• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics 1200 which Mk?

If you shop carefully on the user market, you can even get a SL-1100 for a reasonable price, which is a better built turntable and accepts interchangeable tonearms.

The SL1100 has the same arm as the Mk1 version of the SL1200. The armless version is the SL110.

Unfortunately it's not as good as the SL1200 - the motor is an older, less torquey design with no quartz lock and the plinth is very resonant and rather flimsy. I have one, with an SME3009 and looks the part but sonically it's a little off the pace.
 
Hi,

I am after a 1200 as a hifi deck, which is the best version to get?

Every mk 2 I have seen looks like it's had a hard life.

Cheers.

Even after a hard life, a MKII should work fine. There are parts available to fix near anything that might be wrong with it. Mint examples can be pricey, but a used one with a few battle scars should go for alot less.
My deck is a DJ rescue and the finish has seen better days, but she spins like a champ. One day I'll get around to painting it. I got one of those aftermarket slip-on covers for cheap and that'll do for for now. I'll even paint it satin black just to spruce things up a bit :thmbsp:
 
I have a technics by panasonic SL1200 (MARK 1)?

I think aside from the SL-1200MSG and SL-1200GLD, which have improved wiring, they're all pretty much the same, aside from some extra DJ-oriented features on some of the models, which probably wouldn't have any audiophile application.

you seem to be knowledgeable about these turntables. I've been trying to find one of these somewhere. Mine says "Technics by Panasonic". I purchased mine in Japan, probably around 1975, maybe 1976. Is this worth anything? It has the two little pitch controls on the left side, by the 45-33 selector. not the sliding pitch on the right that I see on so many others. What is this worth?
Thanks for any info you can give me.
 
flavio81 I also picked up a 1300Mk2 with the predictable cueing lever broken. Other than that it was in next to mint condition which indicated to me the prior owner shelved it within a year of buying it when the cue lever broke. Cleaned the switches with Deoxit and it ran like a Swiss watch. Having owned two 1200Mk2 and still owning two SP-25 I have to say I was very impressed, basically a SP-15 without the finicky 78 speed. As for useing it without the cueing lever it wasn't any hinderance to me and I left it set in the manual mode. A AT Safety Raiser could probably be installed to lift the arm at the end of the record but I didn't find an overwelming need for it since I have a SP-25 with a ATP12T tonearm that has no cueing lever. How did it sound? Excellent and IMO it edged out the 1200Mk2 and was at least the equal of the SP-25.
 
I have 2 SL-1200mk2's, black and silver. I listen to mainly rock music and dance/ electronic/ 80's club music.

I hear of higher end turntables being more "airy" and such. Would there be any benefit upgrading the table for the music I listen to?

I don't live anywhere close to go and audition a high end table, so my experience with anything above "mid-level" is non-existent.
 
you seem to be knowledgeable about these turntables. I've been trying to find one of these somewhere. Mine says "Technics by Panasonic". I purchased mine in Japan, probably around 1975, maybe 1976. Is this worth anything? It has the two little pitch controls on the left side, by the 45-33 selector. not the sliding pitch on the right that I see on so many others. What is this worth?
Thanks for any info you can give me.

What you have is a first generation SL-1200, often referred to as the "SL-1200MK1." I have one of those as well, and they are very nice. Some of the European and Australasian models say "Technics by National."

I don't want this moved to 'dollars and sense," so let's just say that they don't have a huge resale value, but they are desirable.

This is what mine looks like:

79-1200-a.jpg
 
Last edited:
1300 Mk II is not the same as the SP-15. Different beastie. The SP is heavier built, has upgrade options which even SL-1200 models do not have, and competes with anybody's practical turntable. No SL-1300 Mk II ever worked for a living either in demanding AM/FM broadcast service, though they are nice for average home use when cueing and automation work correctly.
 
Kent I pretty much take anything you say as gospel. I'll go along with you that the 1300-1500Mk2 would not be appropriate for pro use. One table that is very closely related to this series is the SL-150Mk2 which I have seen used in pro settings with EPA tonearms. For home use the 1300Mk2 was quite a surprise and didn't give up much if anything to it's fellow Technics turntables.
 
The 1200mk1 is basically a smaller SL-1100. It has the same motor, tone arm and pitch control as the SL1100. It is built like a tank too and if you ask me, it is highly desirable and collectable if it is in good condition. Unlike the SL-1100, it looks like you can probably install a mk2 tonearm on it, but I have never tried it. The quartz lock mod that Kabusa does to the SL-1200mk2, basically makes the motor behave like the SL-1200mk1 motor. It's an old skool DJ mod, so don't go doing it to your mk2.
 
The SL-1300 and 1400 are superb when fully working. Mk II versions had cueing and automation issues. For a pure audiophile, the SL-1100 is my favorite. But I like the SL 150 Mk II and SL 1000 best of all, but they are SP tables and EPA tonearms in factory Technics plinths. If ya want an automatic, the SL-1600 Mk II is my favorite.
 
The SL-1300 and 1400 are superb when fully working. Mk II versions had cueing and automation issues. For a pure audiophile, the SL-1100 is my favorite. But I like the SL 150 Mk II and SL 1000 best of all, but they are SP tables and EPA tonearms in factory Technics plinths. If ya want an automatic, the SL-1600 Mk II is my favorite.

I have always wanted a nice SL1200 but I like a semi auto in case I forget to get up and return the tone arm when LP is finished. Is there any upgrades you can suggest if I find a SL 1600 MkII?? My friend has a SL1200Mk5 GM with KAB mods.super nice but out of my budget this year. And again I want a semi auto return.getting older now and sometimes I fall asleep playing my parents ols choll Lp they left me. :D
 
Kent giving it a little more thought re the chronilogical time line of Technics turntables and their specs I'd like to hear what you have to say. The Sp-15 was introduced around 1979 and the SP-25 around 1980 give or take. Shortly after the SL1200Mk2 was released. Prior to the SP-15 and SP-25 the only pro table was considered to be the SP-10Mk2. I'm just wondering if the SL-150Mk2 was an intermediate "pro/audiophile" table prior to the release of the SP-15 since they seem to share some similarities other than the SP-15 being a motor unit only and the SL-150Mk2 had an intergrated plinth. Looks like this might be the possible development path of the Technics turntables and their intended uses, home/pro/audiophile.
 
The SL-150 Mk II was the upmarket sibling to the SL-1100. Basically served the same role in the line. Not quite broadcast, but would work in a production room. Geared towards audiophiles, fully manual and had some tonearm choice. The original SP family was the SP 10 (TOTL), the SP-12, and the SP-20.
 
Back
Top Bottom