• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Advent Loudspeaker project

Okay! Here's the deal. After the rainyday and a lot of glueing the bad boys are back together. I'll have to take a better picture later. At least now I can have some "Ham" with my "Fried Eggs"!!!!!! I popped them back in the beat-up boxes
and took them up in the LR. Hooked them up, lit up the amp, Put on some Steely Dan and was a very happy man! :banana: They sound really good.

I was thinking of painting the aluminum ring black but I need more input. The advents have been ugly from birth :-) But frome what feedback I have recieved most like the unpainted ring.

"FM" from Steely Dan was playing at the time of the (shitty) picture! And I must say that the bass frequencies are not bad, not bad at all!!
 

Attachments

  • No_static.jpg
    No_static.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
After listening for a while I am happy with the re-foam job but they are a little too heavy on bass and week in the mid section. The highs are ok. I'll have to leave them hooked up and run them in faor a few days and check into the different types and prices of real wood veneer.
 
@Sir.Byrd

Like dark Blue to match the Cone Paper? I was thinking of covering the front surface of the cabinet with velvet, and maybe the rings too.
With a few adjustments the mids are comming out better.

I have a question about the speaker grill: The original only has openings for the speakers and the double cloth is rather restricting. Was this foreseen when developing the speakers or did Kloss have a friend in the masonite business?
 
Last edited:
After listening for a while I am happy with the re-foam job but they are a little too heavy on bass and week in the mid section. The highs are ok. I'll have to leave them hooked up and run them in faor a few days and check into the different types and prices of real wood veneer.

For too heavy bass try adding more fibreglas stuffing to the cabinet. Your results may vary but if the cabinet is very full it really helps take the "boom"
out of the bass.
 
I don't know if this is a good idea or not but it worked fine for me.

I used a D cell battery and connected it to the inputs of the woofer. It centered the voice coil perfectly.

Connecting it + to + and - to - moved the voice coil out a bit, I applied the glue to the frame of the woofer at that stage.

Then I reversed the polarity and it pulled it in, making it perfectly centered and just had to run my fingers gently around and left it until it set.

No messing with the dust covers either.
 
@Sir.Byrd

Like dark Blue to match the Cone Paper? I was thinking of covering the front surface of the cabinet with velvet, and maybe the rings too.
With a few adjustments the mids are comming out better.

I have a question about the speaker grill: The original only has openings for the speakers and the double cloth is rather restricting. Was this foreseen when developing the speakers or did Kloss have a friend in the masonite business?

The grill is accounted for in the design, they actually sound better with the grill on than off...
 
Thanks Sir.Byrd

I will check out what they sound like with the grills on. They are not in too good of shape but are still VFF (vollfunktionsfähig) . I can't think of the Engish word, (perfect working order maybe?)
 
The grilles are integral to the design, the undersize cutouts for both the tweeter and woofer comprising secondary "baffles" which mitigate the substantial phase interference apparent when they are not in place. Look here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1913495#post1913495

I am substantiating what Byrd said: Fix the grilles and use them.

If you want to show off your aluminum rings, do something else.... :yes:
 
Thanks Zilch

No I don't see much in showing off the rings, And I will see that I get the grills back into a "seeable" condition.

So how can I clean the cloth to remove all the stains? I washed the one on the left, It looks better but it still has spots that are pretty visible. The one on the right has not been cleaned. Maybe a Baking Soda sollution? And after looking at the link you attached I will have to strike out the velvet on the front of the speaker cabinet and just repaint it black.

Thanks again for the info!
 

Attachments

  • grills.jpg
    grills.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
No-go on the cleaning!

I went as far as using a diluted bleach. Oh well, besides the point. I went today to a rather well known carpenters buisness and checked into veneer for the speakers. I was more or less, well, laughed at when they heard what I wanted. but, I did get what I wanted 3m³ of dark oak veneer. I should have enough for the fronts too! When I am finished i am going to take them to that shop and stick them under thier noses and say, "See, you can learn a lot from an American!" My wife even noticed that it affected me.

Enough BS.

The speakers are now naked!!!! Mmmmmm, I Like.. But are far from laying veneer on them. I still have quit a bit of forplay yet. A couple corners are really out of wack and have to be re-glued with vices. No need in a lot of veneer work and it looks like sh*t in two weeks.

And last but not least, The speaker openings are way off between the two speakers. Both even have different glue colors. Maybe it can be seen in the pictures. I am positive that they where bought as an original pair at the time.
 

Attachments

  • Naked1.jpg
    Naked1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 81
  • Naked2.jpg
    Naked2.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 68
  • corner1.jpg
    corner1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 71
  • corner2.jpg
    corner2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 63
I think Advents look substantially better when you remove the original grill cloth and replace it with flat black or some other color....
 
Thanks Zilch

No I don't see much in showing off the rings, And I will see that I get the grills back into a "seeable" condition.

So how can I clean the cloth to remove all the stains? I washed the one on the left, It looks better but it still has spots that are pretty visible. The one on the right has not been cleaned. Maybe a Baking Soda sollution? And after looking at the link you attached I will have to strike out the velvet on the front of the speaker cabinet and just repaint it black.

Thanks again for the info!


I've found replacing with new cloth makes them shine. Not sure if you have JoAnne fabric stores in Germany. But check fabric store linen cloth section. I get 1/2 yard and it's plenty. I think I spent $7 last time.

Here's an AR:

IMGP3887.jpg
 
It would have been fun to get the rings anodized a color.

How bout an 'Engine Turned' look on those steel rings?

Great thread... I have 4 large advents woofers to do. 2 masonites and 2 metal basket types. Also have 2 AR 3a woofers and some smaller jensens, little ARs. They just magically find their way into my basement. ;-)

Oh yeah +3 on the fried eggs!
 
The project is still under full steam! I have to put in a few more pictures. I hope that I get to it in the next hour or so.
 
Back
Top Bottom