• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sylvania/Collara turntable

Dan Mercado

New Member
I am hoping someone can help me ID this piece.
It has FF-485-10-87021-2 on the underside, and a 'Made by Sylvania by Collara' tag on the turntable.
Please see the pics.
Thank you in advance!
 

Attachments

  • turntable#.jpg
    turntable#.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 37
  • turntable.jpg
    turntable.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 36
  • turntable4.jpg
    turntable4.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 37
  • turntable6.jpg
    turntable6.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 37
Register to hide this ad
Part#, maybe even year it was built.
I've seen turntables like this sold 'as' is and some that have been refurbished. Trying to decide which route to go.
Thank you
 
Part#, maybe even year it was built.
I've seen turntables like this sold 'as' is and some that have been refurbished. Trying to decide which route to go.
Thank you

1950s collaro turntables require extensive work to make them function properly, and also are hard on records. I would not entertain buying this unless you are a hobbyist and collector. If you're just planning on playing records, this is the turntable equivalent to buying a 1949 Chrysler someone found in a barn, and expecting to reliably drive it to work.

I suggest to get something newer, simpler, and more suited to your needs.
 
1950s collaro turntables require extensive work to make them function properly, and also are hard on records. I would not entertain buying this unless you are a hobbyist and collector. If you're just planning on playing records, this is the turntable equivalent to buying a 1949 Chrysler someone found in a barn, and expecting to reliably drive it to work.

I suggest to get something newer, simpler, and more suited to your needs.

Agreed. The Collaro used by Magnavox deemed 'MicroMatic' was a better version with lighter tracking and the cool record size sensing where the tonearm would move over to the stack to check the record diameter. I thought those were cool. They had pretty decent Electro-Voice cartridges that did not tear up your records.
 
yeah the later Collaro changers are the better mousetrap. I kinda dig the look of the Imperial Micromatic from the early-mid 60s. Fair chance it will drop into the same cutout too.

also plan on an electronics restoration if you want this to be a runner. Likely not much of an amp in there so I'd expect it to be simple. Looks to be mono as well if thats an issue for you. Mono cartridges don't play well with stereo records, but you can fit a stereo cart and just wire it up for mono use.
 
Back
Top Bottom