• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speaker wire update-- Don't use extension cords!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After considerable looking into the "cable issue" there seems to be no scientific research that seems to dictate that cables make a significant difference in the transmission of sound...
Sure there is. :) What most ignore is the effect of the other cable metrics (L and C) on an amplifier driving a speaker's crossover. They behave differently under different loads.

Such has been demonstrated with distortion spectra. Click the following post for metrics and link to original source.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...e-on-speaker-wire.906002/page-3#post-13586871

As to whether or not you are able to hear the measured differences is highly dependent upon a number of factors.
 
Amazing. This thread is from 2008 and has not been locked or deleted. Has to be a record for a cable topic thread.
Well, the moderators are watching it. Been at least one warning about how cable discussions do get out of hand. :)
 
I haven't read through all the posts, but I do know from my years in the wire biz is that some mfgr's make their "zip cord"/lamp cord conductors with copper covered steel and/or use steel strands mixed in with the copper strands for additional strength. It's difficult to see with the "naked eye" considering some factories tin plate the conductors. Works "OK" for 110/120VAC 60hz circuits but can play havoc with audio frequency signals. How much it affects the sound subjectively is hard to say and would required some test equipment and an agreed upon test fixture to discern abnormalities. OPG.
 
Hi. Wow, it has been quite a while since I made this thread. To be perfectly honest, I was still learning at that point, and also had hardly any money to put toward the hobby.

So yes, it was a lot of tinkering and trial and error.

These days, I am largely indifferent when it comes to cabling; it simply has to get the job done from an objective stance. But that's merely my opinion. I firmly believe that DIY is still the best bang for your buck option if you know how to make your own cables. However, I've quit using bargain-basement materials such as extension cord, since they are often CCA (copper clad aluminum).

I wasn't aware of that when I first made this thread. Also, yes I am aware that CCA's resistance level could be fine if you "up" the guage size but again--I prefer to throw a little money at a higher quality solution, since I have carefully assembled my systems and have a bit more cash than I did in the old days.

That being said, I'm personally not one of those guys who will spend thousands on cabling. I truly believe that there is a point of diminishing returns, and it is lower than most people are led to think. Just my opinion.
 
Sure there is. :) What most ignore is the effect of the other cable metrics (L and C) on an amplifier driving a speaker's crossover. They behave differently under different loads.

Such has been demonstrated with distortion spectra. Click the following post for metrics and link to original source.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...e-on-speaker-wire.906002/page-3#post-13586871

As to whether or not you are able to hear the measured differences is highly dependent upon a number of factors.


Yes there are a fair number of previous tests, but as pointed out by the rest of my post, they are for the most part subjective and often company driven . Therein lies the bias. Plus, never rely on one source as an accepted mandate in any sort of testing. Being in research, testing this is the expected procedure to follow in determining validity.

Q
 
Yes there are a fair number of previous tests, but as pointed out by the rest of my post, they are for the most part subjective and often company driven.
They are observational and in this case *driven* by a company that makes loudspeakers, not speaker cables. They have no dog in the race.

If you read the entire article, you'll find that Gene Czerwinski was quite surprised at the measured results.
 
I think adults can disagree without being ugly. I have my opinion on the subject, but respect others’ views. Calling someone names because you disagree just shows that you have no legitimate point to make.

Words of gold, El Rubio. "Discussing" politics also trips that trap, too often.

Labeling another's choices falls into that category. (tubes/SS, TT's vs. DAC's, etc) Legitimate arguments should stand on their own merits.
 
