...In racking my brain over it all, the ONLY thing that makes any sense, is that these units were never designed -- or intended -- to do what we are now trying to make them do. They were very good utility amplifiers (with power of these type units typically rated at 5% THD -- not a more conservative 2% as Bogen did), that were designed for extended operation and long tube life. With rated power delivered with no more than 2% THD, it was all good, and just quite possibly, there was no reason to correct the design, as it was likely already producing a cleaner output waveform than many of it competitor's unit were...
It's funny. As far as I'm concerned, too perfect amps with something like 0.005% THD have not remain long in my home listening world. I always found smoother to my ears the sound of amplifiers with 0.5% and up THD (2-3% about max) which were for most, pre-1975 production units including tube amps. The components used at the time surely plays a role. Seeing that, after 50-60 years, they're still withing specs, in the case of that bogen, we can call this reliability.
Rock -- In the end, I completely agree with your assessment -- but for myself, I would offer an alternate reason as to why: I don't believe it is the lack of distortion so much (i.e. the .0000000x% THD levels) that is so dissatisfying, but rather, the method in which it is achieved.
Equipment with ultra low distortion levels contain massive amounts of NFB. While I absolutely believe in the merits that it offers, I am decidedly NOT in the crowd that if some NFB is good, more is better. I believe that there is a very defined point after which adding more feedback does nothing by dry out the sound, leaving it lifeless. However, even if the level is correct, feedback must also be applied in a stable fashion, or the effects of instability can become very audible.
To that point then, all of my efforts with the Bogen to date still use the original design level of 17 db NFB,(altered slightly only by the increase in quiescent current now used), with all of the distortion reduction occurring because of improved AC/DC balance, improved operating points, and improved use of the existing feedback level. Achieving reductions in distortion in this manner have always been far more preferable to me, rather than simply throwing more feedback at a design to cover up its warts.
Dave
... I am decidedly NOT in the crowd that if some NFB is good, more is better. I believe that there is a very defined point after which adding more feedback does nothing by dry out the sound, leaving it lifeless.
just right! No extended frequency ranges needed, the distortion would be unable to detect, and for the most part probably trouble free, you really couldn't have asked more from them.