• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Schiit Fans ?

I have a Yggdrasil, was feeling flush with cash when I bought it, and do not regret it. I don't think the Gungnir was out at the time.
You will hear the step up from a Modius (not a diss at all on that DAC), but Yggy vs. Gungnir is probably splitting hairs territory.
 
I had to do a little work on my first Freya+this morning: after I had drilled all the holes in the base of the case it got tweaked enough that it was very hard to get the cover back on and the volume control was sticking at 10 o'clock when decreasing the volume, and last night it stopped working all together. I could hear the motor trying to turn the pot, but it didn't have enough torque to rotate it, so something was putting undue pressure on the volume pot. I got out my magnifying glass and discovered the the top of the case was what was causing the pressure, so I drilled the large hole out to 3/8" and the small one to 9/64". This gave enough room for the cover to slide right on and the remote volume control works as it should... saved having to send it back to Schiit for repair, which they would have said no way as soon as they saw my handy work with the drill:
HOLES in Freya+ 001.jpg109_3927.jpg
 
Last edited:
^ Maybe, maybe not, it all depends on presentation. This quote below was from 2020. Maybe they're partial to OE's of they're very early products? I bought my Lyr when they were fresh out of the gate. I bought it to support the shear audacity or lunacy of a couple audio geeks that dared to manufacture electronics in the P.R. of California sourcing parts made in the USA as much as possible. That's an idea I'd like to see catch on.

Back on topic - Yes I’ve always received excellent service from Schiit. The last time in March was beyond expectation. I sent my 1st gen Lyr for repair because I broke the leads to 4 little square things bolted to the case trying to get it apart to clean the board after someone spilled coke on it. I stated as much in my RA request. So a week later I get an email saying it’s fixed and tracking info for its return. Years out of warranty and yet no charge? I called to ask why. They said they appreciated my honesty since they don’t get a lot of that, so they didn’t want to charge me. Not even for the next day Priority Mail.
My current Schiit gear includes Lyr hp amp, Bifrost Uber & Bifrost 4490 DACs* and a Sys.

* always on
 
Last edited:
.
My little Schiit Rekkr’s showed up a day early so I got them set up. Before and after pics show the class D gear that the little Schiits replaced. Soundwise, they have that textured sound, for lack of a better word, that I feel most of my Schiit stuff has. The class D stuff is crystal clear and in your face like bright sunshine. Shoo fly, shoo.
.View attachment 3363715View attachment 3363716

Definitely cute little amps. They seem to have been all run out- no longer listed on that Schiit site anymore.
 
.
My little Schiit Rekkr’s showed up a day early so I got them set up. Before and after pics show the class D gear that the little Schiits replaced. Soundwise, they have that textured sound, for lack of a better word, that I feel most of my Schiit stuff has. The class D stuff is crystal clear and in your face like bright sunshine. Shoo fly, shoo.
.View attachment 3363715View attachment 3363716
I had a pair driving the tweeters on my 3-way horns. They sounded nice, but I felt they might be lacking dynamics, even if I never listen above 85dB on 106dB sensitive speakers. I replaced them with a pair of class D Mono blocks and couldn’t be happier. The Rekkrs are great, but not for the application I’d employed them; the granular Schiit sound is great for direct radiators, but less than ideal for low-distortion horns
 
The new Freya+ and Psvane Horizon tubes arrived late yesterday afternoon... inital impression is very good: lots of power, strong bass, sweet clear mids, and highs that cut a bit of the bright top end down. I have it playing the classical FM station right now and will let it play all day (Psvane says the tubes need about 6 hours to break in). I will give it a good listen this evening with David Gilmour's Luck and Strange and Brothers in Arms.

I had to do a little file work on the pins on one tube to get it to fit in the socket saver- a bit too much solder on some of the pins, making them too fat to fit, but this set of socket savers is very tight on any tube- it probably would have fit in the Freya socket without a problem... at least they arrived undamaged. They cost about the same as a 1950's-60's 6SN7GTB which can be a crap shoot- at least these are returnable if they turn out to suck !

View attachment 3343488View attachment 3343489
I have run the crap out of these Psvane Horizon CV181-AT tubes (over 150 hours now) and they are... magnificent... They went through a few days of being overly microphonic, but that has pretty much disappeared- you have to actually knock on the tube itself to hear any microphonics. The 3D holographic effect these tubes create is amazing and the bass is deep but crisp. These sound best if you let them warm up for 1/2 hour before doing any critical listening.

The new RAY 6SN7 tubes are likewise wonderful and are completely silent- no microphonics ever- they have about 75 hours on them and are a bit bright right now, but my Loki Max EQ fixes that. These tubes sound best after a really long warm up - they are fine after 1/2 hour, but get really good after four hours.

Anyway I'm impressed with both these tubes, I hope they last a good long time (that is the last test!).
 
I had to do a little work on my first Freya+this morning: after I had drilled all the holes in the base of the case it got tweaked enough that it was very hard to get the cover back on and the volume control was sticking at 10 o'clock when decreasing the volume, and last night it stopped working all together. I could hear the motor trying to turn the pot, but it didn't have enough torque to rotate it, so something was putting undue pressure on the volume pot. I got out my magnifying glass and discovered the the top of the case was what was causing the pressure, so I drilled the large hole out to 3/8" and the small one to 9/64". This gave enough room for the cover to slide right on and the remote volume control works as it should... saved having to send it back to Schiit for repair, which they would have said no way as soon as they saw my handy work with the drill:
View attachment 3374759View attachment 3374967
Looks clean enough, but why not just place some small stick-on feet on the sides of the chassis and leave the bottom cover off and preserve the warranty and resale value?
 
I like the little Gjallarhorn amp in combo with the Saga 2 preamp...I've had them in rotation for several weeks, very nice sound for a small to medium sized room. Just took out of my workroom system, plan to try downstairs with some ADS speakers when I get a minute to shuffle everything...
 
I like the little Gjallarhorn amp in combo with the Saga 2 preamp...I've had them in rotation for several weeks, very nice sound for a small to medium sized room. Just took out of my workroom system, plan to try downstairs with some ADS speakers when I get a minute to shuffle everything...
is the 2 worth the upgrade from 1?
 
is the 2 worth the upgrade from 1?
You should look at the features and decide. I wanted no tubes, a decent remote, four inputs and selectable gain. What I like best is the resistor-based volume control (very accurate channel matching at all volumes) and the headphone jack. The selectable gain is less of a thing than I imagined. It's nice to have the passive option, for line level, but the difference between gain 2 and gain 3 is slight, I imagine most users will just keep on one or the other and not vary that often.
 
I’d love to hear the new tube phono preamp versus the solid state models from Schiit but at $1600 I’m not so curious. The fact that the same design team does them all and presumably is proud of the results is intriguing, since the technologies are so different.
 
I would be hard pressed to spend $1700 when my $400 Skoll sounds so good already... I do have a project Tube box DS2 that could be replaced by a Stjarna (once it is available in silver)...
 
Back
Top Bottom