• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Schiit Fans ?

All good. My current arrangement, one that hasn't changed for a few months now, is a Yamaha A-S801 as the core of a basement system and a Cambridge CXA81 as the prime mover in my main system. Very happy with both of them and the DAC in the Cambridge is good enough to have put a serious dent in my record playing habits. Good integrated amps are where it's at for me at this point.

Schiit makes the audio world more interesting and I still have a little Modi somewhere.
 
Oh yeah, I’ve got a Modi 3+, a Fulla and a Jil somewhere. On top of the Jotunheim and Bifrost 2/64. And Sys.

I hate that some Schiit products are so short-lived, as I would have definitely popped for a Jil...!

Also, my Bifrost MB OG at work, was acting twitchy this week. The Gen 5 USB input card failed. So I tried my Modi 3, using the same connections, and it worked. As a work around, until I can order a replacement Unison card, I'm using my Eitr to feed USB to coax digital into the Bimby. Surprisingly, the Eitr sounded even better than the USB card in the Bifrost. Smoother, more detailed and spacious. Bass improved too, with better timbre and punch. That makes me wonder what the Eitr is doing different, and if I should replace it...?
 
Just ordered a Mani 2 to try out.
Let me know what you think of that. I have one of those, which is a replacement for a Cambridge Audio 651P phono premap and I feel that with my current TT that the Schiit Mani II is an improvement. Who knows if it would be with some other cartridge, but it seems to be better matched to the Denon DL110 cart that I'm using currently, which surely is in no small part to the fact that it's so adjustable. I think that this preamp has maybe more adjustments than anything else in its price range... though I realize that this alone doesn't make it better.
 
I recently bought a SYS, but the v/c is in the area where they apparently don't track very well channel to channel, so I bought another used one last night. Left SYS and right SYS for volume and balance control on a budget. :thumbsup:
 
I own:
Freya OG
Gungnir MB (A2 w/Gen 5 USB)
Vali 2
Magni 3
Eitr
Loki
Modi MB
SYS x2

Gungnir MB is used every day in my primary system. It is a WORKHORSE. The SYS x2, Modi MB, Vali 2, and Magni 3 reside in my secondary system.

Freya OG was replaced by a Khozmo Passive. It like the Khozmo for sound purposes, but Freya has more outputs and more versatility, so I am considering dropping Freya back in. I’ve never done that, though.

I don’t have a need for the Eitr, and the Loki, although I thought it worked well, is something I don’t really need in my chain.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HB3
I got it up on hockey pucks to optimize punch and definition!

That reminds me of an old joke
I went to a fight last night and a hockey game broke out

I too have used hockey pucks for air flow and isolation but I've never quite figured if they improved the sound,
Your thoughts?

Michael
 
  • Like
Reactions: HB3
I just picked up another piece of Schiit: I’d been biamping my speakers, using my AVR as a pre, driving an emotiva mini-X 100 for the woofers and a P-P EL84 driven tube amp for the tweeters and mids. It unfortunately died last weekend, so I ordered a Schiit Sys, so I could switch between sources and control the volume with a single knob. It did’nt hurt that it’s made in the and it performs beyond expectations. It’s remarkably simple, with 2 inputs, a switch between two sources and a solitary volume knob. It adds zero color to the sources and adds no noise. While the price point was higher than its Chinese made equivalents, the build quality is quite high and the components seem well sourced. While I’m old enough to have misgivings about the clutter of multiple small devices cluttering my hi-fi stack, Schiit gear performs exceptionally well.

IMG_4695.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I recently decided to set up a system (speaker & headphone) in a small room. According to FedEx my Schiit (Gjallarhorn & Saga S) should arrive today. The rest will look something like:

Bluesound Node (N130)
SMSL SU-6
Omega Super 3i's & DeepHemp 8

Asgard 2
Loki
Audio-Technica ATH-R70x

These may see some use:
Eitr
Bifrost MB (upgraded OG)
Outlaw Audio ICBM-1
iPad mini
 
Last edited:
The reviews that I read also mentioned that the mkII version is a better sounding unit overall.
So far this :thumbsup::thumbsup:.

But I changed to an AT VM540VL the next day so I need to put the Grado and Mani back and swtich Manis after a few listens for another "comparison", either way money well spent to have something moreflexible.
 
I am not a Schiit fan or owner, but I will comment on the existence of a company called Big Ass Fans, of which my company buys some of their product.

My friend has one of those in his high-performance auto shop. I think if he put it on "high", he could lift the shop off the ground.

A few years ago, I bought the Loki. I wanted a bit more than bass & treble but didn't want to do the full graphic EQ monty. I grabbed a SYS at the same time because it was cheap. (Inexpensive, I mean.) The SYS came in super handy a few weeks ago. I was transferring some cassette tapes to wave/MP3 on my laptop through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. The 2i2 has a "touchy" input and dual input level controls. The tapes were varying levels and adjusting record level was a PITA. So I put the SYS between the deck and 2i2, and maxed the controls on the 2i2. Now setting the levels was a breeze with just one knob.

The SYS is a surprisingly useful little appliance for just a few bucks.
 
Back
Top Bottom