• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Advent Loudspeaker project

While waiting for the paint on the back to dry I couldn't help myself and had to put the speakers in just to see how they will look :D

Hmmm, should I leave the white foam behind the "fried egg"??

And I decided to color the rings flat black.

Now I have to get some new filling for the cabinets, look into a new crossover, and make some new front grills. And this time they won't be made out of aluminum! :D

So far, 30$ for the veneer, 26$ for the Re-foam kit, and about another 25$ for glue, paint, etc.. About an 85 buck make-over (so far)

Where do you get the veneer from? I want to do the make-over with the Klipsch Heresy that I just got today $220.0. The cabs are beat-up but the sound is wonderful.
 
Thanks everyone for the great compliments. I also had to pat myself on the back :D

@ MickeySmile
I bought the veneer directly from a carpenter here in Germany. And as I mentioned in an earlier post I was laughed at when I said what I was going to do with it. And I am so pleased with the outcome I am going to take one to his shop and let him check out the work to stop him from thinking, ("what a fool!")
 
Well maybe Awesome or Swwweeeeettt or Gnarly or Groovy or (insert here depending on what era you're from)!

Whatever wets your whistle :D

And I shown the speakers to the veneer supplier today (to save face) And after I pulled one out of the cardboard box and , well.... A few seconds of pause..... and then " It really did work" (the ironing on of the veneer)

Another in the office ran his fingers over the corners and looked them over front and back. And then a third walked into the office, seen the speaker that the other two wher looking at, looked at it too, and then the boss said
"He did that with a cloths iron!".. "I think we need to buy a few Ironing boards and a few irons"...

It made my day to here that it was a "good job done" and he also said that if I needed any othe veneers it would be no problem.

The new front grills are in the works. I have to take a few pictures but have not found the time. ;-(

Thanks again. :yes:
 
Well, I finished the new speaker grills. I had to meke new ones because the old ones where so warped, And covered them with a black speaker cloth. I just have to waite now for some parts so I can get them finished.
 

Attachments

  • cover1.jpg
    cover1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 48
  • cover2.jpg
    cover2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 33
  • coverfini.jpg
    coverfini.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 90

I just stumbled onto this thread while looking for information about the old Advents. I just picked up a pair for next to nothing myself and will proceed to refurbish soon.
What caught my attention, however, other than the work you are doing on your own Advents, was your video........You made me homesick! My wife and I spent 13 years in Frankfurt. Consequently we got very familiar with many of the places you mentioned in your video. Ah, how I want to go back some day. We left and returned state-side in 93. Still have some dear friends living in Darmstadt and Bad Neuheim.
Thanks......now back to reading about your Advent project.
Gruss
 
I have a pair of original advents that need a repair job as well, I just finished refoaming another set of speakers and have two other repair jobs under my belt. I plan to start in on my Advent project soon. I really look forward to getting these ones done and hear what they sound like.
 
Just finished reading the entire thread and you have done a wonderful job. You have motivated me to catalog my entire project as you have done. I will begin this evening by taking some before photos of my Advents. Once my project is complete, then I will post a chronological sequence of events. Hope my project turns out as nicely as your has. Well done!
 
Thanks everyone!

@ Old School, spok

I must say that I had a lot of fun doing the Advents (but they are not quite finished yet). And I wish you the best of luck on your project and will be thrilled to see your progress!



My wife asked me this morning "Now that your speakers are finished, what are you going to do?" well, I decided to build some cabinets for some speakers that I just picked up. This will take a while before I make a rough design and get the supplies together. The speakers are:

"Wigo Acustic A13"
2 Bass 20 cm, 2 Mids 12 cm, 2 tweetersr 7 cm, 2 orginal crossovers for boxes between 16-20 Liter volume, fully closed.

Anyone heard them before?

And "Old School" Small world! I've been here since 1982 and have also been just about everywhere in Germany!
 
Last edited:
@ FIXITAGAIN

No boxes, just speakers from: " Wigo Acustic A13's" I have not found anything on them yet.
Here are the what the speakerslook like. (bad small picture)

Have to edit, I just found them!
 

Attachments

  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 66
  • wigo78-09.jpg
    wigo78-09.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Hello.
I have a technical question to ask, and I hope I can describe it good enough that it is understood.

I am pleased at the performance that the advents bring, They sound great. The question I want to ask is:...

since I refoamed and repacked them I have noticed that when I push (equally distributed) on the cones of the bass speaker inwards and let go, they don't spring out as fast as I pushed them in. almost as if there where a vacuum inside the cabinets. did I repack them too much, and are they working too hard?
Should they move freely? or is a resistance good? I hope that what I am saying is understood and if not I can try to re-word it. The Boxes are really "air tight" after the "re-furb" job, and I can only imagine that when new the cabinets were also air tight. I would appreiciate any opinions.

Thanks
Jeff
 
Last edited:
I don't know, but I've been told airtight is good.

I think the goal is to seal them well enough that they can serve dual purpose as barometers.
 
Jeff,

Your woofers are acting just exactly as they should.

An acoustic suspension speaker system needs to be sealed and air tight. When this has been achieved, when you push in on the woofer cone, there will be resistance and when you release the cone it will return fairly slowly to its rest position.

Doug
 
With small, but distributed leakage, actually.

When you push in slowly, air leaks out of volume equivalent to the displacement. When you release, the air goes back in at the apparent rate, restoring the pressure equilibrium.

If it were perfectly sealed, it would spring back immediately.... :yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom