• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speakers you will NEVER sell.

Difficult to SAY I guess. If we discuss what we REGRET we SOLD, it would be my Audio Note AN/J speakers.. They were "out of this world-ly" open, musical and felt like (at the time.. first half of the nineties)) the ultimate speaker...No matter what improvements in amps and sources I threw at them, they just responded by improving without complaining ... who knows where their limits were/are... I suspect they could go all the way..)

Right NOW the answer is simple, since I`ve finally landed the speakers I REALLY dreamt about when I went to school (and bought the AN/j`s) .. The TDL Monitors were at least three or four times as expensive as the Audio Note AN/J`s and since I REALLY could not afford the AN/J`s back then..... well u know...

Good luck gave me this opportunity (even though I knew the oval speaker was difficult to find)
DSC00213.jpg

NOS TDL 6 ohm woofers came to me, thanx to a great soul on hifisentralen.no who knew the old norwegian distributor ....

IMG_8901.jpg

=

IMG_8904.jpg


(=)

System_June_08_2.jpg


So NOW, when I have "MY" dream speaker, I`m not sellin' it!!!! I`ll try to build my system around them :) 18Hz -> 35Khz without a sub fits me like a glove, and those who pay lotsa money for speakers that cuts freqency around 40-60 Hz and celebrates, COULD not be hearing the same kinda music as I`m hearing ;)

What you see here in the pictures is my first attempt! (sounds GREAT as of NOW) :) right now I`m wondering if I`m looking for more even more vintage power OR more newer (post vintage) power... (advice accepted) ;)



Vbr; Perez
 
sell?

Like, run an ad for strangers to give me $ to get rid of speaker?

None, ever since I am no longer in the business, thank god, but I do give away to family/friends.

This is maybe an odd outlook, keeps me from churning my inexpensive assortment.

(Also, none are worth much so why bother hassling a sale)

In principle I might in future post a speaker here, this is nice community.
 
i will keep my carver als speakers forever...or until i can't repair or replace the special woofers anymore.

mine were updated to MKIVs about 13 yrs ago and bi-amped. i'v also modded them with damping on the woofer frames, rewiring with good cable and more or less permanetly removed the rear shroud (makes a huge difference in upper bass clarity). i might look into a different grill cover arrangement that is removable for extended listening sessions.

i run them with a good quality 1/3 octave eq (essential imho) and they sound better than anything under 12 grand i've heard in the high-end shops. soundstage is huge with lot's of depth and i have also got home-made wall treatments behind them as i have to play them too close to the wall, but it works out great anyway. bass is great with lot's of slam, tight like an acoustic suspension but without cabinet resonance problems and extension to just below 20 hz with judicious use of eq. sonic holography helps get the most out of poor recordings.

the ribbons don't last forever in a normal situation but bi-amping and moving the xover up to 200hz takes the strain off of them and i baby them anyway so...
 
What is perhaps the grandaddy of self powered speakers, the Meridian M20's. I'm glad I hung on to them. They marry the room I have now madly. Got an ARC pre in front of them.
 
I have a pair of KLH 6's. They were a defining moment in speaker development and still operate well. I will hold onto them. Unfortunately they have to reside in my basement because there is "no room in the inn" upstairs and I can only use small speakers in the upstairs listening areas.

Update: I gave my pair of AR4x speakers to my granddaughter just recently. I had purchased them in the late 60's and kept them in great shape, but I decided to pass them on to her. That's keeping them in the family, though!
 
Last edited:
I'll probably always keep one of my Imperial 7 sets (stop laughing! I like 'em!).

And I doubt I'd ever lose my KG 1.5 pair.

But everything else is... negotiable...
 
I'll probably always keep one of my Imperial 7 sets (stop laughing! I like 'em!).

And I doubt I'd ever lose my KG 1.5 pair.

But everything else is... negotiable...

Don't feel bad a few ppl have made fun of me because I like my Cerwin Vega D-3's so much
 
When finished, I don't think I'll ever part with my JVC zero9's- if only because once their in the basement, I don't think I'll ever be able to get them out.
 
Of all of the speaker I have had, my B&W 808's have been with me the longest, and I don't plan on letting them go Planning on a recap soon as they are approaching 28 years old.
 
Don't feel bad a few ppl have made fun of me because I like my Cerwin Vega D-3's so much

I put my D-2s on CL now and then, always at a price I know I'll never get...

I prefer them over the D-3s, but I've developed a fetish for simplistic 2 way designs.

You can't judge vintage CWs against "audiophile" speakers. They were never designed or marketed as anything but a serious rock and roll speaker and in that regard they excel.

They were the dance club speaker of choice for quite a few years, especially after disco died a long overdue death.
 
After repositioning these speakers and hearing the results leads to my to a 2nd post on this thread. I don't think I could sell my Polk SDA-1's. Sonic pyrotechnics still have me reeling. Shock and awe as I listen to Lori Anderson's Mr Heartbreak...
 
Hehehehehhe! You all know me:) My Original pair of Kenwood LS-408B's I will NEVER sell. Beat up as they may be, they still sound beautiful to my ears, playing all types of music, and I will ALWAYS love them for their ability to take all the power from a SX 1980 and keep on grinning long after "other" ones I've had that got a visit from the speaker reaper, heheheh! Other pairs of LS-408B's I've found I may part with, but NEVER my originals:) I've been very lucky the last 9 months with 4 other pairs of LS-408B's showing up for sale online! I don't think I'll ever be that lucky again!

Charlie:nutz:
 
Won't sell 'em, no matter what...

The speakers I love as much as life itself are my first 'hi-fi' purchase, my beloved Pioneer HPM 1100's, which unfortunately have RadShack woofers in 'em, as the old ones were literally destroyed in shipping during my last military movement. (Would LOVE to be able to get new ones, but $$$ doesn't grow on trees!) Bought 'em new in 1979, and won't sell 'em for anything...there's nothing they can't handle, even if they DO sound like boxes! (They're ROCKIN' boxes...!)

The speakers I love most, however, are my Carver Amazing Silver MK lV's. Their detail and resolution just blow me away and bring tears to my eyes, especially with my new/old McIntosh 2205 amp driving them...it's an auralgasm of the highest order and an experience that will never get old! Every time I play something for the first time in this particular setup, it's an entirely new experience, regardless of how many times I've heard it before. W o W. :music::yes::thmbsp:
 
My Speakerlab 7's. Unless I could trade up for some Super 7's or the K-Horns. Either Speakerlabs or original Klipsch. The 7's are rated at 4 ohms and are very efficient. My friend had his Super 7's cranked up one summer night out on his balcony and got a call from his apartment house security. He asked "was it the guy upostairs complaining again?" The guard replied, "No this time it's the people across the lake."

He never sold his after that. But we are from Seattle, so Speakerlab's are icons to us.
 
JBL S2600

Unless I win the Lottery. Or, sell my house & have a large "man cave"


Well, I bought a pair of JBL 1400 Array's so the S/2600 may be selling the the right person....
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom