715 E= -.636 B= -.042 C= .564

I didn’t know how to measure H001-H004 at B, C, E so I just took reading at the pins:

J706= 60.46
J707= 60.5
J708= -24mV
J709= 59.88
J702= -48mV
J703= -60
J704= -60.46
J705= -60.5
 
OK, I transferred your measured voltages onto the Left CH P700 board schematic. Green is good, red is not quite good voltage.
If I remember correctly, you previously had a problem with 60V appearing on the P800 Power Supply board that would cause the relay not to engage.

1723968889715.png
 
OK, I transferred your measured voltages onto the Left CH P700 board schematic. Green is good, red is not quite good voltage.
If I remember correctly, you previously had a problem with 60V appearing on the P800 Power Supply board that would cause the relay not to engage.

View attachment 3276871
Sorry I forgot to mention, the voltages I measured are for the Right channel, the one that is currently working but has low volume. I will plug the Left channel power amp board in tomorrow and list the voltages. Sorry for the confusion
 
Sorry I forgot to mention, the voltages I measured are for the Right channel, the one that is currently working but has low volume. I will plug the Left channel power amp board in tomorrow and list the voltages. Sorry for the confusion
Confusing. You are currently trying to fix the right channel board, which has a low volume and @dankik is trying to resolve the issue if it is a relay or a p700 board problem. So why are you trying the left channel, stick with the right channel for the test until we know the issue. @dankik is taking you through the process step by step, stick to it and the right channel, leave the left channel board out for the moment.
Those transistor voltage suggest an issue somewhere in the bias. @dankik is doing a fine job guiding you. I am closely following the thread.

Also, when a P700 board goes bad outputting +-60 volts at the output, those 5.6K resistors on the power board do go bad at times, and when that happens the relay will engage with +- 60 volts at output causing a burn out of the relay contacts (with load resistors connected). I would check those 5.6 resistors as well. Also do not see in the thread where you have mentioned 0V at pins J808/J809/J810/J811
 
Last edited:
@GRonald Yes I am very grateful for @dankik offering his very methodical and thorough guidance on this issue, there was a bit of confusion on my end regarding what channel because I got a little caught up in why the Right channel volume was so low, but I’m back on track and going to take readings of the Left channel moving forward. I have around ~6mV on J808, 60V at J809 and will measure J810/811. I’ll check the resistors you mentioned as well, I appreciate you chiming in, thank you.
 
@GRonald Yes I am very grateful for @dankik offering his very methodical and thorough guidance on this issue, there was a bit of confusion on my end regarding what channel because I got a little caught up in why the Right channel volume was so low, but I’m back on track and going to take readings of the Left channel moving forward. I have around ~6mV on J808, 60V at J809 and will measure J810/811. I’ll check the resistors you mentioned as well, I appreciate you chiming in, thank you.
Cool. No offense intended, trying to help, I suggest sticking to the right channel for now, and then once sorted out, move to the left, if we get that right channel working, then the power and relay would also be fixed in the process. The left has -+60V, so debugging can create issues ATM. Keep the left out until the right is sorted out.
I have been following, and assume so is @rBuckner but not chiming in as too many inputs can create confusion. @dankik is on the right track.
 
Last edited:
These are the readings for the LEFT Channel

H701 E= 1.45 B= 0.827 C= -21
H702 E= 1.43 B= 9.68 C= -22
H703 E= 19.71 B= 19.12 C= 1.42
H704 E= 20.68 B= 20 C= 20.68
H705 E= -22.1 B= -22.1 C= 20.7
H706 E= 62.1 B= 61.47 C= 62
H707 Could Not Access
H708 E= 61.5 B= 62.5 C= 62.1
H709 E= 61.5 B= 61.5 C= -62.3
H712 E= 62 B= 61.3 C= 61
H713 E= 61.5 B= 61.3 C= 61
H715 E= 61.4 B= 61.2 C= 61.6

J702= 61
J703= -61.9
J704= -61.9
J705= -61.6
J706= 61.5
J707= 61.7
J708= 60.9
J709= 61

Note: The 5.6K resistors, R819/820 measured fine
 
OK, I transferred your voltage measurements onto the schematic for the Left P700 board.
Green transistors have proper voltages, red transistors have one or more bad voltages.
We need to study this to find the cause of the incorrect voltages.
1724208351766.png
 
Back
Top Bottom