• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

As far as I know, only the 901s suffered the FTZ mods.

(but there could be other differences in the 900s, of course - otherwise all this would much too dull :D)
 
I bought my E80ES new when Sony France was about to shelve the last remnants of the lineup in the summer of 1994. So that makes thirteen years non-stop with that champagne preamp.

The N80ES I got some years later, second hand, black version unfortunately but very cheap.

Axel, I bought my first E80 in 93 and second in 94 and loved them. I also had many other ES components from that era (90-94) and sold it all in 2000 and have regretted it ever since, so I recently started assembling a new "hobby" ES system. So far here are the results. The N80 was my latest addition and no, I don't keep the E80 on it, it get pretty warm!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mastercontrolmedia/

PS, I love the TVK site and drooling over all that vintage ES equipment! :tresbon:
 
I never tested these units in direct A/B listening, so probably my impression was wrong (different mood, different loudness etc. etc.)

Yves, what is your impression, do you find your refurbished US model sounds better than the AEP model ?

It could nevertheless be, that there is some minor random deviation between the units, which lies somewhere in the modules or in the condition of the switches etc. It would be nice to have a look on the original inspection cards, if they were available ... :tears:

It is most likely, that my TA-E900 was used as a demo unit for presentations and Hifi mag tests, so I would expect, that this unit was selected for best performance.

Btw: If it comes to some of my amplifiers, like my homebuilt Class A or the Yamaha B-2, I still prefer the little bit more "relaxed", less analytical sound of my modified Lab Zero Pre (TA-E88B). Together with the TA-N7B, the things seem to be different, there the TA-E900 shines.

Let´s see, how the TA-E901 performs, if I get it fixed after the repair massacre.

vincei:

These stacks look very impressive ! Nice !
 
I never tested these units in direct A/B listening, so probably my impression was wrong (different mood, different loudness etc. etc.)

Yves, what is your impression, do you find your refurbished US model sounds better than the AEP model ?

Well, I also never did an A/B-test. But perhaps I find enough time this weekend for doing one.
 
remember A/B testing is instant, with the ability to go from one to another backwards and forwards. With preamps it's easy enough. Power amps are a different story unless you are very fast and careful with the speaker switching or you use a comparator like I do.
 
My Sony collection has mushroomed!

2 big scores the last several nights...TA-2000, V-7, TC-K7 II, SSG-5's, and a TC-252D. Only have the pix of the V7 so far, but all will be forthcoming....

attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


Original thread...

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124039
 
The seller was one of those...

obsessive type guys...He bought this system in Saudi Arabia of all places. He's an oil rig worker of some sort. This gear's been to Angola, and all over. I guess he just took really good care of his stuff...Nice guy by the way...:yes:

Hey Axel, what do you know about SSG-5's? Have any specs available? Wait until you see the pix of those...Just like the V-7. Like opening a time capsule....:thmbsp: You still doing a Serial # registry for these TOTL monsters?
 
Rest of the pix....

Only pix of one speaker for now....
 

Attachments

  • CIMG2570.JPG
    CIMG2570.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 64
  • CIMG2571.JPG
    CIMG2571.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 33
  • CIMG2572.JPG
    CIMG2572.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 44
  • CIMG2574.JPG
    CIMG2574.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 67
  • CIMG2573.JPG
    CIMG2573.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 29
  • CIMG2575.JPG
    CIMG2575.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 33
  • CIMG2576.JPG
    CIMG2576.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 33
  • CIMG2577.JPG
    CIMG2577.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 41
  • CIMG2578.JPG
    CIMG2578.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 35
Wonderful gear analog addict ! Should make a great setup when teamed. I have enjoyed my SS-G4's immensely until I got my SS-G333ES, and plan on putting them to good use in a bedroom setup with some more VFET gear :)
 
All right. Got the 50,000 hour bulbs from AK member dgwojo and put them in the TA-N77ES. Set the dc offset and bias (all were within 0.003vdc of spec), did a bit of cleaning and put in the bulbs. This is still one of the finest looking and sounding amps around. A bit of Deoxit in the switches/pots and she'll be ready to go. My unskilled photo does not begin to do justice to those big-red meters.

TA-N77ESMeters.jpg

TA-N77ESLights.jpg
 
the pots are sealed alps blue, deoxit isn't easy unless you drill a tiny hole or dismantle them. Also, the switches only operate relays- if you have a noisy channel it'll be the fixed/normal relay or the bridged mono relay or a speaker relay. The speaker relays are the common noise or dropout issue- they just need a clean.
john
 
the pots are sealed alps blue, deoxit isn't easy unless you drill a tiny hole or dismantle them. Also, the switches only operate relays- if you have a noisy channel it'll be the fixed/normal relay or the bridged mono relay or a speaker relay. The speaker relays are the common noise or dropout issue- they just need a clean. john
Was nice to see that the blue Alps are not the sealed variety. There are small access ports for each level of each pot (on the RHS). Very nice. Much easier than the desoldering, removal and disassembly required for the TA-E86B Alps, which truly is sealed. Hit them each with a bit of ProGold Deoxit and then will put them back together. Might be different part for the NA units. Also, am wondering if the relays you speak of are those mounted on the speaker terminal PCB? There is no noise, but if are simple enough to pull apart and clean I might as well do it now while I got the amp fairly well opened up. Is a pretty easy unit to work on.
DSCN0242.jpg

DSCN0244.jpg
 
All right. Got the 50,000 hour bulbs from AK member dgwojo and put them in the TA-N77ES. Set the dc offset and bias (all were within 0.003vdc of spec), did a bit of cleaning and put in the bulbs. This is still one of the finest looking and sounding amps around. A bit of Deoxit in the switches/pots and she'll be ready to go. My unskilled photo does not begin to do justice to those big-red meters.

TA-N77ESMeters.jpg

TA-N77ESLights.jpg

Wow!! thats a piece i have never seen or knew existed.Wonder how it sounds ?
 
Back
Top Bottom