• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Serious Compacts


That would be interesting, but I do not think it would make owners of current NEX system lenses very happy. I have to believe that they do not cover the entire 35mm-equivalent frame; they'd vignette seriously on the larger sensor. So we're talking yet another new lens system? Sounds odd to me. Not that it would not be cool, it very much would be. And I would LOVE to see it.
 
No, looks like they're building a full frame RX1. :scratch2:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/amazing-sony-rx1-mirrorless-leaks-and-so-new-a99-pics/

255559_10152078517930507_254424151_n.jpg


rx1-top.gif
 
Popular Science: Don't buy a DSLR

http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2012-08/dont-buy-dslr
Just getting into photography? Great! When you're looking for a camera, keep on walking past those DSLRs--as of now, their moment is over.

The comments are interesting, most of them equating ILC's with Point 'n Shoots. :sigh: The American buying public is sooo far behind the Asians. Took us years to catch up on cellphones, too, but we got there.
 
I know I'm late to this party, but I just got a Olympus Pen E-pl1 and it's really
nice, I just needed a small camera to drop in my bag to take to work, to take
pictures of my design work, so far the pictures are great and with 12 megapixels
I can crop if needed and the photos don't have the smearing effect of the little
consumer camera's (point and shoot's) that they sell all over the place.

Tube
 
Having an Olympus epl 2, it has taken over for my Nikon D40 as my walk around camera. I still prefer my Nikon D300 and am looking to go full frame next year. The DSLR is not going away, but I do think the entry level DSLRs will be greatly effected. Not only do I prefer the controls that aren't buried as much in DSLRs, but picture quality in my opinion is still much better. Even my D40 outperforms the PEN camera. I bought the PEN becasue I got a great deal on it. But if you were to buy like the general public, Nikon D3200 for example is very competitive with the PEN cameras in price and will outperform them. That being said, I love using the Olympus PEN. It has a great feel and is a great portrait camera. And feel it feels more stealthy to carry around.
 
Next round of rebates begin next week so I'm buying a P& S then for daughters VB, nature walks and chronicalling life.

Unless someone can recommend a better fit, we're going with the canon sx50hs.

I'd like to hear from anyone who's spent time w/ this camera.

Thanx!
 
I recently picked up an Olympus E-PL1 with kit lens for a very good price. It's replacing my Nikon D70 that died on me. Before that I had a Fuji bridge type camera. I'm loving the quality of the pics that the Pen 1 takes.
 
Re: EVIL Cameras

Having been a photographer for the about the last 45 years or so, I tend to watch other photographers and their equipment. About a year ago, I was in Hong Kong/Taiwan for two weeks and noticed the number of people shooting the mirrorless cameras, compared to DSLRs was pretty high. I've been very interested in these cameras and became more so when I realized how much attention my big Nikon D300 rig was getting while doing "street photography". The experience made me think back to a long time ago when I was using a Canon 7s rangefinder. It was like a poor-man's Leica "M".

That's how I view the possibility of picking up a mirrorless camera to complement my DSLR kit. However, I am concerned a little with that sector as a whole though. From a business model standpoint, the inside information seems to indicate that there are issues, particularly with m4/3s companies. First, they are basically down to 2 companies doing anything, and both of them are bleeding cash. Olympus has had their well publicized issues, both in terms of PR as well as cash-flow. Now Panasonic, has had the head of it's camera division essentially "fall on his sword" and was replaced due to unprofitability.

And it appears more and more every day that Nikon's "One" system isn't doing well either. This leaves Sony/Samsung and now Canon with their new APC-C sensor'd compact holding up the sector.

I want this type of camera to do well since a healthy diversity and competition is good for everyone, but the industry is looking a little shaky right now.
 
Back
Top Bottom