I had something very strange happen yesterday while testing out the newest big craze device "MiniDSP2x4" (not gonna comment on it here) the idea was to get control over my bass speakers in a electrostat speaker system that I've been messing around with for some time. The 4 panels are old JansZen removed from a model 400 cabinet and paired with an old Jensen 8" woofer and a JBL 8" sub mounted in an old jensen 3030 cabinet. Tweeter removed and hole became the new front port after removing and covering the rear port. The speakers sound unnaturally fantastic running all drivers without any crossover? I've tried a few different drivers and all seemed to work good even the 2 original jensen 8s but wanted to remove the active sub and get levels up on the lower end. I have 3 main amps available 2x CS400 peavey and a samson 170 which is an 85watt per for those who care. Initial set up required a bunch of newly made cables and new runs of high quality black 14ga lamp cord. Tinned ends yada yada... So im struggling with this little box and making sure all the RCA's are going to the proper amp inputs and speaker inputs and I have 1 cable that was premade with crappy bananna jacks that will fall out super easy. So I grabbed this old 12ga "perfect symmetry windings" oxygen free special super wire made by Esoteric Audio with huge jacket covers and directional wiring showing arrows on the jacket as well as plus and minus. I bought a spool from a car stereo shop 20 years ago for a competition system I built and won a trophy, ripped it all out and sold the car hence the long run of wire. I connected it randomly without looking for markings, I used my fluke to determine correct pairing on the ends and put a small piece of shrink tube on each end. Turned on the system and saw that one of my cs400 amps had the clip light starting to light up at medium volumes and the other was fine and the other amp was good as well. Figuring it was some loose wires or maybe it was from the minidsp connections rechecked and still had it. Swapped amp inputs, swapped wires and found that it had something to do with that super awesome wire. Put a new run of lamp cord and all was fine. What the what? Tested the wire with my fluke and saw 0.02 ohms resistance on both leads with no short across the runs. Wire is still shiny and clean you can see through the jacket and it's perfect symmetry windings are gleaming and perfect! I can't say if I had the direction backwards but I can see that I have the positive marked with a black shrink tube! So I may have been incorrectly using that wire not only reversed polarity (I probably disrupted the entire flow of electrons now on top of it all) but I may have been forcing 200 watts backwards through that wire as well! Now tell me that they aren't doing something to wires? This is the truth, it just happened yesterday afternoon so its not like I'm going from old memories I have the cable in my hands as I type. Jacket is perfect with no cuts or stretching. It's heavy duty and unexplainably picky I guess.
I have always been a disbeliever, I'm trying to think back if I ever had any issues with any car installs when I used that wire. I never paid much attention to the direction after the first install and it has been reused in several installs and I'm sure there was some reason I ended up changing out wires at some time to fix a strange problem.
Still skeptical though, I have the wire ready for diagnosis but have no interest in finding the actual scientific results, I mean come on who wants to actually provide any real proof and ruin this debate forever!?! Im not going to be the one to carry that responsibility!
Goodness gracious! Paragraph breaks please? I want to read it all but it’s so painful without the breaks.

Audiofreak71
 
I haven't read through all the posts, but I do know from my years in the wire biz is that some mfgr's make their "zip cord"/lamp cord conductors with copper covered steel and/or use steel strands mixed in with the copper strands for additional strength. It's difficult to see with the "naked eye" considering some factories tin plate the conductors. Works "OK" for 110/120VAC 60hz circuits but can play havoc with audio frequency signals. How much it affects the sound subjectively is hard to say and would required some test equipment and an agreed upon test fixture to discern abnormalities. OPG.


CCA is work of the devil.

None of the zip cord I've used is made from the stuff, but most of my zip cord is +twenty years old.

I only buy cable that's 100% copper, clearly labeled. screw CCA.
 
I haven't read through all the posts, but I do know from my years in the wire biz is that some mfgr's make their "zip cord"/lamp cord conductors with copper covered steel and/or use steel strands mixed in with the copper strands for additional strength. It's difficult to see with the "naked eye" considering some factories tin plate the conductors. Works "OK" for 110/120VAC 60hz circuits but can play havoc with audio frequency signals. How much it affects the sound subjectively is hard to say and would required some test equipment and an agreed upon test fixture to discern abnormalities. OPG.

It's actually copper covered aluminum. And I doubt that they actually make any zip cord stock intended for 120VAC use from the stuff, but it is rampant in hardware store speaker wire. I prefer to use pure copper myself primarily because vintage spring terminals get real finicky about accepting 14AWG and won't accept 12AWG or larger at all.
 
I haven't followed the thread back in 2008. The OP made some points about cable resistance and lead corrosion. These are valid points for any type of raw cable.
I've been using lamp cord for a few years, and still do sometimes. Like for an amplifier that sits under the TV and drives two loudspeakers 3 ft away. It's not critical listening and being able the thread the cable through an opening is more of a priority.

Wire resistance is important, when the differences are important. I've played with the output impedance control of a power amplifier I have that employs one (Technies SE-9200) and it really makes a huge difference in sound when the output impedance is increased, especially at the maximum. That difference is more or less identical with the effect of changing the input impedance of an MC step up transformer (Ortofon T-30).

