• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Replacement woofers for Altec A-7?

Most of the Eminence drivers are around 40hz as well so I'm wondering if Dayton is stretching it a bit?
__________________
I think that you will only get so much bass due too cabinet design regardless of driver specs. Cabinet mods will help.
The Daytons make great bass in Madrid cabs!
Never heard any Eminence in A-7 cabs so no help there... but if I were to buy new again I would probably try them over the Daytons ...jmho.
 
28hz is resonance for that Dayton woofer, should be no surprise that it'll play that low.

I wonder how these would perform in the full size horns like 210, 211.

81spirit, examine the difference in moving mass between the Dayton and other drivers. It's very heavy(127grams), more than twice the moving mass of JBL G-135-8(60 grams).
 
Last edited:
28hz is resonance for that Dayton woofer, should be no surprise that it'll play that low.

I wonder how these would perform in the full size horns like 210, 211.

81spirit, examine the difference in moving mass between the Dayton and other drivers. It's very heavy(127grams), more than twice the moving mass of JBL G-135-8(60 grams).
__________________
bowtie,
This probably explains the muddiness I experienced with them.
Robert
 
I temporarily loaded the A7 enclosures with the Altec components I have, 416-16Z, 806A, and stock crossovers yesterday and was not impressed with the bass response. They were in the middle of the room (20' x 30') so maybe when they are against a wall (concrete block), where they will eventually go, there may be a little more bass.

With just a tuner for a source, I dialed through the channels and came across a cello concerto and the sound was truly amazing. With rock music, I had to decrease the mid on the preamp to get a descent sound.
 
The mid-bass horn provides a few db of acoustic gain that the woofer's output does not get to enjoy below the cutoff of the horn(~90hz).

So, even in the best circumstances, there will always be a rising response in the LF in a bare stock, un-equalized A7 system. If you listen carefully, much of the bass is there, it is just not balanced with the output of the system above the mid-bass horn's rolloff.

Most of us that run A7/A7 type systems in our homes augment the LF whether by EQ, separate woofer systems, or both.
 
I temporarily loaded the A7 enclosures with the Altec components I have, 416-16Z, 806A, and stock crossovers yesterday and was not impressed with the bass response. They were in the middle of the room (20' x 30') so maybe when they are against a wall (concrete block), where they will eventually go, there may be a little more bass.

With just a tuner for a source, I dialed through the channels and came across a cello concerto and the sound was truly amazing. With rock music, I had to decrease the mid on the preamp to get a descent sound.

They can have incredible dynamics and sweet midrange when paired with a decent tube amp. I biamped my A7s with heathkit W4am and a Rane crossover. My space downstairs do not do these justice. Hopefully our next house will have some space where these puppies can breathe a little. I have plans to augment the low end with a JBL 2245 sub or two to see how that helps.
 
Sorry no pics but here are some things I did to my cabs.to improve bass.

Horns were hung in mouths so I had no port panels. Cut some & left a 4" X ? slot port - much smaller than factory. Horns now on top - port near floor.

Added extra 3/4" panels to rear. Liquid nails & screws too attach.

Used many 1" x 2" braces 10" long in all 90 degree angles. Back to bottom - sides to back - sides to bottom exct.

Stiffened bottom of horn mouth with 3/4" x 3/4" wood extending to rear panel & lots of liquid nails.

Stiffened horn side walls with layers of liquid nails & filled the remainder with insulation'

Also lined most walls with thin insulation - overstuffed first time & had too remove some...

This all helped but still run subs .... folded horn subs work great with A-7s!
 
Time to resurrect this old thread, again :)
Is there really an audible difference between the 515E & 515C *Anlico version?

I asked GPA that question and honestly I'm not going to expect a straight answer because its their job to sell both versions so it would be counter productive to say yes, there is a difference since the price difference is 250.00 between the versions...

So, unbiased opnions, seriously can you hear an audible difference or are we just splitting hairs?? BTW, I understand and heard for years alnico is best, I also hear claims about speaker wire, being of an electrical background I dismiss that from the gate.

Thanks!
 
Is there really an audible difference between the 515E & 515C *Anlico version?
Yes, quite audible. The parameters are published, and you should be able to deduce from them that those 2 will differ audibly.

What is your application?

515E is unsuitable as a horn driver. While suitable for horn loading, i am not a big fan of the 515C either.

If you're loading bass/midbass horns and are willing to spend the loot, go 515B and don't look back.

If you need to do it on a budget, buy new GPA 515G's and be done. :yes:
 
I'm getting all brain twisted with these versions, lol....actually kinda frustrating.

I may have placed the wrong order, I bought Altec Lansing GPA 515-8LF from GPA on ebay. Are these the correct non-alnico replacement?
 
I have 828 cabinets and want to use the 515 so I understand I have two options and will be buying from GPA and the options are the 515G (same as the 515LF?) & the Alnico version 515C? Am I correct here?
 
I'm not intimately familiar with Bills versions of these drivers. I am assuming that the "LF" version is a higher power, higher excursion version of the 515-8G. Should be a GREAT driver. Looking at the slick sheet on it, he says it will work in any horn cabinet as well as other types of enclosures.

I've heard the GPA 515G's on more than one occasion, they are excellent. I expect the LF version is just more of the same.
 
Yes, quite audible. The parameters are published, and you should be able to deduce from them that those 2 will differ audibly.

What is your application?

515E is unsuitable as a horn driver. While suitable for horn loading, i am not a big fan of the 515C either.

If you're loading bass/midbass horns and are willing to spend the loot, go 515B and don't look back.

If you need to do it on a budget, buy new GPA 515G's and be done. :yes:

Thanks for that info on the "E" version!

Well, its all settled and no looking back now...... Going with the 5158LF!

I will report back when they arrive.

Right now I am debating as to whether or not I should paint my cabinets black. If its no one thing, its another!
 
. While suitable for horn loading, i am not a big fan of the 515C either.
It should be noted that i am referring to the original Altec 515C, not the modern GPA version which i suspect actually has more in common with the original 515B.
 
I'm not intimately familiar with Bills versions of these drivers. I am assuming that the "LF" version is a higher power, higher excursion version of the 515-8G. Should be a GREAT driver. Looking at the slick sheet on it, he says it will work in any horn cabinet as well as other types of enclosures.

I've heard the GPA 515G's on more than one occasion, they are excellent. I expect the LF version is just more of the same.

Well, Im going to have to contradict myself...after speaking with Bill I think the LF is the better choice... He convinced me, and I sense he was sincere :)

The 515G from what I understand has a lighter (flimsy) cone, the 515LF will go deeper (stiffer cone) without much diff in the Mid. I'm thinking that the LF is an improved non-alnico version. Can't wait!! :music:
 
It should be noted that i am referring to the original Altec 515C, not the modern GPA version which i suspect actually has more in common with the original 515B.



Gotcha! Yes, I would never consider dishing out that much cashola for the original 515C... :scratch2:
 
Last edited:
Drivers came in! WOW I am impressed. I lowered my port to 3.5" and like it right there, now I am going to experiment with the crossover.

I have the 511B/902-8B. Im going to try switching to 800hz. Probably pick up some 902-8A's down the road since I already noticed a strange type of "shrill" in the female voice in one song I was listening to. Not sure if its my Lpad setting too high, xover, or the 902-8B....problem too is that I cannot remember the song so I have to wait to hear it again
 
Back
Top Bottom