• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Russco Studio Pro Plinth Build

That looks great Andy, before you button it up, take a picture of the inside of the plinth. Another masterpiece.

BillWojo
 
When I get a chance I'll talk about the design theory of that bearing, stuck in a hotel and using my phone to respond. Anyway, it looks like my idea worked out nicely.
If we can get these Russco's to work as well as the Garrard 301and Thorens TD124 than folks will have a much less costly alternative.
Plus they have a really cool industrial look about them that I never tire of. First time I saw one on AK I said to myself, I'm going to get one of those someday. Just had to wait for the right deal to come along.

BillWojo
 
That looks great Andy, before you button it up, take a picture of the inside of the plinth. Another masterpiece.

BillWojo

Thanks Bill,

It doesn’t have any internals yet and I’m not settled on the arm board fit yet, thus the open hole…would like it to be centered but that would throw off the aspect ratio, at least in my head:confused:
 
Your awesome Andy! Looks like your end of the project is all wrapped up. I'm sure I'll put those tonearm boards to good use, like you I love to collect tonearms.
Those tonearm boards will look great on the matching plinths.

BillWojo
 
Used the last of the Walnut :( to make the boards no reason to let it just sit waiting for a project, they should look fantastic on those powder coated tables. You and Steve will have to drill them but the mounting holes are there.

There will be 2 Walnut arm boards in your box, one of them has a slight defect on the underside but it’s completely fine on the topside. One is about the same thickness as the original but the other is thicker, thought it might be interesting to compare between the two.

Also made some thick ones for mine while I was at it:cool:
 
Just an update to this:

The twin plinths are boxed up for shipping, should be at their owners soonest.

Ordered new Delrin idlers for my Studio Pro, one with a bronze bushing and one made entirely out of Delrin. Keep in mind that @BillWojo came up with a Delrin pad that replaced the ball bearing, so the ting is already much quieter even with the old idler.

Slowly working on my own Russco plinth, fitting it for layers, you will note that it’s a bit different from the others, l’m experimenting, and will only experiment on my own stuff, not with someone else’s stuff…. One thing I’m doing is creating hollow cavities with the layers.

Also keep in mind that it’s is just a rough draft, take note that there is tonearm “corridors” on each side of the layered insert. This will eventually have a tonearm on each side.

Been really busy with other projects so it may take a while to continue the updates….

BC1AFA65-BFAC-4093-BE5B-6FB34AE136D8.jpeg59B87676-C9B5-4CE9-92AD-10B43D9AC937.jpeg518A9734-4087-4539-95F8-5A0EAA33640D.jpeg
 
Andy, can't wait to start putting this all together.
Interesting design on your new plinth. What is your thinking on this? Vibration absorption along with sound absorption?
I think that Delrin idler will be a big improvement, can't wait to see them.

BillWojo
 
Andy, can't wait to start putting this all together.
Interesting design on your new plinth. What is your thinking on this? Vibration absorption along with sound absorption?
I think that Delrin idler will be a big improvement, can't wait to see them.

BillWojo

I’m sure Abe will have the idlers done soon but I’m not going to pester him because he’s currently behind in his real business…

Just musing about the possibility of creating chambers to “capture” noise and stop vibration pathways :blah:

Obviously this is highly speculative, but I’ll hook up the test equipment and see if it increases, decreases or makes little to no difference;)


VR
Andy
 
I kinda figured that was your idea. It will be interesting to see if it compares well or better than the other designs.
As soon as Steve gets the chassis back from the powder coater and I can pick them up I can start reassembling my table. Always something holding us up.

BillWojo
 
I kinda figured that was your idea. It will be interesting to see if it compares well or better than the other designs.
As soon as Steve gets the chassis back from the powder coater and I can pick them up I can start reassembling my table. Always something holding us up.

BillWojo

When the idlers get here it’ll light a fire underneath my rear and get it finished up :naughty:
 
Well thanks to Abe the new Russco idlers are here:banana:

Teach a Bible study on Thursday evenings and other commitments tomorrow will keep me from testing these until this weekend.

I’m sure the astute visitors to this site will notice the difference between them, we’ll see what happens….

815F018D-E45F-47FC-A2CB-FE97980BEDD3.jpeg CE7214D7-6FD6-49B6-B387-C6612DED0453.jpeg

VR
Andy
 
They look great Andy, can't wait to hear the results of your testing. Should be miles better that the lumpy one you have.

BillWojo
 
Hi Ken, feel free to post pics or start a new thread on your rebuild. Really not a lot out there on these cool tables. The Russco and QRK have a lot of the same DNA in their bones.

BillWojo
 
Have a few QRK tables, started working on last night. watching your thread!

Ken:

The most notable single change so far has been the use of Bill’s Delrin pad on the platter set screw. May not have noticed the effectiveness of the pad if mine didn’t have a rough idler…..

Look forward to seeing your QRKs


Andy
 
Back
Top Bottom