• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speaker wire update-- Don't use extension cords!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a spool of 6 conductor 20 ga coper wire it was $4 for 250 feet or so, each strand is covered with jacket no bare wires no shield, reminds me of phone wire. We'll see if this type of design does anything to sound after I run it through 100 feet and compare it to 100 feet of pure copper multi-strand 14ga lamp cord. Maybe keeping each wire from interacting with other strands will keep the flow more even.

Since electricity follows the least resistance it's going to try to jump from point to point, there will be certain paths that will prove to be the more traveled paths and wires that aren't physically moved around will eventually find paths that may be causing more resistance under high current situations and on a microscopic level there could possibly be tiny connections that overload and tarnish or burn as paths become fewer and fewer . The result could create some paths to not be used again since some links that get used and possible arcing on a tiny level removed the oaths after a while. Then when you pick it up to test it, you'll never know that the wire was actually choking the signal since you've created all new paths.

Now im talking about high current and wires that haven't been moved around much, of course once it's moved those oaths can be restored or even broken further depending on how much arcing has happened.

With solid wire one would think that the flow would be far more consistent with not possible arcing or changes in path. The more changes the further it's going albeit nano scopic in length it could be altering the signal slightly as it changes paths. Especially if this is happening a billion times a second and is reversing as well.

I wouldn't expect the same current to flow through a arcing connection as one that is a continuous wire or even for that matter, any connection vs a continuous wire (high current applications have proven this as an example car batteries, alternator and starters} better jumper cables will start a car faster even though some have the same ga wires, better connection points allow more current. This is only a thought since I have no way to test this theory especially when it involves tiny frequency changes and distortion in analog audio signals while traveling through wires under loads for periods of time without moving them.
 
Last edited:
No worries , it happens. Thanks for taking the time to space it though much appreciated :thumbsup:

Audiofreak71

I just posted another and saw now that merely indenting doesn't work! Without the space it just puts it in the line below without spaces, I knew I figured it into paragraphs. The previous post I made sure to space it too but even then it looked like the space was more like 2 or 3 spaces and almost removed them. Thus last 1 u left then and figured it out!
 
Cable Matters! Having enjoyed 12 years of postings on this "Topic for the Ages", please humor me with some feedback regarding my current project. Since recently purchased a 4K 65" TV I decided to look into my audio system for possibly upgrading. I became aware of the tired capacitor issue here and discovered Klipsch no longer has cross over available. I found and ordered aftermarket XO and that supplier also had internal leads offered. I have a partial reel of Belden 8760060 18ga.
My question is would this be sufficient from XO outputs to woofers and tweeter?
I am also aware of some opinion that aftermarket replacement could impact OEM intended experience. I am considering testing the capacitors and replacing with equiv. specs. doing A B comparison of course!
 
If you're tweaking your gear and YOU think it sounds better afterwards, then you've done something pretty cool.
Zip wires, monster cables, 000 gauge diamond-plated solid-gold transmission wire sprinkled with pure cocaine... Whatever it takes.
If it sounds better to you, that's all that matters. This is a subjective experience. Have fun with your stuff!
 
Cable improvements are pretty much always system dependent ..
The laws of physics support the reasons for one cable sounding different from another ..

Try it in your system with with your speakers and electronics ..
If it sounds better then it is better ..
Never stop occasionally trying a different cable ..
It can only be better, worse, or never mind ..
 
I recall when I changed my speaker cable to lamp flex. It made an immediate improvement - detail, dynamics, imaging. It proved that cables do make a difference. I never used bell wire again for speaker cable! Having said that, I've upgraded speaker cable several times since then to specialist products with similar dramatic improvements.

Now here is a hint for you if you want to use extension cords for speaker cable that will really make your speakers "pop". 1. Connect the cord to the speakers. 2. Plug the other end of the extension cord to the mains power socket. 3. Turn on the power. 4. Listen to the clarity when the speakers go "pop".
 
I use several hundred feet of 12ga landscape lighting cable in my system. I've got a lot of speakers and amps to connect, it has performance that's pretty much at the point of diminishing returns, and it's cheap.

Now here is a hint for you if you want to use extension cords for speaker cable that will really make your speakers "pop". 1. Connect the cord to the speakers. 2. Plug the other end of the extension cord to the mains power socket. 3. Turn on the power. 4. Listen to the clarity when the speakers go "pop".

There are speakers that can handle being connected directly to a 110V wall outlet without damage - I've done it. Your ears will break before the speaker does.
 
Just an off the wall question. If I connect L speaker with Cable A and R speaker with Cable B, should I hear a difference when played in Mono? This assumes that the wire gauges are the same or nearly so.
 
Just an off the wall question. If I connect L speaker with Cable A and R speaker with Cable B, should I hear a difference when played in Mono? This assumes that the wire gauges are the same or nearly so.

How closely matched is the hearing in your ears- had them measured lately? Most people have significant differences between sides.
Where are you testing the speakers? In a room that is perfectly symmetrical, including windows, doors, furnishings and decorations? Speakers and your head located and angled symmetrically in that room, down to the half inch?
Assuming even frequency response through your system chain, but have you verified the levels are matched by the time the signal gets to the speakers?
Are the speakers themselves audibly indistinguishable? Production tolerances and age...
If there are differences, will they be in a high enough frequency range to detect them in mono listening?
 
The feedback around a modern transistorize amplifier reduces the output impedance to less than that supplied by emitter degeneration resistors.
 
Just an off the wall question. If I connect L speaker with Cable A and R speaker with Cable B, should I hear a difference when played in Mono? This assumes that the wire gauges are the same or nearly so.

Or in stereo ..
Should may be the wrong word ...

You might .. depends on the differences between the wires, the system, and the ears that are listening ....
 
So no one thinks that maybe... just maybe.... they designed speaker wire a little different than lamp cord?
Yes, it's braided very differently. It's called a rope braid. Ya don't nave to spend $500 on speaker cables, but proper wire helps. Preferably in the 10 to 12 awg range.
 
If competently made cables sound different, then that assertion needs to be validated by an ABX style test.

I think I covered the "why this won't happen" in an earlier post in the thread. It's just a symptom of the time we live in. These things cannot/will not be proven and must remain as such or what would we have to argue about? Ditto for changing out good stock oem caps for high $ pieces.
 
I’m not trying to call you out or anuthing, but can you elaborate on this?


I know this sounds obvious, but just buying brand X wire won't necessarily solve your problems.

Wire performance is dependent on so many variables, that pinning down the numbers takes honest testing and expensive machinery. You might not even hear the differences.

Length, gauge, the number of strands per conductor, insulation quality, plated or tinned, oxidized, alloyed, has the wire ever been pinched/kinked/twisted, is it coiled up, bent, running through the field of an electrical power source, and on and on.

Do both left and right speakers have to use the exact same wire length? Within a reasonable difference, you might not even notice. Experiment with your own system.
3 ft on one side and 30 ft on the other is probably not going to sound balanced though.

Connections are often the weakest link in the system. Make sure that your connectors are well made and either soldered or crimped, preferably both. Good RCA connectors are usually both.

Gold connectors look nice, but how are they connected to the copper wire? I've seen some that looked great but were poorly made. Open yours up and have a look.

Bare wires in the spring clips of a speaker may work, but are not the best. Small wire contact area and worn out spring clips are two reasons I don't like them.
Threaded terminals work good and last a long time. Solder your wire ends just enough to tin them, but don't over-do it.

All connections will degrade over time to some degree. Try to check them at least once a year. When your copper wire turns green, think about replacing it.

I like soldered, split banana connectors on copper wires. They're reliable, cheap, easy to make, easy to test, easy to modify and easy to swap around.
I also like to start with new wire, right off the spool. Standard copper lamp cord has always worked fine for me, just keep the length as short as possible.
If there's 6 feet of wire balled up behind your speaker or amp, you're not doing your system any favors. Lay wires flat and relaxed, without sharp bends.

You might be able to notice some improvement using heavier gauge wires, or you might not. At the frequency range of human ears on real humans, it pretty much becomes a subjective exercise. Everybody's ears are different.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom