• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Sansui au717 or au7900

Register to hide this ad
Best to ask this question in the Sansui Forum.

I like the looks of the 7900. It was available just before the 717 and the build quality might be a bit better. Don't know the exact sequence of bean counter intervention in the Sansui line. Folks like the 717.

Hit the report button in your post and ask a mod to move it to Sansui if you want a lot more answers.
 
Hard to go wrong with the au717. I'M not really familar with the 7900.
But I don't find anything about the au717 quality lacking.
 
I haven't heard the AU-7900. I do own the AU-717 which is of exceptional build quality and sonics - a very highly regarded Sansui. Both have very different form factors if either of their esthetics are a priority for you. Sound is subjective so there is no way to really rank every Sansui made but if there were some kind of popularity list the AU-717 would certainly rank in the top. As far as "redone" goes, plan on budgeting for restoring or hiring out the restoration of either unit. Lots of great build threads here if you want tackle it yourself. Here is an excellent thread for the AU-717. Keep us posted. Would love to hear which direction you go as well as details on the restoration.

Some specs and links for you to compare -

AU-717
Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 6.15.58 PM.png

AU-7900
Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 6.16.06 PM.png
 
Last edited:
Sansui rookie here speaking...Had AU 717,don't have experience with 7900 but also had AU 11000a, which is kind of similiar age as AU 7900. AU 11000 is closer to AU 7900 than to AU 717...

Both highly regarded, you won't make mistake whatever your decision but I would go here with 7900 for a few reasons ( please AK crowd correct me if wrong )

There are few reasons I would go AU 7900

1. Sansui AU 717 is more complex machine ,has 4 large capacitors in power supply, this series is know for " famous " sansui glue and also have sealed main/volume ALPS pot which is not that easy to repair if one day goes bye bye. 717 is exeptional machine,don't get me wrong,just if it's not top notch you might have more work to do/ more money to spend on restauration/service. Also your 717 might be perfectly fine...just saying what potential issues migh be...

2. AU 717 series won't handle 4 ohm speakers if you like to crank. Again this is extreme situation, but I feel 7900 is better. Again you migh never have this issue...if you are casual listener you should be more than fine.

3. Sound preference: I was amazed with my 717 until I get my AU 9500...Older sansui series ( up until 77' ) had more raw, live, organic sound. 717 on the other hand is more precise, analyitical sound...Just what you prefer...

I believe the most important thing here is the state of the amplifier you're buying...As for the listening experience they will both provide great performance...my 2 c...

Good luck !
 
I like the aesthetics of the earlier 7900/7700 line more. Have a 7700 which is my favorite Sansui model & probably quite similar to a 7900. I've never heard a 717 but they are true dual mono amps aren't they? Maybe a more desirable feature.

The 7900 has those stupid RCA jacks on the back, that can be problematic. Even though they are easier to access, so the idea was good. They shouldn't have anchored them directly to the PCB though. The cable stress causes the joint to fail regularly.
 
I have never heard the 7900, I've listened to my 717 for many hours. Sound quality is very comparable to my newest addition, a Yamaha A-S1200 with mosfet transistors. My 717 has been thoroughly refurbished and operate and sounds like new. The few cosmetic wards do not bother me. I'm sure the 7900 is a fine sounding amp, and since it too is a Sansui I doubt you can go wrong with either one.
 
Filip I talks to the sonic changes most manufacturers were making in the mid-late 70s. The move from maybe more musical to more clear clean sound. Not that the early ones were not clean and clear just that the newer ones emphasizes that sound. Same with the Pioneer going from the blue dials to the -50 series receivers and even more with the -80 series. Part of this was the spec wars, who had the lowest distortion and such. The only AU I have is a 719 and I haven't compared it to other pieces but it is talked about as being even more 'accurate' then the 717.

The 7900 is the one I would choose because I like a musical sounding unit, not one etched with clarity.

All that said, @Chuck awker which one did you get? Both good choices.
 
The 7900 is the one I would choose because I like a musical sounding unit, not one etched with clarity.
I've found (with my AU-919) that it does take the right speakers to enjoy that clarity. With most speakers that I've used it with, it is a little too much. With my ribbon tweeter bookshelf's, that clarity is not at all "etched".
 
I’ve owned an AU-7900 since 1977. I restored it 2 years ago. I recently restored an AU-717, so I got a chance to listen to it. They are both great sounding amps. I prefer the AU-7900, because it has that more of that old time Sansui sound. The AU-717 has a bit more sterile sound than that, to me.
But tons of folks love the AU-717!
 
They are both great amps
The 7900 has some unique loudness boost features that you may like, the face plate decals are more durable than a 717, the 7900 has a smaller foot print and bit lighter if you need to move it around

The 717 has more control and a faster forward presentation - particularly in the bottom end, spec wise and power wise as others have mentioned the 717 wins

I could be happy with both - i use a 7900 in a small room for background listening its fab but have owned a 717 too and its very impressive
 
The build quality on the AU-717 is, overall, pretty well done. My only quibble is the flimsy pins used to mount the RCA jack boards to the back panel.
The AU-7900 is kind of a “unibody” construction. You really have to tear the whole thing apart to work on it, because the boards and heat sink are kind of integral to most of the assembly.
@bolero, yes, the RCA jacks going straight into the boards is problematic. One of the grounds on my Phono 1 input had a cracked solder joint. But there are two ground connections per jack, and the other was intact, so I never had issues. You have to twist the plugs in/out on this amp.
 
Ok,so I bought both,900.00,
Was looking forward to the 717 but had 7900 45 years ago.
Hooked 7900 up a couple days ago and loved the sound so much,with the nostalgia and all,that I really don't want to hook up the other but I know I have to.

Well done! (Sansui) Variety is the spice of life!
 
You have to try the AU-717. But I think the AU-7900 has the sound you’re looking for. Even my Eight doesn’t quite sound as good as my AU-7900.
 
Back
Top Bottom