• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show us your DIY speaker projects!

They've been in my living room, at a 13 foot listening distance. The constant directivity design reduces problems with early reflections, so placement and treatments aren't so critical.
I don't have a projector/screen, so the center channel is a pair of horizontal Aggressive 1299 speakers above and below the TV. Reasonably well timbre-matched.
They don't actually go very low, about 45 Hz, but they weren't designed to. I have the eight 18" sub drivers posted earlier in this thread to take care of the bottom two octaves and below.

Interesting. Why the need for so much SPL in such a small area?
 
Interesting. Why the need for so much SPL in such a small area?

I don't need SPL, I rarely play louder than what most here consider "average". But the high sensitivity means the system doesn't have to work hard. So theoretically less distortion, effectively limitless dynamics. An awful lot of wasted headroom most of the time, but it's there if I need it.
I'm certainly not implying that my approaches are the most practical
But hopefully by posting the construction pics here, they might inspire somebody else to find a better way!
 
I don't need SPL, I rarely play louder than what most here consider "average". But the high sensitivity means the system doesn't have to work hard. So theoretically less distortion, effectively limitless dynamics. An awful lot of wasted headroom most of the time, but it's there if I need it.
I'm certainly not implying that my approaches are the most practical
But hopefully by posting the construction pics here, they might inspire somebody else to find a better way!

Cool. Was just wondering why. Thanks.
 
I don't need SPL, I rarely play louder than what most here consider "average". But the high sensitivity means the system doesn't have to work hard. So theoretically less distortion...

Less distortion from the speakers, but potentially more noise from the amplifier and upstream electronics.
 
Nice! As they say, there's no replacement for displacement. While I don't find this to be entirely true, it sure doesn't hurt. Good luck with the project.
I've had 4 very similar speakers for 40 years.
I thought some new ones would be a good idea.
I really enjoy the speaker projects. it gives
me something to do in this frigid weather.
the woofs aren't here yet so this isn't going to be a fast project.
 
Are you using plans?

Naw, he's doing it authentic 70's style: cut, try, and then market whatever the result is as "voiced".

XO just two caps: one to the mid, one to the tweet.

Of course, to be really authentic, @70's Rockfan needs to add to the front L-pads, and a tiny little graph showing a textbook-pefect frequency response. Then cover with a wood latticework grille and brown tweed. On the back, just a fiberboard screw terminal - or better yet, an RCA jack.
 
I call these A Bombs. They each have 3 legs. Underneath, there is an L pad (from Infinity SM122) and an unwired 6" woofer now acting as downfiring passive radiator. (Think Design Acoustics).
I added the 8" woofer to the side with 1 1/2" port because I wasn't getting enough bass. I generally use them as my 5.1 cinema front speakers (at ear height on a credenza) but they can project music nicely. Btw... the side woofers are on opposite sides from each other.
 

Attachments

  • 20200103_150126 (1).jpg
    20200103_150126 (1).jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I have had a few speakers with 15" woofers, and like larger cones for woofers, but the best I ever had were a pair of CV eviction notice party speakers with 15" drivers.
Most I've heard either have horns or were Kabuki's. :(
 
Naw, he's doing it authentic 70's style: cut, try, and then market whatever the result is as "voiced".

XO just two caps: one to the mid, one to the tweet.

Of course, to be really authentic, @70's Rockfan needs to add to the front L-pads, and a tiny little graph showing a textbook-pefect frequency response. Then cover with a wood latticework grille and brown tweed. On the back, just a fiberboard screw terminal - or better yet, an RCA jack.

a silly answer to a serious question
 
Nice big spacing on the inductors! That's some attention to detail, with color-coordinated *heat shrink*!

You haven't put the backs on the cabinets yet?
no not yet. I ran out of MDF.
I'll get some tomorrow. I have to make
the mid enclosures and its easier to install
them with the back off. I haven't decided if
I'm going to make the backs removable yet.
I usually do until I'm done tuning them.
 
Back
Top Bottom