• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sort of DIY

merrylander

AK Member
From this pile to this record cabinet in 30 minutes. Tomorrow I take some records out of storage in my shop, It just was not quite widw enough for both RTRs on top.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 94
Register to hide this ad
very solid looking record cab. Did you make those speaker stands? My eye was drawn directly to the highly figured wood, maybe burly maple from our area? or an exotic if veneer, whatever, I like it.

So..... I guess what you are thinking is that you should get another cabinet for the other RtR? Sound like a symmetrical good idea to me. :)
 
Ikea had these on sale at $39.95. Yes I built the speaker stand but that 'exotic' veneer is just plain birch with a walnut stain.

A friend brought me a Teax X-1000R which is presently sitting on the main entertainment cabinet but even at 72" it has all it can do to hold the Teac, the Yamaha CR-3020 and PX-2. The two shelves hold a Yamaha K-1000 cassette and a CDC-755 CDP.

He also brought along two Pioneer RT-707s non working but between them I was able to get one good RT-707. Heads were worn a bit so I lapped them, good as new.
 
We just moved into a new place 3 months ago and I needed a record and gear cab so I got this same cab but with 5 holes up and 5 holes across. It only took me an hour to put it together and it is solid as a rock.
 
I like the solid looking top and sides.

I made the mistake of getting one of those cheapo ones from Walmart and the top started to sag with the weight of a couple of turntables.
 
The top, bottom and sides are just 1/16" shy of 2" thick locked together with about 4" long screws. My only complaint was the silly little "crank" they give you to drive the screws with. Fortunately I have two complete sets of long handled Allen wrenches, both fractional and metric.
 
We need IKEA in St. Louis! I see so many great pieces and get great ideas by perusing their offerings. The Lack table is inexpensive and I've seen people bolting rackmount gear under the top! It's perfect for using this way, and it's been said that the reason IKEA designed this feature into various lines is to facilitate music and computer rack stuff. How cool is that?
 
Back
Top Bottom