• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL M3 questions

bystander

Active Member
- Is there a grounding wire? mine doesn't seem to have one.

- Is there a way to set the tracking force? or is that not needed on a linear tracker?

- What p-mount cartridge do you recommend?

thanks in advance.
 
Register to hide this ad
Nice table!:yes:

This website might be a good starting point for information:http://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-m3.shtml. You have to join it to get the information.

For cartridges avoid Grado because it will likely pickup motor noises on your direct drive turntable, audible at louder listening levels in between songs or quiet passages. I have that problem if I use a Grado on my direct drive turntable. The top end of Audio-Technica, Ortofon, Shure see: http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=T4P. There is even a Moving coil P-mount listed there. This Audio-technica with a Shibata stylus I'm keeping in mind for later: http://www.edsaunders.com/quad.htm. I run a (old) AT231LP which is similar and works well with my modest SL-Q200. Shibata and Line contact are best at tracking the grooves.
 
There should be a ground wire for the preamp. There may be a 'tweak' limited range tracking force adjustment that should be left alone unless there is a problem Get the manual before fooling with it. Otherwise leave it alone.
Ortofon OMP-20 or 30 would be a good choice, Audio Technics made a range of good 'P'mounts as did Grado and Shure. Plenty of choices with good quality.
 
I would recommend the AT series sold by lpgear under their name, the Series VL or VS. The AT p-mounts adhere to weight and tracking force standards. Ortofons list a median TF of 1.5g and weigh only 5g, compared to the p-mount standard of 1.25g and 6g. So you would have to add about 1.25g of weight to the tonearm to make up the difference.
 
In the back of the turn table, next to the output connectors is a black colored socket. It so happens that its a perfect fit for a standard "banana" plug. When I first got my M3 I faced the same issue you have and bought a banana plug at Radio Shack and attached about 3 ft of stranded 22ga. hookup wire and had a removable grounding connection. FYI, Monster Cable makes a stereo patch cord with good RCA's at both ends and a molded in 22ga. wire. I attached a banana to one end and a spade lug to the other and had a custom set.

The SL-M3 came from Technics with a Technics branded MM P-Mount cart. Mine had a AT 3472 when I got it and that seemed to work fine. The stylus force CAN be changed but it does involve taking the cover off the arm track and making the arm set down on a pressure guage without having the platter in motion. Don't attempt unless you are very confident in your skills.
 
Thanks Everybody. I ended up going with a Grado Blue p-mount as I have had good luck with Grado cartridges on other Technics tables. I also got a ground wire installed into the guts (not a plug-in). Everything works great and sounds great too. It's a real looker, kind of a conversation piece due to its size and the way it works. Not sure how long I'll be hanging on to it though, I'm really more of a fully manual table guy and all the auto & moving parts on the M3 make me kind of nervous. Still, it's a fun table!
 
Back
Top Bottom