In both instances, at one extreme the sound becomes bass heavy and boomy. On the other extreme it becomes more detailed and bright. Nothing to do with interconnects here, just impedance matching.

In every connection between two components, be it pre-power amp, source - preamp, power amp-speakers or even cartridge - phono amp, proper impedance matching is critical. The rule of thumb says that the input impedance of the "consumer" device needs to be at least 10x the output impedance of the source.

Well, that's pretty easy to achieve with pre amps and power amp inputs where you can put proper electronic circuits to generate the desired input impedance, but with loudspeakers, it gets pretty tricky when you start with 8Ohms (or 4) and a guarantee that you will have wild deviations across the frequencies and often some pretty nasty dips down to half the nominal impedance or even less.

In order to satisfy the above mentioned rule of thumb (and I repeat, it states "at least") with a 4 Ohm loudspeaker that dips down to 2Ohms at some frequencies, the output impedance of the power amplifier needs to be 0,2Ohms or less. And output impedance is everything between the output transistors and the loudspeakers.

If we take the resistivity value for copper wire from tables, a 14AWG wire would have a resistance of ~ 2,5Ohms / 1000ft. For a typical situation where the wires are 15ft, that would give an overall resistance of 0,0375Ohms, pretty insignificant. Consider the added resistance of oxidized strands at both ends and you don't really care about the length of the wire but the oxidized inch at both ends. Or if the ends are tinned, like I usually do, you have the Pb/Sn resistivity working there, adding a lot more resistance than actual copper but, hopefully much less than copper oxide. Let's just say that the worst case would be 0,07 - 0,08Ohms.

And then we have the output of the amplifier to consider. In many power amplifiers, especially higher power amplifiers with multiple output transistors, there's a ballast emitter resistor to equalize currents flowing through them. Typical values for these resistors are 0,1 - 0,3Ohms. If we have, say, 2 output pairs, these two resistors in parallel would form an output resistance of 0,05-0,15Ohms. (Plus some more because of the inherent re of he output transistor emitters). And that does not take into account the crossover, where there's lots of impedance, but thankfully no resistance is expected to be added in series with the woofer where it makes most of the difference.

Now, after all that introduction, here comes the substance. Especially with higher power amplifiers and 4Ohm, even slight changes in cable resistance due to gauge, quality and corrosion can make an audible difference. That is enough to make people believe cable matters (and it does, up to a point).

Let me give you a simple analogy. Suppose your water supply comes to your house through a 2" pipe. Obviously, using 0,5" pipes to take that water in your house would reduce flow (current) and probably have some reduction effect in pressure (voltage). Using 2" pipes throughout your house would increase flow dramatically. That only makes one believe that further increasing the pipe gauge to 3" would make things even better, but it doesn't as the maximum flow is already determined by the distribution pipe (output impedance) of the water network. Not a 100% valid analogy but close enough to visualize what makes a difference and what isn't.
 
And then we have the output of the amplifier to consider.

Probably just a pedantic nit-pick in the overall context, but I can't help myself: Typically, the output impedance of an amplifier is not determined only by the impedance of the components in its output stage. Typically, it is also strongly affected (reduced) by the action of the amp's global feedback loop.

Sorry. Nothing to see here. On with the cable chat. Cheers,

chazix
 
Goodness gracious! Paragraph breaks please? I want to read it all but it’s so painful without the breaks.

Audiofreak71

I could swear I had a few paragraphs in there somewhere, I'm using an old tablet which quite a challenge in its self.

Ever since I got the latest Offer-Up update, it's been difficult to do anything with my tablet, it's really been an awful update which has created numerous problems and wasted so much of my time. The keyboard constantly closes and text moves off screen, when I wrote that was right after that first abomination of an update was installed and since they have make a few small corrections but still has been a real problem.

Not using it is not an option for me, since after 3+ years of buying and selling there, it has proven to be a very good platform to do what I like to do and I have been able to do quite well. Especially now that speakers are a buyers market that have been fully taking advantage of! My place is full right now with closets and attic doors looking like a cartoon when the doors opened there a solid wall of speakers floor to ceiling. That's also the case along 1 wall I my living room (2 rows deep) and most of my garage.

Funny thing is the speakers I use as my mains out of hundreds of sets from so many good models and most were bought by reading up here as I saw them pop up locally, are a seti pieced together and they are still in the experimental stages and no others even come close to their sound. What's more is they don't even use a crossover, efficiency is higher than Klipsch Heresy but mine have an amazingly realistic sound at any level and is not affected when you're off axis if moving through my place.

