• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Great Alvin Lee Dies

Rest In Peace Alvin.

Saw him and Ten Years After as the opening act for Black Sabbath with Ozzy back in 1981 at the Montreal Forum.

He blew Black Sabbath out the back door.

Tremendous talent. Sad news, so young.

Rest in Peace.
 
Very devastating news. Been a fan since the late 60's and bought several TYA LPs as they were released. I saw TYA in 1973 at the old Chicago Amphitheater when I was in my teens. In the 80's I saw TYA on a reunion tour, at The Park West. Both great concerts, that I'll always remember fondly.

While learning to play the guitar in the late 60's early 70's. Alvin inspired me to kick up the speed in my playing(not easy for a 13 yr old) and actually buy a sunburst Gibson ES-335, which I still own today. A great loss in the guitar and rock world. RIP......Alvin, you're finally home.
 
Last edited:
Alvin Lee with Mylon LeFevre

Sad news for sure. Give this album a listen, the title track is very good. "On The Road To Freedom"
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 13
This hits close to home for me.. My first TIME, was to his version of Good Morning Little School Girl.. All I can say is, Thanks for the memories and RIP!
 
A friend just texted me about it.
I used to hang around over at this particular friend's house, he had 3 older brothers, and one of them had A Space in Time.
I thought that was pretty damn cool as a 12 or 13 yr old.
I got everything TYA & Alvin put out over the years, and was lucky enough to see his solo act several times in the St Louis area.
The best time had to be at Stages in Granite City where Mick Taylor played with him.
One of the best guitarists ever.
R.I.P. Alvin
 
Just a correction to another post. Cricklewood Green was released in April 1970.

Their first album TYA (1967) was a dud, the second, a live Undead (1968) contained "I'm Going Home" which put them on the charts in the US and UK.

They did not have any major success in the US until after their appearance at Woodstock in 1969.

RIP Alvin.
 
Last edited:
I found this Alvin Lee quote online . . .

This is one of the reasons I stopped listening to rock in the 70's & gravitated towards Jazz.


"In a 1975 interview with Rolling Stone magazine, Lee lamented how after the Woodstock performance audiences wanted more rock-driven songs from the band.

"We had respectful audiences then who would appreciate a jam or a swing," Lee said. "But after Woodstock, the audience got very noisy and only wanted to hear things like 'I'm Going Home.'"

He added: "I've always been much more of a guitar picker but I began to feel forced into a position of being the epitome of a rock and roll guitarist."
 
I'm out of town and iust saw this, bummer. My favorite is that live LP, I like the story in the liner notes of how they recorded it at that hotel. He made lots of great albums. Saw him live on what I think was his first solo tour, the winter of 75.
 
Last edited:
"Baby won't you let me Rock N' Roll you?"
Fantastic guitarist - RIP
His Woodstock performance is always remembered by anyone who has ever seen it - sears into the mind and never lets go.
His music will live on forever!
 
I was fortunate enough to see Alvin Lee open for Foghat back in "77" always enjoyed his music. Rest in Peace Alvin.
 
I liked his speed and the fact he got tired of being a "traveling jukebox",love to find one of his early albums with the Jaybirds.RIP Does anyone know his given name as AL was his stage name?
 
Back
Top Bottom