• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics pronounciation

Wow, what a long post for this. :)

tech·nic (tknk)
n.
1. technics (used with a sing. or pl. verb) The theory, principles, or study of an art or a process.
2. technics (used with a pl. verb) Technical details, rules, or methods.
3. Variant of technique.
adj.
Technical.
[From Greek tekhnikos, of art, from tekhn, art; see technical.]


The word is pronounced as Techniques; it's a real word -- Panasonic didn't make it up. Sorry if this has already been posted, but I just couldn't read all the pages on this. Not much else to say.

Actually I posted the link to the Merriam Webster def that showed both pronounciations (funny the spell check here says pronunciations < maybe a thread is needed for this too. :) )

and so far the only link that has it in writing saying the manufacturer says like "techniques" from wikipedia, but cases can be made it's just the Internet... ;)

Carry on folks ...
 
Last edited:
Porsh-ah, I worked for PCNA (Porsche Cars of North America) and people (especially Porsche Owners) who pronounced it Porsh used to drive me nuts!!!

Haha, I've always thought Por-sha sounded silly. I don't care how the Germans pronounce it, I speak English, not German.

Another one is Linux...... there's even a sound clip of Linus Tornvald pronouncing it...... me? I don't care how he says it..... he's not speaking English!
 
From that online dictionary:

"Technics is a term for the useful arts in general, distinct from that of the performing and fine arts. The name is often mispronounced as "tech-niks". However, according to the manufacturer, the correct pronunciation is 'techniques'."
 
We are the knights that say "Ni".
As it's a japanese brand I go with how they pronounce it. "Tech" (not a hard 'k' sound) "Nicks"
 
Man this is a fun thread. I like my speakers made by said company. My old friend used to have a solid reciever made by said company as well. Impressive, it was.

Maybe its pronounced as "said company?" better?

They made some solid stuff...not so at the helm of the 80s.
 
I'm not getting into this one.

I live in a town with the name of SCHAGHTICOKE, and it has taken me 30 years to figure that one out.
 
Back
Top Bottom