• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

Hi Glenn

Here is my latest Sony. Is the TC-2850SD dolby cassette player. Wife said she wanted a cassette player to record her students (HS French teacher). So, just viewed this as an opportunity. :yes: Oh, yeah. Was $15.


Nice buy Glenn.
Here is a picture of your TC-2850SD alias TC152SD with french comments. I found this in a french SONY brochure from 1976. I suppose your wife can read it for you :thmbsp:.
TC152SD.jpg
 
TA-N80ES with full caps

This one has all 8 caps in the bank.
 

Attachments

  • n80es.jpg
    n80es.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 70
  • n80es2.jpg
    n80es2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 46
Glenn, Nice find on that E77ES. I've seen lots of the ESD ones, but very few non-digital ones. Not surprisingly, the insides look similar to my E80ES preamp. The main board is oriented a differently, but the phono board looks similar, as well as the power supply section. Twin transformers, 2x10,000uf Great Supply caps. I wish Sony had stuck with the toroidal transformer in the E80ES though.

I'm curious, what is the fix is for the high volume buzz that you mentioned? Restorer John? Feel free to chime in. I ask because my E80ES occasionally does that, but its not consistent. Might be a similar problem and worth checking into.
 
billbillw,

you should also consider a high frequency oscillation as a source of the buzz noises, which can build up, when local electrolytic bypass capacitors start to age and their ESR increases. High frequency oscillations can be often noticed as a 100/120Hz buzz noise, sometimes also as a limited soundstage or audible increase of distortion.

The non digital version of the TA-E77ESD is IMO the more serious product.

Glenn, how does it look on the front side, any differences to the ESD ?
 
billbillw,

you should also consider a high frequency oscillation as a source of the buzz noises, which can build up, when local electrolytic bypass capacitors start to age and their ESR increases. High frequency oscillations can be are often noticed as a 100/120Hz buzz noise, sometimes also as a limited soundstage or audible increase of distortion.

If I understand you correctly, you are referring to signal bypass caps, not power section filter/bypass caps. If so, I'll probably change them out next time I have the case open. Looks like there are at least 2 per channel that could be aged(ing). There is one in each channel of the gain section and one on each channel's unbalanced output leg.

Thing is, this preamp doesn't get very hot (not even warm really), and its only 13-15 years old, so in general, the caps all seem pretty good. I guess if they used some cheapish caps, they could have aged enough though. Heck, for 30-50 cents each, its probably worth it to change out most of the electrolytics. There are only a handful of high dollar ones (the main PS filter caps, and the gain section power filter caps), so the job wouldn't cost much.
 
Only the bypass capacitors of the supply rails (close to operational amplifiers e.g.) would be questionable.

13-15 years is really no big deal with good capacitors, but it could be that especially these colourful audio caps have a very limited life. Most spec sheets of those capacitors give them a life of 1000...2000h at 85°C.

My TA-E88B preamplifiers have the same Buzz issue. The amp starts to heavily oscillate (with a hum noise present) with volume knob (nearly) all up. More detailed investigation revealed a minute oscillation already present with lower volume settings. After removing that oscillation, by altering the RC-Filters in front of the two flat amplifier differential stages, the problem disappeared and the sound improved a lot.

Btw: This could also be valid for you other TA-E88 owners (!!)
It could be, that your TA-E88 doesn't reach it´s full potential.
 
Only the bypass capacitors of the supply rails (close to operational amplifiers e.g.) would be questionable.

13-15 years is really no big deal with good capacitors, but it could be that especially these colourful audio caps have a very limited life. Most spec sheets of those capacitors give them a life of 1000...2000h at 85°C.

My TA-E88B preamplifiers have the same Buzz issue. The amp starts to heavily oscillate (with a hum noise present) with volume knob (nearly) all up. More detailed investigation revealed a minute oscillation already present with lower volume settings. After removing that oscillation, by altering the RC-Filters in front of the two flat amplifier differential stages, the problem disappeared and the sound improved a lot.

Btw: This could also be valid for you other TA-E88 owners (!!)
It could be, that your TA-E88 doesn't reach it´s full potential.

How would I go about checking that Mirko ? Do you need a scope for that ? Mine still needs volume and balance pots cleaned, and maybe also the switches.

