• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Schiit Fans ?

Have two (2) Silver Aegirs Amps arriving today by FedEx

Mating with the upgraded Freya+

The idea is to run the Aegirs as vertical bi-amps using the two pairs of unbalanced (RCA) outputs on the Freya+

However... I will run each amp as standard stereo for a couple of hours before the vertical bi-amping

Later down the week will try running them as XLR Mono but I am not that enthused with that arrangement but who knows :dunno:
 
Put 6 hrs on one... Have the other one playing now 2 hrs in

Aegirs.png


No mechanical noise or hum

No noise or hiss through speakers

Both seem OK
 
Have two (2) Silver Aegirs Amps arriving today by FedEx

Mating with the upgraded Freya+

The idea is to run the Aegirs as vertical bi-amps using the two pairs of unbalanced (RCA) outputs on the Freya+

However... I will run each amp as standard stereo for a couple of hours before the vertical bi-amping

Later down the week will try running them as XLR Mono but I am not that enthused with that arrangement but who knows :dunno:
hm. active crossovers?
 
@izeek11

Down the road maybe... Next configuration will be MONO

I've almost been talked into abandoning the vertical bi-amping unless I have a Speaker/Vol problem... I dont believe I will
 
@izeek11

Down the road maybe... Next configuration will be MONO

i ask because my gear is also vertically biamped passively. there lots of debunking, but hey. i like it that way.
i tried bridged mono and wasnt thrllied. maybe ill give it another go sometime.


I've almost been talked into abandoning the vertical bi-amping unless I have a Speaker/Vol problem... I dont believe I will
 
.

i ask because my gear is also vertically biamped passively. there lots of debunking, but hey. i like it that way.
i tried bridged mono and wasnt thrllied. maybe ill give it another go sometime.

Most people with 2 Aegirs claim the Sound Signature is quite a bit different between Stereo v. Mono... Not necessarily one is better than the other but the speaker matters
 
I've read over at the Schiit Forum at Head-Fi, that any Schiit amp, with balanced inputs, won't have as great an issue with driving 4 Ohm speakers, as most bridged amps typically do. Jason has designed their balanced amps, to where one channel each drives the plus and minus waveforms when bridged. So, this doesn't stress the amps as much, when driving lower impedances. This doesn't apply to the new Rekkr, since it only has single-ended RCA inputs, but Gjallarhorn, Vidar, and Aegir are all balanced amps. Bridge to mono, and see how it sounds...! :)
 
XLR Bridge Mono

2 hockey pucks giving them air

Two.png


Can tell y'all now... The lower mids & bass are not as fat or rounded. Although Stereo SQ wasn't bad but the change made the difference more apparent for a few minutes

After a couple more hours will bring in better speakers... Amps passed QC with flying colors. Safe to go
 
.

The idea is to run the Aegirs as vertical bi-amps using the two pairs of unbalanced (RCA) outputs on the Freya+

.

Most people with 2 Aegirs claim the Sound Signature is quite a bit different between Stereo v. Mono... Not necessarily one is better than the other but the speaker matters


Listening to Aegirs as vertical bi-amps now... Driving Klipsch Forte (98 dB 1 watt 1 meter)

So... this will be my new so called Main System: Up Graded Freya+ --> 2 Aegirs --> Forte

The Forte's love the bloomier SQ of the Aegir in stereo mode and they don't need the extra wattage of the Mono mode

BTW-- The Mono Aegirs were really good with my ELAC Uni-Fi Reference UBR62 (85 dB at 2.83 v/1m)
 
Last edited:
I posted this in a different thread but wanted to share here as well…

I’ve had a Gjallarhorn in my main system for a week now. It’s fantastic.

My main system has a pair of Aegir monoblocks, a Freya S pre with inputs from a Modius DAC (xlr) and Mani 2. Speakers are ADS L1230s, which are pretty efficient (~92 dB).

