• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Splattered, Translucent, Colored and otherwise Non-Black Vinyl

On the drying rack today :D

4SBBJmz.jpeg
 
Thanks man - I wonder what the ratio of new releases on colored vinyl vs. regular black is these days. I feel like maybe half or more of everything my kids are buying, is splattered, colored etc. vinyl.

It was a bit of novelty when I was a young’un.
Seems like newer issues and reissues are released in color and black.
The colored stuff is cool, but often more expensive.
If it's not a special album or cool color, I just get the black.
 
Last edited:
Thanks man - I wonder what the ratio of new releases on colored vinyl vs. regular black is these days. I feel like maybe half or more of everything my kids are buying, is splattered, colored etc. vinyl.

It was a bit of novelty when I was a young’un.

Wet Leg - Moisturizer, 2025, clear.
This album comes in several version of colors and covers.
Including a limited version that is clear and sandwiched with liquid actual moisturizer.
I was tempted.

Wet Leg - Moisturizer LP vinyl.jpeg
 
View attachment 3737031
Not sure but I feel like this must be an early example of non black vinyl. 1959.

Also a flat out great album!

I’m going to look for this one.

My grandfather was a massive collector of jazz records and worked in radio in the Bay Area when the Fantasy label was created in 1949.

They were possibly the first label to incorporate non black vinyl. They literally had red for mono and later, blue for stereo. I’ve never seen a blue Fantasy LP in person.

They (Fantasy) went on to press stereo LPs in red but with a blue label. Those are fairly common.

After CCR signed to Fantasy, no more effing around, black vinyl reigned supreme.
 
I’m going to look for this one.

My grandfather was a massive collector of jazz records and worked in radio in the Bay Area when the Fantasy label was created in 1949.

They were possibly the first label to incorporate non black vinyl. They literally had red for mono and later, blue for stereo. I’ve never seen a blue Fantasy LP in person.

They (Fantasy) went on to press stereo LPs in red but with a blue label. Those are fairly common.

After CCR signed to Fantasy, no more effing around, black vinyl reigned supreme.

I inherited this record along with a 1959 magnavox tube amp and cabinet. Considering this pressing is also 1959 I suspect my great uncle bought it as a showcase for his new toy. I just played it thru the same amp and cabinet + matching stereo cabinet via a more modern turntable - Great sound especially for an early stereo recording!!
 
Wow, I've had much fun reading thru this thread. I've seen all sorts of vinyl that I had no idea existed (but I'm not big into vinyl).
Thanks to y'all for sharing.
The only thing I've got to share is this Grand Funk Railroad gold album. I had one of these when I was young but it was stolen along with many other albums. So this particular gold one is a barn find from a few years ago.
PXL_20250525_002421321.jpgPXL_20250601_130253888.jpg
 
I started this thread awhile back, specifically ruling out picture discs. Why? I think they belong in their own category.

People post picture discs here anyway from time to time and that’s understandable.

I’d like to point out that there is no official picture disc thread on AK.

An opportunity to start one.
 
Back
Top Bottom