But Y.E might be coming to work in Belgium (very close to where I live), so maybe he could help me out if he wants :) He will be bringing his TA-E900 along! :banana:
 
Patrick,

I was able to transfer the money today, so I probably receive the TA-E901 next week.

Kristof,

in order to check that you would need a scope.
Y.E. already told me that he brings his (two) TA-E900's along to Belgium and he noticed that you already made eyes on one of his TA-E900´s ... :D
 
Hehe, would be nice if he would let me have one of his Esprit pre's (not for free obviously)... I would not refuse :D
 
The non digital version of the TA-E77ESD is IMO the more serious product.
Glenn, how does it look on the front side, any differences to the ESD ?

It just does away with the frequency display on the front, replacing it with a little "AV" lettering.
On the back, the S-Video and digital plugs are gone.
 
Here is the front of the TA-N77ES. You can compare to Axel's pic's on the TVK. http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyes/TAE77ESD/TAE77ESD.html

To answer billbillw's earlier question, I am waiting for the info from Restorer-John. If that doesn't work, then will do a recap. That will be a nice upgrade as well. Also, someone posted earlier, with pic's, of a recap he did of the only set of coupling caps that are in the TA-E80ES, I believe it was.

If anyone is thinking of ordering any of those TA-N88 VFETs on that auction site, I just received my order via Air Mail. Took about a week.

DSCN02030001.jpg
 
Y.E. already told me that he brings his (two) TA-E900's along to Belgium and he noticed that you already made eyes on one of his TA-E900´s ... :D

no no ... things are getting mixed up :scratch2:

I will only take one with me, but indeed someone local is thinking about offering me enough for the restaured one ... enough so that I can get another backup unit at some time and that I am seriously thinking about doing all the work a second time.

But let's wait and see what happens.
 
I have just looked at what was happening with tae88's. When volume is under horizontal(9oclock) level, humm is still noticable when I listen to drivers. Humm is hearable when I stand 1-1,5 meter far away from speakers when volume is fully up. But I didnot notice any buzz sound. Is this buzz as loud as humm or only noticable on a specific condition?

Phono humms really bad when volume is fully up. I didnot know that I have so much humm in my system, I always listen to music while volume knob is somewhere between 8 and 10 o'clock that I have never been irritated with cdplayer but was exsistent with phono a bit.
 
TA-N77ES Nudies

A couple of shots of the TA-N77ES all undressed for a bit of cleaning, adjustment (offset was 17mv and 9mv - hardly worth the effort) and light-bulb replacement. Bottom is nearly identical to the later TA-N80ES, which is pictured earlier in this thread. You can see just how big those lovely red meters are in the second picture. Take up about 75% of the face on this amp. TVK has a nice write-up on same. http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyes/TAN77ES/TAN77ES.html
 

Attachments

  • TA-N77ES Bottom.jpg
    TA-N77ES Bottom.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 50
  • TA-N77ES Front.jpg
    TA-N77ES Front.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 82
no no ... things are getting mixed up :scratch2:

I will only take one with me, but indeed someone local is thinking about offering me enough for the restaured one ... enough so that I can get another backup unit at some time and that I am seriously thinking about doing all the work a second time.

But let's wait and see what happens.

Ooooops, did I get it wrong ??? :D

Mesut: I experienced a hum or buzz with my TA-E88B with (connected) line sources and the volume above 3 o´clock. That was the point, where the oscillation magnitude increased over-proportionally.

If you hear a hum with (open) phono inputs it´s more likely the high gain at that position, which makes external ground loops etc. audible.

The best way to check, if your unit has that an oscillation problem is to find someone with an oscilloscope and watch the outputs at different selector switch positions, with and without inputs shorted and, if available, with sine wave input.

My TA-E901 arrived today.

It looks much better than on any photo I ever saw. It´s really too nice to butch it for parts.
 
My TA-E901 arrived today.
It looks much better than on any photo I ever saw. It´s really too nice to butch it for parts.

Most Sony units are very difficult to photograph and always look much more impressive "for real". I've tried many times the TA-N7, CDP-101, TTS-8000, CDP-X777, DTC-2000, even the EL-7 with many different cameras (from the 4x5" to the 'Blad to digital stuff) and it always was more of a battle than anything else.
Needs a lot more time than usual, something photographers rarely have ;-)
 
Back
Top Bottom