• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sound Dynamics Owners...Unite!!

I don't think they are original. 12S had plain cones (no ribs). But just from the proportions, I think those are 10S, which do have ribbed cones ... but with a different pattern. The gaskets aren't correct either.

If they aren't the original woofers ill probably pass on them but I'm noticing that many sets of 12S have been going from 400 to 700 lately so if I get a chance to hear them and the sound good who knows.
Thank you
 
Would anyone happen to have a schematic for the crossovers on the 1200 SMT speakers?

Also, what OHMs are those speakers?

Thanks,
Tim
 
has anyone hear come across any information, or owned a pair of cm 600s? ive found plenty on the 500s and 700s.....the 600s have no information on da web i can find at all! i posted in the general speaker section, then i found this thread!
 
What a great thread!

I got a set of R-616 towers about a year ago and instantly became a huge SD fan. I'm Canadian and have always been a fan of API but had never owned, or even heard, Sound Dynamics before.
I then set out to put together a timbre matched 7.1 setup and I JUST finished it last weekend!

Fronts: R-616
Center: THC-2
Sides: R-65
Rears: R-55
Sub: THS-1000

MY AVR is a Pioneer SC-LX701. It's a great sounding system. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for more SD's to collect.
 
Would anyone happen to have a schematic for the crossovers on the 1200 SMT speakers?

Also, what OHMs are those speakers?

Thanks,
Tim

Greetings,
I don't have a schematic, but did recently rebuild 2 crossovers including new L-Pads and binding posts.
I'll attach about 20 pics over 2 posts, perhaps you will see something or possibly be able to reverse engineer from pics (unfortunately I did not make a sketch when rebuilding).
Regarding the impedance, the spec sheet says 8 Ohm, but mine measure out at 3.6 Ohms

Pics Part 1
IMG_4732.jpg IMG_4733.jpg IMG_4734.jpg IMG_4735.jpg IMG_4737.jpg IMG_4738.jpg IMG_4740.jpg IMG_4741.jpg IMG_4742.jpg IMG_4743.jpg
 
Greetings,
I don't have a schematic, but did recently rebuild 2 crossovers including new L-Pads and binding posts.
I'll attach about 20 pics over 2 posts, perhaps you will see something or possibly be able to reverse engineer from pics (unfortunately I did not make a sketch when rebuilding).
Regarding the impedance, the spec sheet says 8 Ohm, but mine measure out at 3.6 Ohms

Pics Part 1
View attachment 2364738 View attachment 2364739 View attachment 2364740 View attachment 2364741 View attachment 2364742 View attachment 2364743 View attachment 2364744 View attachment 2364745 View attachment 2364746 View attachment 2364747


Woah, yours measure at 3.6? Any idea why that would be?
 
Would anyone happen to have a schematic for the crossovers on the 1200 SMT speakers?

Also, what OHMs are those speakers?

Thanks,
Tim

Here's a bit of information on your speakers from an old catalogue. They are indeed rated at 8ohms. I'd be interested to know what yours actually measure
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20211011-155730_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20211011-155730_Drive.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 37
Woah, yours measure at 3.6? Any idea why that would be?

Honestly, I have no idea. I am by no means a crossover guru, but I can replace like components (new for old etc) and the speakers function just fine. The speakers measured that both before and after the re-foam/recap as I was checking along the way. If I recall the raw drivers themselves were 3.4/3.2 Ohms for the woofers and 6.8/6.7 for the tweeters - I was checking them to ensure good before I spent time on them as speakers were a $20 Thrift Shop find. I also have a set of 10S that measure at 3.9 Ohm. My measurements are just made across the binding posts and with the woofers in their relaxed position (measurements change when the woofers are moved by hand). The readings do not change when the L-pads are adjusted (FWIW)

The 8 Ohm spec was read off the data sheet I posted in Post #131 - Typo?, no idea. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will chime in here. For me it's a case of "if it aint broke...."
I'd be interested to see what readings other owners see...

IMG_4731.jpg IMG_4766.jpg
 
Honestly, I have no idea. I am by no means a crossover guru, but I can replace like components (new for old etc) and the speakers function just fine. The speakers measured that both before and after the re-foam/recap as I was checking along the way. If I recall the raw drivers themselves were 3.4/3.2 Ohms for the woofers and 6.8/6.7 for the tweeters - I was checking them to ensure good before I spent time on them as speakers were a $20 Thrift Shop find. I also have a set of 10S that measure at 3.9 Ohm. My measurements are just made across the binding posts and with the woofers in their relaxed position (measurements change when the woofers are moved by hand). The readings do not change when the L-pads are adjusted (FWIW)

The 8 Ohm spec was read off the data sheet I posted in Post #131 - Typo?, no idea. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will chime in here. For me it's a case of "if it aint broke...."
I'd be interested to see what readings other owners see...

View attachment 2365007 View attachment 2365008


Interesting. I know diddly squat about crossovers, but a bit about resistance etc from being an appliance repair tech.
I actually think I read somewhere else that someone said the same thing, that they tested below 4ohms...perhaps it was you in a different thread, or a different forum altogether. I'm new to this forum so I'm still getting familiar with peoples names.

Pretty sure I recently saw a picture of the back of an SD speaker from the early 80's and it said it was rated at 4ohms, so perhaps in this case "8ohms" was in fact a typo.
 
Being that Sound Dynamics THR-BP1 drivers fire a complete 180° from eachother, and not at around 90° like most bipole speakers, would they be ok as side surrounds or nah?
 
Hello!

Does anyone have the capacitor values for the reference series from the 90's? I'm hoping to order caps and not openthe speakers up until the caps get here. They're all on wall brackes, and I'm lazy.

Speakers:

R55
R65
R616
THC-2
THS-1000

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
 
Just got myself a pair of 1200SMT's. Not that I need another pair, and they're not going to threaten any of the ones I have already. BUT. They look like a (relatively) easy project to get them looking & sounding great again.
Got them for €20, here in Belgium. That's $20 for you in the US.

I've refoamed many an old speaker, so they don't scare me. I always re-cap, so that's another thing. And I'd like to strip them down and et the cabinets looking new again.
New cloth, and they'll be ready to go!!

Collecting them in a few days.

SD1200smt.jpg
Never heard of them before, but reviews are positive. (But you know that already!)
 
Just got myself a pair of 1200SMT's. Not that I need another pair, and they're not going to threaten any of the ones I have already. BUT. They look like a (relatively) easy project to get them looking & sounding great again.
Got them for €20, here in Belgium. That's $20 for you in the US.

I've refoamed many an old speaker, so they don't scare me. I always re-cap, so that's another thing. And I'd like to strip them down and et the cabinets looking new again.
New cloth, and they'll be ready to go!!

Collecting them in a few days.

View attachment 2402713
Never heard of them before, but reviews are positive. (But you know that already!)

Hi ,
Where did you find these ?

regards
 
What a coincidence, I picked up a pair , near the French border looking exactly the same. near Kortrijk it was.
Good luck with yours!
 
Just got myself a pair of 1200SMT's. Not that I need another pair, and they're not going to threaten any of the ones I have already. BUT. They look like a (relatively) easy project to get them looking & sounding great again.
Got them for €20, here in Belgium. That's $20 for you in the US.

I've refoamed many an old speaker, so they don't scare me. I always re-cap, so that's another thing. And I'd like to strip them down and et the cabinets looking new again.
New cloth, and they'll be ready to go!!

Collecting them in a few days.

View attachment 2402713
Never heard of them before, but reviews are positive. (But you know that already!)
I haven't seen nor heard of that model before. Is that real veneer?
 
Hello!

Does anyone have the capacitor values for the reference series from the 90's? I'm hoping to order caps and not openthe speakers up until the caps get here. They're all on wall brackes, and I'm lazy.

Speakers:

R55
R65
R616
THC-2
THS-1000

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Crickets ..
 
I've posed this question before but it went unanswered.
When speaking only to SD's home theater friendly lines from the 90's & early 2000's, what's their best line? Would it be RTS? I haven't heard them but I've read that they're a bit more refined than their predecessor, the R series.
What about the Titanium and Signature Series'? I assume they're better quality speakers than either of the reference series', but I don't think I've ever seen a Titanium or Signature center channel. Are the S and Ti series' reserved for music because voice matched center channels aren't available?
 
Back
Top Bottom