Working on bi-amping those speakers is what lead me to the wire issue. I removed that mini noise distorter and im back to 1x CS400 running from an old AZDEN GX50 equalizer (after days of struggling with minidsp, it took me 15 minutes to get a flat response from 50Hz to 15KHz using the 40 year AZDEN with it's built in sine wave generator and pink noise), leaving me with 2 extra power amps.

Of course, I'm using 30 year old 14ga 2 conductor black lamp cord with a bit of colored shrink tube on 1 lead to denote + made when using copper was not considered to be worth mentioning since that was what wire was made from?
 
I could swear I had a few paragraphs in there somewhere, I'm using an old tablet which quite a challenge in its self.

Ever since I got the latest Offer-Up update, it's been difficult to do anything with my tablet, it's really been an awful update which has created numerous problems and wasted so much of my time. The keyboard constantly closes and text moves off screen, when I wrote that was right after that first abomination of an update was installed and since they have make a few small corrections but still has been a real problem.

Not using it is not an option for me, since after 3+ years of buying and selling there, it has proven to be a very good platform to do what I like to do and I have been able to do quite well. Especially now that speakers are a buyers market that have been fully taking advantage of! My place is full right now with closets and attic doors looking like a cartoon when the doors opened there a solid wall of speakers floor to ceiling. That's also the case along 1 wall I my living room (2 rows deep) and most of my garage.

Funny thing is the speakers I use as my mains out of hundreds of sets from so many good models and most were bought by reading up here as I saw them pop up locally, are a seti pieced together and they are still in the experimental stages and no others even come close to their sound. What's more is they don't even use a crossover, efficiency is higher than Klipsch Heresy but mine have an amazingly realistic sound at any level and is not affected when you're off axis if moving through my place.

Working on bi-amping those speakers is what lead me to the wire issue. I removed that mini noise distorter and im back to 1x CS400 running from an old AZDEN GX50 equalizer (after days of struggling with minidsp, it took me 15 minutes to get a flat response from 50Hz to 15KHz using the 40 year AZDEN with it's built in sine wave generator and pink noise), leaving me with 2 extra power amps.

Of course, I'm using 30 year old 14ga 2 conductor black lamp cord with a bit of colored shrink tube on 1 lead to denote + made when using copper was not considered to be worth mentioning since that was what wire was made from?
No worries , it happens. Thanks for taking the time to space it though much appreciated :thumbsup:

Audiofreak71
 
I could swear I had a few paragraphs in there somewhere, I'm using an old tablet which quite a challenge in its self.

Ever since I got the latest Offer-Up update, it's been difficult to do anything with my tablet, it's really been an awful update which has created numerous problems and wasted so much of my time. The keyboard constantly closes and text moves off screen, when I wrote that was right after that first abomination of an update was installed and since they have make a few small corrections but still has been a real problem.

Not using it is not an option for me, since after 3+ years of buying and selling there, it has proven to be a very good platform to do what I like to do and I have been able to do quite well. Especially now that speakers are a buyers market that have been fully taking advantage of! My place is full right now with closets and attic doors looking like a cartoon when the doors opened there a solid wall of speakers floor to ceiling. That's also the case along 1 wall I my living room (2 rows deep) and most of my garage.

Funny thing is the speakers I use as my mains out of hundreds of sets from so many good models and most were bought by reading up here as I saw them pop up locally, are a seti pieced together and they are still in the experimental stages and no others even come close to their sound. What's more is they don't even use a crossover, efficiency is higher than Klipsch Heresy but mine have an amazingly realistic sound at any level and is not affected when you're off axis if moving through my place.

Working on bi-amping those speakers is what lead me to the wire issue. I removed that mini noise distorter and im back to 1x CS400 running from an old AZDEN GX50 equalizer (after days of struggling with minidsp, it took me 15 minutes to get a flat response from 50Hz to 15KHz using the 40 year AZDEN with it's built in sine wave generator and pink noise), leaving me with 2 extra power amps.

Of course, I'm using 30 year old 14ga 2 conductor black lamp cord with a bit of colored shrink tube on 1 lead to denote + made when using copper was not considered to be worth mentioning since that was what wire was made from?

Should we try to schedule an episode of Hoarders at your place ;)
:beerchug:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom