• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Schiit Fans ?

They are at it again...

Gjallarhorn Amp

Stereo, 8 Ohms: 10W RMS per channel
Stereo, 4 Ohms: 15W RMS per channel
Mono, 8 ohms: 30W RMS


Fully discrete, current feedback topology is amazingly fast (-3dB above 1MHz before input filter) and measures well, especially for such a simple stage.
2 pairs of 10A output transistors per channel, including one pair used for Continuity S stage to provide greater transconductance linearity.
100% DC coupled throughout, no capacitors in the signal path.
Fully linear, all-internal power supply with 80VA toroidal transformer and 30,000uF filter capacitance in the main rails, plus 13,200uF for the boost rails.
Separate discrete regulated boost rails improve efficiency and are ground-referenced (not stacked) to ensure each channel’s performance is independent from the other.
Analog protection system uses a “least invasive methodology”—no active devices in signal path, no current limiting, no crowbars—just current and thermal sensor and DC servo.
4-layer PC board for optimal layout and current flow.
No fan.

Gjallarhorn will run 4 ohm speakers in mono just fine—up to a point. At which point, the over-current or over-thermal protection will kick in and your fun will end. That point is about 30W output, just like into 8 ohms. So not very exciting. If you need a ton more power, there’s always Vidar.

https://www.schiit.com/products/gjallarhorn


gjallarhorn-main.jpg

You missed the new baby amp.

Rekkr

Power Output:


Stereo, 8 Ohms: 2W RMS per channel
Stereo, 4 Ohms: 3W RMS per channel
Mono, 8 ohms: 4W RMS

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, +/-0.01db, 3Hz-500KHz, +/-3dB

THD: <0.001%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS into 8 ohms

IMD: <0.001%, CCIR, at 1V RMS into 8 ohms

SNR: >120dB, A-weighted, referenced to full output

Damping Factor: >100 into 8 ohms, 20-20kHz

Gain: 4 (12dB)

Input Sensitivity: AKA Rated Output (Vrms)/Rated Gain. Or, 4/4. You do the math.

Input Impedance: 20k ohms SE

Crosstalk: >80dB, 20-20kHz

Inputs: L/R RCA jacks for stereo input, switch for mono input on R jack

Topology: fully discrete, fully complementary current feedback, no capacitors in the signal path

Oversight: over-current and over-temperature sensors with relay shut-down for faults

Power Supply: 6VAC, 2A wall-wart, 12,000uF filter capacitance, plus boosted, regulated supply to input, voltage gain and driver stages

Power Consumption: 12W maximum

Size: 5” x 3.5” x 1.25”

Weight: 1 lbs

rekkr-front-black.jpg
 

Attachments

  • rekkr-front-black.jpg
    rekkr-front-black.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sony DVP-S7000
Marantz CD6006
Onkyo C7030

All cause the relays to click.

Are you using Toslink optical for a digital connection? From what I've read, it is the only connection that uses a muting relay. If you can, try the RCA coax connection, to see if that helps? I use USB on my Bifrost, and I've never heard the relay.

Oh, the Uber upgrade uses Gungnir based analog output circuitry. Is should sound very nice, as such.
 
Are you using Toslink optical for a digital connection? From what I've read, it is the only connection that uses a muting relay. If you can, try the RCA coax connection, to see if that helps? I use USB on my Bifrost, and I've never heard the relay.

Oh, the Uber upgrade uses Gungnir based analog output circuitry. Is should sound very nice, as such.
Yes I usually use the optical Toslink. I'll try the coax. Thank you!
 
Gjallarhorn

I would say a 'simple' design... Emotiva like
Class A/B though. No Class D from Schiit, unless they design it. Even then, I doubt that'll ever happen. Also, I have to admit too, I like that big toroidal transformer, in that little amp...!


I'm setting up a desktop for a friend. The competition is an Audioengine N22 amp. Audioengine has a line of speakers that seem to be made for the for the N22. I know little about Class D amps I fear they might sound too bright. I too like the fact that the Gjallarhorn have a big transformer. My question is what nearfield desktop speakers would work well with the Gjallarhorn? Say speakers under $500 that aren't too bright. Any thoughts?

Michael
 
I'm setting up a desktop for a friend. I know little about Class D amps I fear they might sound too bright. I too like the fact that the Gjallarhorn have a big transformer. My question is what nearfield desktop speakers would work well with the Gjallarhorn? Say speakers under $500 that aren't too bright. Any thoughts?

Class D does = too bright.

Madisound single driver kits would be an excellent match for the Gjallarhorn.
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/full-range-speaker-kits/
 
I'm setting up a desktop for a friend. The competition is an Audioengine N22 amp. Audioengine has a line of speakers that seem to be made for the for the N22. I know little about Class D amps I fear they might sound too bright. I too like the fact that the Gjallarhorn have a big transformer. My question is what nearfield desktop speakers would work well with the Gjallarhorn? Say speakers under $500 that aren't too bright. Any thoughts?

Michael

I've not auditioned any current bookshelf speakers. But, many over at the Head-Fi Schiit Forum, seem to be trying these with Gjallarhorn:

KEF Q150

Elac Uni-Fi UB5

Paradigm Monitor Atom SE

I think these would work as well:

Klipsch RP-160M

SVS Prime - Jason at Schiit is using these.

Wharfedale Diamond 12.0

JBL Stage A130

Good luck.
 
I have a Gjallarhorn on the way and will test with some of my more efficient speakers including Klipsch RP 600M.
Just to put the 10w into some perspective. I have a Schiit Aegir (actually a pair) that produces 20 watts. So effectively just 3db better than Gjallarhorn. A single Aegir drives my ADS L1230s and JBL L100ts to ridiculous levels. And the sound is clean, no distortion. Granted the efficiency of the ADS and LBLs are >90 dB/watt. But still 20 watts is more than sufficient for these speakers. For comparison the speakers sound obviously better with the Aegir than when driven by my Yamaha M40 (125 watts). Ok, the M40 is almost 40 years old but it is in fantastic condition.

point is, if your speakers are efficient and particularly if you are listening in the near field 10 watts is more than enough. With a 90 dB efficient speaker 1 watt outputs 90 dB SPL (which is LOUD). The Gjallarhorn with 10 watts would give you an additional ~10 dB of headroom above 90 dB to accommodate transients and louder passages. More than enough.
 
I've not auditioned any current bookshelf speakers. But, many over at the Head-Fi Schiit Forum, seem to be trying these with Gjallarhorn:

KEF Q150

Elac Uni-Fi UB5

Paradigm Monitor Atom SE

I think these would work as well:

Klipsch RP-160M

SVS Prime - Jason at Schiit is using these.

Wharfedale Diamond 12.0

JBL Stage A130

Good luck.
I have a pair of the Elac UB5's. They will be a good test for the amp because they are hard to drive. Low sensitivity and being four ohm. I'm anxious to see the result.
 
the speakers sound obviously better with the Aegir than when driven by my Yamaha M40 (125 watts). Ok, the M40 is almost 40 years old but it is in fantastic condition.

Hornbostel, you bring up interesting point. My NS1000s also have an SPL of 90 but they need a lot of current. Many light weight amps can't drive them. Likewise with my B&W 805M. I like amps with big trannies and old school pronouns

I'm also a Yamaha fan boy and too iron age prehistoric.
I'm traveling more and staying with friends say for 3 or 4 weeks.
I'd like to set up and leave a nice little desk top system that I could use and leave for my guests

My collection of audio gear tends to be heavy, very last century and needing a little TLC
My Yamaha M4s, my Yamaha NS200 are very heavy and lack a desktop elegance

So I've become very interested in the Gjallarhorn and Aegir and speakers that go together
I have a pair of Focal JM lab speakers which I like but they're getting older but not wiser

I tend to find most metal tweeters too bright
So thanks for all the suggestions, lots of modern speakers to explore

Michael
 
(doing my best to stay away from money/price discussion)

1x Freya +

2x Vidar (Mono blocks)


In that ^ realm which other maker's pre/amp or integrated would be in the same league SQ wise?

Also... Schiit Fans. Do you like (happy with) those products?

Thanks
Love my mani. Great value.
 
ChatGPT

Me: Are Schiit audio products any good?

ChatGPT: Schiit Audio is a company that produces high-end audio equipment, including amplifiers, DACs, and headphones. The company has received generally positive reviews for their products, with many reviewers praising the quality of sound and build for the price point. Additionally, Schiit Audio is known for their unique marketing and branding, which has helped them develop a loyal following among audio enthusiasts.

That being said, like all audio equipment, the quality of Schiit Audio products can be subjective and dependent on personal preference. It's always a good idea to do some research and read reviews from multiple sources before making a purchase, especially if you're investing a significant amount of money into audio equipment.
 
Back
Top Bottom