• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rogers ls3/5a anybody familiar?

rmichael21

New Member
I have a chance to pick up a pair of Rogers ls 3/5a for around 1200. I went to look at them and they are small! I couldn't audition. Has anybody heard these speakers? Should I get them!
Mike
 
Register to hide this ad
They would not b a speaker of choice for me in the 1200.00 market ,they do have their fans tho who will chime in
As dave said ubove not testy no buy..

hunter
 
BBC LS3/5s of any type are generally very good, but also VERY polarizing speakers. Most folks either Love them, or don't understand all the fuss... rarely does anyone hate them. If you haven't heard them for yourself, I wouldn't pony up that sort of cash without a good long audition.
 
Agree, you want to be sure they are working before forking over any money. And ask to pry off the grilles using a stiff credit card to see the drivers. Occasionally someone blows one and wrong drivers subbed in.
 
I have had the opportunity to listen to a fully restored pair owned by a fellow audio enthusiast. They certainly perform beyond their size bracket and have quite a following in the vintage audio community, but they are just not my cup of tea--I am partial to much larger JBL's, but to each his own. As others have mentioned, make sure you can inspect the drivers and audition them before dropping $1200 on them. Not knocking them in any way, but $1200 is a lot of coin for a pair of bookshelf monitors and there are a lot of speakers in that price bracket--so LISTEN, LISTEN, LISTEN.
 
They are NEAR FIELD MONITORS and as such become more impressive when you get them about 2-3.5 feet from you. They roll off smoothly at about 80Hz. They use KEF drivers (T27 Tweeter, B110 mid) and an early time align type crossover. The sound stage is several degrees above what you'd expect from such a tiny speaker.
 
Totally worth the money depending on what kind of LS3/5a. I wouldn't buy without listening to them mostly for the driver reason, replacing a driver is a deal breaker.
 
No audition possible is certainly a dilemma. You also don't say if they are 15 ohm or the later 11 ohm type. I own a 1978, therefore quite early, pair of Rogers 15 ohmers in the 5xxx range. All I can say is they are the most completely satisfying speaker I've owned and I've had some of the best of British, including ESL 63's, Kef 107/2s and Celestion Kingstons.

OK if you have a scorched earth policy rock/metal/seismic bass electronica collection these aren't going to be your cup of tea, but when it comes to classical, intimate jazz, acoustic music in general and anything vocal they are arguably without peer at any cost. You'll get insight into recordings and imaging that literally makes your speakers disappear. You'll also be amazed how little it matters to you that they are a mini monitor without full range capabilities - no full range ever sounded so good in the midrange where, let's face it, most of the music resides.

As far as them being worth the asking price? If you can somehow establish their integrity, I wouldn't hesitate to say that you'll be repaid in spades. Also be sure to visit www.ls35a.com for loads of tips.

Good luck.
 
Last edited:
If they are the ones on CL not too far far from me they look like they're in really good condition. I'm not good for an opinion on speaker prices since most of mine have been thrift or CL scores. I know the reputation of the L3/5's and if they are similar to my L3/6's then they will be great speakers for vocals and acoustic music or Jazz.
 
Back
Top Bottom