• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

Indeed. Some good 'first hand' info. Good shops keep their chemical concentrations uniform and their process tanks clean. Poor shops don't and give horrible results. As in black turns to purple over time when exposed to sunlight and air (with all its constituents). The effects are exacerbated when some heat is applied, as in a working preamp or a 4-500 degree nozzle in an etcher. We worked with our anodizer to get him piggy-backed onto our ISO-9000 certification. They did a good job for us and we shared in the good results (getting more business).


I agree on most of that, but I don't hold too much stock in the whole ISO-9000 thing. Our shop was ISO certified, but our quality control was crap. Most of the QC was fudged. Faked inspection logs, bogus CASS (Salt spray) reports, tanks that were way overdue for cleaning/replacement, etc. We were way understaffed. I was doing the job of 5+ people and of course, things were compromised at just about every step,... unless it was a new client or a prototype.

Oh, and we were considered a "good shop". ISO9001:2000 certified.
 
That explains why heatsinks often get that purplish tinge on the black anodising. So what do you think is the best thing to clean an anodised surface without opening up the pores too much, but at the same time not removing screen printing. I have always just used a very mild creme cleanser like jif watered down. That seems to get off all the filth but doesn't seem to attack the anodising. That being said, I have taken champagne gold and turned it silver without damaging the lettering...marantz gold turns silver with a decent clean...

Mild dish soap/water, then treat with liquid car wax. I've used Windex and/or diluted ammonia (BoPeep) without doing too much harm, but I'd only use that if you have thick tar/nicotine to get off.
 
Sony TA-E88B

Just sold on eBay UK for £396.00 seller says he has two and will put the remaining one on eBay in the next few days if anyone is interested.
 
Saw that one go up and up and up and up... damn that is quite a price for that pre. Never seen one go for that much... It did look pristine I must add.

Would like to get another one someday, but not for that much...:worried:
 
~2X of what they generally bring in NA. But, haven't seen one for a while, so the prices here may be headed up, as well. Same with the matching amp. Anyone got a spare TA-N88B?
 
Ta-e88b

What can you buy here in the UK new that will have the build quality and range of input/outputs for around £400 including being able to handle two TT's with head amps on both? NOTHING!!!:scratch2:
 
True enough, however I paid 200 euro less for mine, and it doesn't have a scratch on it either. Seems to follow the trend of vintage gear getting gradually more expensive...
 
i only got the tae-86 and it´s a very pleasing preamp but the tae-88 is the one to have imagine that buildquality with today prices
 
I would like to... but my wallet is not that supportive of my hifi needs :D

There is one that keeps popping up on Ebay (from a Japanese seller) for about $4900 or so, shipping is another 5 to 700 depending on location. Same seller is trying to sell a Sony CDP-R10 transport and DAC for a rather large sum of money. Nobody buys it because I guess most people think Sony never made anything good and that much money for a Sony must be a joke.

If I had the money, I'd get them for sure !
 
Yep, I am sure his price will be pretty up there as well.

He has a pair of Esprit TA-N900 mono's for sale, for $3000 so umm...
 
I once asked for his price, it was 10000$ :thumbsdn:
At Hifido they are listed for 1/4 of that (as items sold in the past ... sorry).
 
Yeah his prices are crazy and he seems to get offended too when you say it's too expensive for your budget. Weird dude.
 
Heres my small Sony collection

Hey guys thought id chime in a show my little sony collection.

Ive got a Sony STR-V4 along with a Sony PS-FL17 Linear turntable. Ive also got (but not really using cause i dont have a Sony power amp) a Sony TA-4300 pre amp with the original box.

Also I just picked up a Sony SRQ-4750 4-channel receiver. Anyone know anything about this receiver or maybe have a manual or schematics. Problem is one of the 4 channels wont give much sound. If i turn it up full blast I can hear it just barely but the other 3 channles work fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Phil
 

Attachments

  • IMG_SONY AMP NEW pic1.jpg
    IMG_SONY AMP NEW pic1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_SONY TURNTABLE pic2.jpg
    IMG_SONY TURNTABLE pic2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_SONY PREAMP pic1.jpg
    IMG_SONY PREAMP pic1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 61
well it does the job, i like the whole drawer thing to it. Maybe not as good as my beogram 4002 but it still can play my records and make me happy.
 
Back
Top Bottom