• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Schiit Fans ?

picked up a schiit saga s to use with an optoma nuforce sta-200 and it’s magical. the schiit saga s absolutely stomped the preamp of my c326bee into oblivion it wasn’t even comparable
I’m using a Saga S also … I also like it … I use passive half the time IMG_4130.jpeg
 
what amplifier?

I could see passive working well for some stuff or maybe some amps. I was told this sta-200 with its high gain may require the passive stage but I’ve found the active jfet buffer to be more enjoyable on the music I listen to which is a lot of metal
My amp is LINN LK 140… 95 WPC @ 8 ohms…140 WPC @ 4 ohms…
 
My Saga S has been repurposed as an attenuation device for my Lyr 3, i.e. a homebrew Lyr +.

EX-ulLSOPx3ep0lfEtjQde5NmGy-4gPTRlHxWorIoJkYq_VEh5nM7FMeN8v8HuBNpp95ATgS0m9bUCeSdqxHB-K94D5bC2exawqjMtrUhekvHu570DhWPwizW_L-bA-ZZy7Gdzhx7X6zeYZjFn7s-FaQMC41weAoYijnQ5ox44UTpbqtiMTlJ6itHBSF4MPBNXY7zNuvmFnhm3OE4gPoLnwt25qoJWzf6h7lxs6qt2i9b5sk7cgy8kUaR3SPqkR3PQiRJ7O9xlXwa6nxsYFqscdShQF690RTR_tVWowfQ-5jemfDsQb_doFCXLGOY9bRn_Wc1odhPDDr430Mb-yFHCf64E93ZJutVXNArO38ofxNXrWU153ln630c9OkeOtzCNXvwrNOqAXymrZml1jlV3-UlrFveeIV5ctqwvoT6rAUS1_3iz5ocMuDYTjc4OyVRIkLt18c2BFtgz65rQIjkXlgiZy2oQw0aPICHgaPYCmqMseqAS7CVVm3aLVlSW4y1Wfqeyf_xijR7mBW1GRDXGeZ4QKuXdfDFbPPmYn8FLQ_kC2ZCDGfQN-s5OxZ0zQPg55tBI-b82UUVyAgRu2-hurheszGSwXuvlmWKTwb7JtL7EkXA3UYufI9uWdFasPzXoPfXIrHqMABLBCC3r8MaZeRxxn2x-We1hlt7n-hphR8ydmdKIq5V6Cx3xMoGOwQV6SwYWpdaj1i09tdl513Xa5HRpdytxh9clYkicuayRi7MJH2UZH4U7LMj-NrXKYo5ViAV4Fv5GPcFNTNRSLPpsyHABabbGCPgc2tbZJxvEzDTlEOoNWSUH8Ab0riyL_WTL8qd64Kx6fcsZbOEknGXfIvwpdJaWJ4_rdPN4h8s7Y20futCme2pzq8gtwiEAXdq5IHVAGmu-j-lAbyS58EgK1DPYk64dUy7LVX8apOig9O2uR2vg=w1112-h626-s-no
 
I just picked up another piece of Schiit: I’d been biamping my speakers, using my AVR as a pre, driving an emotiva mini-X 100 for the woofers and a P-P EL84 driven tube amp for the tweeters and mids. It unfortunately died last weekend, so I ordered a Schiit Sys, so I could switch between sources and control the volume with a single knob. It did’nt hurt that it’s made in the and it performs beyond expectations. It’s remarkably simple, with 2 inputs, a switch between two sources and a solitary volume knob. It adds zero color to the sources and adds no noise. While the price point was higher than its Chinese made equivalents, the build quality is quite high and the components seem well sourced. While I’m old enough to have misgivings about the clutter of multiple small devices cluttering my hi-fi stack, Schiit gear performs exceptionally well.

View attachment 2901753
:D:D:D:D:D
 
what amplifier?

I could see passive working well for some stuff or maybe some amps. I was told this sta-200 with its high gain may require the passive stage but I’ve found the active jfet buffer to be more enjoyable on the music I listen to which is a lot of metal
That Nuforce amp is well known for not mating well with passives. the input impedance is a bit low for that.
 
That Nuforce amp is well known for not mating well with passives. the input impedance is a bit low for that.

sounds great with the passive just sounds better with the buffer for most the music I listen to. there’s music where the passive sounds better. even in passive mode it’s still a perfect match to the sta-200 which I was told it would be due to its high gain it would match well with a passive pre and it did so pretty contrary to your suggestion that also seems to oppose just about every bit of information I gathered about the sta-200 prior to purchasing it as well as my own ear after hearing the pair for myself.

honestly, where did you get that information? did you just make it up entirely? are you thinking of a different amp?
 
I must be remembering a different amp, but hopefully it was a Nuforce at least. It had an input imp. in the twenties when I checked it.
was gonna say this sta200 seems to match about as well as ive heard anything match with the schiit saga s (especially imo) considering the power hungry br-1 daytons its driving. the saga s destroyed the preamp of my nad c326bee and its far from a passive buffer. i read a lot of people actually recommended a passive pre for the sta200 prior to purchasing it, with the saga s being speculated as a likely well match
 
was gonna say this sta200 seems to match about as well as ive heard anything match with the schiit saga s (especially imo) considering the power hungry br-1 daytons its driving. the saga s destroyed the preamp of my nad c326bee and its far from a passive buffer. i read a lot of people actually recommended a passive pre for the sta200 prior to purchasing it, with the saga s being speculated as a likely well match
With an input imp, of 51k, you would expect it to match well. that's my experience.
 
I just added a Schiit Mani 2 Phono Pre. It stomps the TC-750LC that I'd been using previously. I'm not sure how it happened, but my 2-channel system is almost entirely small separates: this pile of Schiit, a DSP crossover, a half-sized Emotiva Mini-X 100A and a 2/3s space, 15 WPC, PP, EL 84 amp. Only my Oppo BDP 93 (along with my AVR) takes a full space. it's weird to me- I grew up in an era where more power and by association, more weight, was de rigueur for a decent sounding system, yet here I am marveling at the sound of these fly-weight components that are amply driving a pair of rather large, albeit extremely efficient speakers. While I'm not yet ready to go all in on class D amplification, I'm still team class A or A/B, (which for the listening levels I enjoy and my efficient speakers, effectively means class A), we live in a marvelous time where great sounding audio can be both affordable and quite compact. Will marvels never cease?
IMG_4954.jpeg
 
Best part of all, no silver faced BS, black is beautiful :biggrin:
one thing I do like about vintage gear is the wood cases and cladding. To that end, I've tarted up my AVR and disc transport; black goes well with mahogany:
1687950021119.jpeg

perhaps I'll see how it works with the Schiit stack, once I've caught up on my other projects.
 
Back
Top Bottom