• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Serious Compacts

Some great free eBooks on street photography. Thomas Leuthard shoots 95% of his work with a Lumix u4/3rds camera and 20mm pancake lens.

http://www.thomasleuthard.com/Book/

A sample
7358707234_cc3188455e_c.jpg

Thomas Leuthard is fortunate to have the uber-civilized Swiss as subjects rather than the people I live among, who would punch his lights out and smash his camera.
 
I just got a Second Hand Olympus Pen E-PL1... And, it seems to me to be a Really Good Camera for the Price that I Paid...(1 1/2 Franklins)...I took this Pic in a room that was Darker than it looks, no Lights, Flash or Post Play...If you look into the Nikon's Lens, you can see the Pen Camera that took the Shot...What is really neat is that this was a 7 Meg Pic that I saved at 25% JPEG, so it now 268KB....
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • 3 Cameras Forth.jpg
    3 Cameras Forth.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 67
I believe the camera that I just bought to learn on falls in this category. A Fuji XE-1. My better half is a professional photographer and she's teaching me what I forgot since the last time I had a "real" camera instead of a little point 'n shoot, which was almost 20 years ago. I really like this camera but I have only what I picked up while shopping to compare it to, all the DSLRs felt too bulky and overly complex for my needs but I really am not fully versed on what those needs are yet. I went with it over a DSLR because I want to walk around Chicago with it and have it be fairly portable, but with the versatility of different lenses. And in the week I've had it, it has proven to be something I don't mind carrying around.
 
I believe the camera that I just bought to learn on falls in this category. A Fuji XE-1.

A nice choice, it gets great reviews! Will be expecting lots more shots of your great-looking gear. :yes:

Part of the fun of the ILCs (IMO) is getting the cheapie adapters to use legacy glass on them. Manual focus only, of course, but plenty of 50mm f/1.4s out there cheap. You don't want to know how many $5 thrift store lenses I have. ;)

http://www.rainbowimaging.biz/shop/category.php?id_category=94
 
I believe the camera that I just bought to learn on falls in this category. A Fuji XE-1. My better half is a professional photographer and she's teaching me what I forgot since the last time I had a "real" camera instead of a little point 'n shoot, which was almost 20 years ago. I really like this camera but I have only what I picked up while shopping to compare it to, all the DSLRs felt too bulky and overly complex for my needs but I really am not fully versed on what those needs are yet. I went with it over a DSLR because I want to walk around Chicago with it and have it be fairly portable, but with the versatility of different lenses. And in the week I've had it, it has proven to be something I don't mind carrying around.

John,
Does the XE-1 or as called in Japan, Sexy 1, have a built in view finder?
 
I have a XE1. It has an electronic viewfinder. However, it is not a small camera,like a 4/3 camera. It is about the size of a Lecia m3. It also has a larger sensor than a 4/3. It takes great images.
 
My 3 ILCs

Here are 2 shots of my ILCs.
From left to right they are:
Samsung NX1000 with a 20-50mm and 50-200mm lens.
Pentax Q with a 8.5mm f1.9 prime lens, this camera is billed as the world's smallest interchangeable lens digital camera. Also have an adapter that I can use with lenses from my Pentax Auto 110 film camera.
Olympus E-PL1 with 14-42mm, Olympus 40-150mm and a Panasonic Lumix 45-200mm lens. Also have the EF-2 electronic viewfinder.

I just got the Samsung NX1000 and am really liking it. It has a 20mp backlit
APSc Cmos sensor and built in wi-fi allowing photos to be uploaded to my smart phone or PC wirelessly.
I am really liking the quality of the pictures it takes and how many things can be adjusted easily and quickly on this camera. Wish my DSLRs were like this.



 
A nice choice, it gets great reviews! Will be expecting lots more shots of your great-looking gear. :yes:

Part of the fun of the ILCs (IMO) is getting the cheapie adapters to use legacy glass on them. Manual focus only, of course, but plenty of 50mm f/1.4s out there cheap. You don't want to know how many $5 thrift store lenses I have. ;)

http://www.rainbowimaging.biz/shop/category.php?id_category=94

I have a stack of old Minolta lenses that my father gave me, that he picked up in the '90s at pawn shops when he was traveling for work. I think I have some Pentax lenses, not sure if there's anything decent. The last time I had a real camera was in college 20 years ago. A humble Pentax K-1000 that i still have but haven't used in 15 years.

I'm looking forward to figuring this thing out, and my girlfriend is a professional photographer who's been walking me through the settings on the camera. I was intimidated by my little point and shoot Canon S-90 but I actually understand the XE-1 better, as it reminds me of the old Pentax and the basic controls are similar, and in the same place I expect them to be.

I have no idea what I'm doing with it but I'm slowly remembering things from my intro to photography class in college. This was me trying to remember how to do long exposures. I've never had a camera like this with any auto features so I'm pretty happy that it can think for me, at least on some aspects of it.

Anyway...I'm having fun with it. Audio has become like a second job, so it'll be nice to be really casual about a hobby.



 
Back
Top Bottom