• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui AU-505, questions?

Greyhawk17

Well-Known Member
Howdy,
Pondering on a AU-505, black case, 70 watt, possibly 1973, any info,
comments on these amps?, my vintage site had zip on them....Thanks!
Cheers, T
 
Register to hide this ad
Au-505

Howdy,
Went from pondering to buying,......On that infamous auction site, will
post info when it rolls in....22wpc, and from what info I've dug up, quite
underrated, Thanks, Cheers!..........
 
Au 505

Howdy,
Went from pondering to buying,......On that infamous auction site, will
post info when it rolls in....22wpc, and from what info I've dug up, quite
underrated, Thanks, Cheers!..........
I don't have that one, but do have several AU 555 models.
Yes, way underrated and fine units, listening to one right now.
Casey:music:
 
Au-505

Hi Casey,
555's, NICE!, very tube-like I've heard,....The longer I'm at this pastime,
the more one appreciates Sansui's 'older' efforts,....Been looking for a
long time, for a AU-888 to drive a Cornwall resto project, eventually will
find it.......Thanks, T
 
Au-505

Howdy,
Yeah, saw that figure too, as well as one saying 18 was incorrect, will
have to drum up a spec sheet,....My 'loose' formula is to take wattage,
divide by 3, multiply by 2, at least for much of the 70's....However that
may be too esoteric, but has worked on most of my Sansui receiver/amps.
Whatever the 'reality', Sansui's sound (to my ears) better than most/all...
Have 2 nice Denon's, one 5 ch, one 2 ch, and while they have clarity, they
lack that special warmth, depth, that sui's embody....All that aside, am look-
-ing forward to running the 505 through its paces...Thanks, T
 
My kitchen system

I have a pair of AU-505 / TU-505 separates for my kitchen system - I started a thread on Sansui in the kitchen here. I mostly listen to my favorite jazz station, and I think it's a great match with the pair of Small Advents that I'm using with it. :music:

Here's a picture:

IMAGE_00696-1.jpg
 
Hi Casey,
555's, NICE!, very tube-like I've heard,....The longer I'm at this pastime,
the more one appreciates Sansui's 'older' efforts,....Been looking for a
long time, for a AU-888 to drive a Cornwall resto project, eventually will
find it.......Thanks, T

Ah yes, the AU-888. Mine is driving a pair of JBL L100's.
One of my favorites. I said one of OP.

100_1189.jpg


Rob
 
Au-505

I have a pair of AU-505 / TU-505 separates for my kitchen system - I started a thread on Sansui in the kitchen here. I mostly listen to my favorite jazz station, and I think it's a great match with the pair of Small Advents that I'm using with it. :music:

Here's a picture:

IMAGE_00696-1.jpg

Hi,
What a cool set up, beautiful units, hope to find the tuner some day,...My
kitchen is way to small for that set up, but have a 'pass-through' to the
living room/dining room, where my G-7700 resides, so the music is close by.
I'll be curious to see what speakers mate up with the 505, do have some
nice small advents that are not being used, will try them....Another jazz
fan eh,....used to live up your way, on Whidbey Is., Beautiful country!
Thanks,...Cheers,T......:thmbsp:
 
Au-888

Rob,
AU-888's too!, well should you ever decide to 'adopt' out, give me a
jingle, LOL....About 2 months ago was going to try and grab one from
'that' auction, had a hard day and fell asleep during the darn auction,
OUCH!,....Was the last one I've seen,....Oh well.....Cheers, T
 
Last edited:
Hi,
What a cool set up, beautiful units, hope to find the tuner some day,...My
kitchen is way to small for that set up, but have a 'pass-through' to the
living room/dining room, where my G-7700 resides, so the music is close by.
I'll be curious to see what speakers mate up with the 505, do have some
nice small advents that are not being used, will try them....Another jazz
fan eh,....used to live up your way, on Whidbey Is., Beautiful country!
Thanks,...Cheers,T......:thmbsp:

Hi T, Yeah I was lucky enough to find the amp and tuner together last year from a local CL listing. As I mentioned in the kitchen thread, I setup mine with the small Advents in the kitchen because I was bummed out to see these + the Small Advents not being used - because I know how sweet they sound and I don't want to sell them. Now I switch on the system as soon as I get home from work, and while I'm puttering in the kitchen. I'm hoping to have a mountain cabin one of these years - I'd hesitate to put too much stereo gear there because of break-ins and theives but I could see a small system like ths would be really nice in a small cabin. I think you'll be happy with the way the Small Advents sound with the AU-505. :thmbsp:
 
Au-505

Hi SpeakerLabFan,
When the amp rolls in next week, going to try the 'wee' Advents first,
Also picked up a pair of Phase Tech's 745 ES, that are great jazz speaks,
bought them at GW for 14.$, thinking of 'trade' goods, but they are so
sweet, and non-tiring, probably veneer them as keepers....It's surprising
some times when a 'cheap' purchase turns out so well,.....By the way your
equipment list is mighty impressive! Have a good one!....Cheers,T...
 
Back
Top Bottom