• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Original 10" ESS AMT1 Full Restoration, