• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Schiit Fans ?

Just went to the site, I was going to pull the trigger on the $749 Freya +. I should have done it when I was looking Monday, they still had black avalible, I do not do silver gear.

Oh well, procrastination is a thing.
Is that pronounced Fraya or Freeya?
 
I have used the Skoll for about 20 minutes and it is a definite improvement over the Mani 1. Since my cartridge is an Ortofon 2M Bronze, I went with the default settings for a MM cartridge and it sounds amazing.
With my Ortofon Bronze (the Concorde Music cartridge) I set the Skoll to 47K Ohm, 40 db gain (sometimes 50 db) and the capacitive loading to 150pF since Ortofon calls for 200-300pF -sounds much better than at 50pF which is best for Audio Technica cartridges.
 
With my Ortofon Bronze (the Concorde Music cartridge) I set the Skoll to 47K Ohm, 40 db gain (sometimes 50 db) and the capacitive loading to 150pF since Ortofon calls for 200-300pF -sounds much better than at 50pF which is best for Audio Technica cartridges.
Thank you. I just tried changing the capacitive setting to 150pf and it does sound much better than at 50pf. I prefer leaving the gain at 40db and just turn up the volume on the Kara.
 
Thank you. I just tried changing the capacitive setting to 150pf and it does sound much better than at 50pf. I prefer leaving the gain at 40db and just turn up the volume on the Kara.
I generally use the 40 db setting with the Ortofon and the 50db with my AT-VM740ML as it has quite a lot less gain than the Ortofon (6mV vs. 3.5mV). My Project Tube Box DS2 phono preamp has a 45 db setting that I use for all carts.
 
Well, Schiit, my Gjallarhorn amplifier in black is now back-ordered to December 18, previously I was told it would ship out last Friday. So it really will be a Xmas present, not a birthday present...

Supply chain problem? Or a giant surge of orders from folks wanting to buy before tariff impact hits?
 
How do you find it in comparison to Skoll? Which one wins?
I call it a tie in sound quality, Skoll wins in ease of use (REMOTE CONTROL) and price. I had to swap the stock Psvane 12AX7 tubes in the DS2 for some E83CC frame grid tubes to get the sound up to par.
 
Well, Schiit, my Gjallarhorn amplifier in black is now back-ordered to December 18, previously I was told it would ship out last Friday. So it really will be a Xmas present, not a birthday present...

Supply chain problem? Or a giant surge of orders from folks wanting to buy before tariff impact hits?
Tariffs should have no effect--most of the stuff is American made except for some Japanese capacitors and transistors
 
I ordered a matched quad of the new APOS Ray Select 6SN7 tubes to go in the Freya+ in the living room system, the Psvane Horizon CV181-AT (6SN7) will go into the Freya+ in the office. BTW, the Horizon tubes are getting better with every use... I have them playing the classical FM station in Santa Fe right now, they have become very well balanced as the bass decreased a bit which sounds better(still plenty of it when called for). The mid range is very dynamic and the highs are just so sweet. Beginning to love these things..

The Ray tubes are supposed to sound better, so I figured I'd get a set before the upcoming tariffs jack the price up 50%...

View attachment 3349873
I have had the Ray 6SN7 Select tubes going for around 50 hours now... I thought they were merely OK, until I realized just today that I had not done anything to the settings on my Loki Max EQ: they were still set for my 1950's Sylvania 6SN7GTB chrome dome tubes which have a lot of bass, a bright mid range and a very sparkly top. I had the bass set to neutral, and the mid range and highs turned down not quite half way. I reset the Loki Max to neutral on all settings and these Ray tubes came alive!

The Loki Max has 15 positive and 15 negative steps per control and the frequencies overlap quite a bit (these are generalizations taken from a couple tests I saw on YouTube): 20HZ goes up to around150hz, the 120Hz control extends from 80 to 300Hz, the 400HZ does 300 to 900hz, the 2 Khz goes from 1000 to 3500khz, the 6Khz does 4000 to 10,000Khz, and the 16Khz does 11000 to 20,000Khz (seems Schiit kind of picked a number in the mid range of each control).

After playing FM radio, streaming on the NodeX, CDs, and several vinyl Lp's I ended up witha decent base line for these tubes. I have the 20, 120 and 400Hz turned up 5 clicks (up 1/3), the 2Khz set at neutral, 6Khz set at -3, and the 12Khz at -5 (down 1/3). With these settings the Ray tubes are magnificent: dead silent, zero microphonics, sound stage is wide, deep, and high- they are 3D "holographic" as all hell. The Psvane Horizon tubes I bought just before these sound very very similar but were a bit microphonic sitting on the top shelf in the main system, but they are working very well in the office with the Freya+ sitting on the middle shelf with 1.5" of maple butcher block above and below them.
 
I’m singing the praises of my lil’ Sys. I’m using it to attenuate the right channel between my Freya+ and Aegir 2 to correct it’s stepping all over the left channel. There’s a very hard early reflection on the right and nearly none on the left. 1st time in 48 years I needed balance control in my living room. Meanwhile this relatively new amp & preamp combo are very satisfying driving my B&O’s. The Skol is fantastic on the default settings with my Acutex tri-pole MI cartridge. Turntable rotation time is near and I’m looking forward to playing with the Skol and my hot rod Denon DL-103r.
 
.
My little Schiit Rekkr’s showed up a day early so I got them set up. Before and after pics show the class D gear that the little Schiits replaced. Soundwise, they have that textured sound, for lack of a better word, that I feel most of my Schiit stuff has. The class D stuff is crystal clear and in your face like bright sunshine. Shoo fly, shoo.
.IMG_0060.jpegIMG_0061.jpeg
 
Jason doesn't make class D stuff because he doesn't think it sounds good enough to hang the Schiit name on (he will probably get there in the future). While Class D has gotten much much better than it was, IMO it is still not all the way "there" yet, but it does work quite well in subwoofer plate amps and home theater set ups.
 
Jason doesn't make class D stuff because he doesn't think it sounds good enough to hang the Schiit name on (he will probably get there in the future). While Class D has gotten much much better than it was, IMO it is still not all the way "there" yet, but it does work quite well in subwoofer plate amps and home theater set ups.
And in the flagship B&O Beolab 90 powered speakers. 14 x 300w ICE amps plus 4 x 1000w Heliox Class D amp for 8200w per SIDE. They do sound amazing. They adapt to the room and can move the sweet to your listening position. I got to play with them for 15 minutes at my neighborhood B&O store. Worth $150k? It’s academic, at least for me.
IMG_2234.jpeg
 
Anybody get a Gungnir 2 yet? I am thinking about it, do not want to spend the extra to get a Yggy+ (Though you can get a GS2 for only $100.00 more than a Gungnir 2),
looking to step up from a Modius.
 
Back
Top Bottom