Bill:
It was late for me so let me answer some more of your questions somewhat coherently
Yes music was playing on occasion, and it was goooood’
One could probably figure out most everything with an oscilloscope, I’m just not the “one”
I’ve induced the motor noise, more of a vibration than noise, it wasn’t there before, so it’s obviously something I did
Of course we’ll get into specifics when you get yours back
Below is some general personal perceptions and pontificating, for general audience understanding of my eclectic, and eccentric ideas/behaviors
The focus of my work was identification of spurious noise, not really worrying about anything else, but the speed needed to be correct for that.
Not going to get into a debate about the phone app, one can find plenty of that, the phone app is useful,
to me, for on the fly speed setting and taking photos
One thing for sure, the phone itself can induce both W&F and speed issues in a table that doesn’t have any. Just place the phone in a slightly different location and both the speed and the W&F reading will change.
When finished with my noise reduction work I’ll use the old tube W&F tester (far right in photos) hooked up to the phono output and a known good test record to test the W&F
With all that said, I pay no attention to the phone W&F, always play some well known albums with some solo piano that have held notes as my first W&F testing, knowing if it’s a go/no go before doing more; the meter just provides me some additional information.
Albums like Waltz for Debby, several George Winston, Dave Brubeck, and my personal favorite, Passing Ships by Andrew Hill. Then for sibilance testing it doesn’t get much better than Sweet Jane by the Cowboy Junkies…
On to find the motor vibration issue….
VR
Andy