• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Amazing Collapse of CD Sales

Streaming services like Spotify also allow you to hear a song you like and tap on the artist to explore their other offerings. Then you will receive playlists of your liked songs artists new releases, weekly new music that is similar, etc. It opens you up to finding new music that you may like as no hard media can.

With so much new music being offered, I find myself playing CDs and LPs much less than in the past. And if I really want to hear it, I can likely access it unless its rather obscure. Just got done streaming a live version of Frank Zappa's Watermelon in Easter Hay. The Dweezel version is there too.
 
This is not surprising at all.
A 512Gb Nvme SSD could contain the equivalent of 1000 to 1500 CDs and take up a few square inches on a desk.

A stack of 1000 standard retail jewel cases would be roughly 32 feet / 9.75m tall, or occupy 51 USPS "shoe box" sized mailing boxes.
Then there is the issue of "disc rot". Like magnetic tape, CDs do deteriorate over time.
 
Wonder if the downloads are just that, downloads? Streaming is a different animal somewhat close to the same.
More detail is found here with the 2019 RIAA statistics. And yes, it appears a download is a download. I purchase quite a few from HD Tracks and Qobuz.
But, I recently signed up for Spotify, and I’m enjoying the virtues of that platform. But my cds sound better.
I too, find a difference between Redbook and lossy formats. I subscribe to Qobuz Studio which not only streams lossless Redbook quality but 192/24 lossless as well. :)
 
I went from a collection of about 100 CDs to about 1000 CDs over the last two years. None of them were new though.

When I was regularly browsing my local used book store, there seems to be twice as much foot traffic around the used CDs as records.

I know it's apples and oranges with new vs used, These are just my observations, which I found pretty interesting.
 
I did just download 14 albums in UHD to my phone from AMHD lastnight for my plane ride back East Friday :D

If you purchased the albums for DL, it counts. If you are paying a monthly fee that includes DL capability (for when you’re offline) it isn’t an album sale. Those DL’s go away if/when you unsubscribe to the service.
AND, that was one long plane ride!!!! Lol
 
If you purchased the albums for DL, it counts. If you are paying a monthly fee that includes DL capability (for when you’re offline) it isn’t an album sale. Those DL’s go away if/when you unsubscribe to the service.
AND, that was one long plane ride!!!! Lol

No purchase, you can download music as part of your subscription. Ha... that’s what you said.

I usually have a playlist downloaded but went albums this time.

Comes in handy for those 16hr Atlanta to Narita's I do often.
 
I actually played a CD on my CD player after several months just to ensure it was still working.
iPad + Bluesound 2i with optional physical remote control + Qobuz has made me into an audio couch potato.
 
Streaming services like Spotify also allow you to hear a song you like and tap on the artist to explore their other offerings. Then you will receive playlists of your liked songs artists new releases, weekly new music that is similar, etc. It opens you up to finding new music that you may like as no hard media can.

With so much new music being offered, I find myself playing CDs and LPs much less than in the past. And if I really want to hear it, I can likely access it unless its rather obscure. Just got done streaming a live version of Frank Zappa's Watermelon in Easter Hay. The Dweezel version is there too.

Yep, it's amazing what is available via streaming. I've found copies of Grateful Dead concerts I attended 40+ years ago, and there are literally dozens of live performances from bands like Hot Tuna, the Grateful Dead, and The Allman Brothers, to name 3 I like, available, and in Hi-Res

HT.png
 
Question - I've seen people dumping their CD collection at local garage sales, but with covid there are fewer garage sales.

Where do you guys buy your used CDs online?

And are the prices of used CDs falling on the big online sites?

Snade
 
I'm a die hard physical medium fan and even I am looking into getting a DAC for streaming now that digital sound quality/resolution is surpassing CD. That being said, I remember when CD's topped out at $16-17 each in the early 2000s. Now I can pick up 5 new quality CD's for that price!
 
It's certainly not my fault. I still buy CDs frequently, because (a) I like having the physical copy, (b) I like to support the artists, and (c) stuff disappears from the streaming services pretty often.
 
Question - I've seen people dumping their CD collection at local garage sales, but with covid there are fewer garage sales.

Where do you guys buy your used CDs online?

And are the prices of used CDs falling on the big online sites?

Snade

CDs aren't like records in that the quality of the actual disk isn't as crucial; I have lots of scrtached CDs that play fine. Also the ease of copying them seems to impact pricing too.

I've bought a few online and they rarely are over $10 for something unless it is rare and special. Under $5 is pretty common. I've sold a few boxes of them in BT too, but most of those wind up going for under $1/each for commons or collections. CDs are a lot like LPs; sometimes you luck out and find someone whose taste mirrors you and it's game on!, but most of the time it's a title or two for a buck or less at garage and estate sales.

They still bring more money that VHS tapes and most DVDs though; VHS tapes are brutal to sell. I bought a bunch of Maxell Golds for a quarter a pop years ago when I was recording radio shows on a stereo VHS deck. I still have a few VHS tapes, a player, and a recorder, but I also need to look into digitizing more of the family tapes. It's not as straight forward as it seems as there are multiple formats to choose from and I think my recorder uses a more obscure one so I may have to convert from one digital format to another.
 
I still like owning physical copies myself. I do have music I've downloaded. I usually burn the downloads to CD. Streaming has been useful for finding new music and artists. I still buy LP's too. there is a used record/CD shop near me thats been in business since the early 80's. I've been buying CD's and some albums there since he opened. The owner is a nice old hippie that keeps it going.
 
Back
Top Bottom