Honestly the Gjallarhorn sounds really really good even at very loud levels.

as a more relevant test I used the Gjallarhorn to drive my pair of Klipsch RP600m’s. These are fronts for my video surround system. I am massively impressed how good the Klipsch sound with this amp. Even driven really hard. And I’m sitting ~12’ from my speakers! The bass punch is phenomenal.

I’ll do some additional critical listening over the weekend. The Gjallarhorn is certainly no Aegir but damn does it sound good. For a desktop setting or even a small to medium sized room (my room is on the larger size) this amp would be more than enough.
 
I suspect the single Aegir would drive my Tekton Double impacts no problem. I don't need super loud .
It could probably gets those stupid loud. The ones I heard were being run with a DYI 20WPC Class A and it got very loud in a big room.
 
I just decided to go back to an integrated after most of the last year with Schiit Vidar/Saga S/Modi 3E separates. I liked the Schiit gear and had no issues with it. Well, there was one quibbling dislike, which was having to reach into my console and behind the Vidar and Saga S to turn each on when I wanted to use the system. There was also the one minute delay for the Saga before it was ready to use, but these are such minor complaints! They sounded really good as well, although I would guess that the user who can do with less power would do best with the Aegir vs the Vidar.

Because of my seemingly unfixable yearn to engage in gear churn, I found myself recently looking at integrated amps, particularly the Yamaha A-S801, which I owned for a short time before the Schiit gear. I really covet the upper-tier Yamahas starting with the A-S1200 but my gear churn yearn includes an unfortunate value drive, so $2000+ for the better integrated amps wasn't in the cards at this time. Anyway, I found an A-S801 at a substantial discount and grabbed it. The good news for Schiit fans is that my Vidar/Saga S/Modi 3E were very easy to sell, although they didn't hold value quite as well as some other makes I've owned. I sold them for quite a bit more than the Yamaha cost, so there is that. As far as sound quality, they're pretty close to my ears, and now one button on, on the remote control instead of two in the back of the console.

So, for the first time in a number of years I own no Schiit gear at all. I'll continue to follow them and would guess that I'll be back for more Schiit in due time.
I had to reply to this because I’m in the same groove. Loved my Schiit Freya + and Vidar, but became tired of the reach around.
I wasn’t sure about the Yamaha A-S501, so bought a used one and became such a fan that I went hunting for Yamaha’s upper tier line. Bought a used A-S1100 that I’ve had for about a month now.
It’ in the same league as the Freya/Vidar, it’s that good. Better than my misstep, the Halo Hint(too warm sounding with not much depth to the imaging).
I can’t believe it’s only 90 wpc, the thing weighs 50 lbs. I’ve never had it past 11:00 on the volume dial. But.

I’m a Schiit fan, Always will be. I still have the Bifrost 64 and Jotunheim. The new Syn looks very interesting too.
 
I had to reply to this because I’m in the same groove. Loved my Schiit Freya + and Vidar, but became tired of the reach around.
I wasn’t sure about the Yamaha A-S501, so bought a used one and became such a fan that I went hunting for Yamaha’s upper tier line. Bought a used A-S1100 that I’ve had for about a month now.
It’ in the same league as the Freya/Vidar, it’s that good. Better than my misstep, the Halo Hint(too warm sounding with not much depth to the imaging).
I can’t believe it’s only 90 wpc, the thing weighs 50 lbs. I’ve never had it past 11:00 on the volume dial. But.

I’m a Schiit fan, Always will be. I still have the Bifrost 64 and Jotunheim. The new Syn looks very interesting too.

A Schiit and Yamaha fan too. I was using my RX-A3030 AVR for music and movies, until I bought a used Schiit Saga tube pre and paired it with an Adcom GFA-5400 amp. The Saga/Adcom pairing easily outperformed my Yamaha receiver, even if it was a TOTL unit. Now, I patch it in for just surround use.
 
Back
Top Bottom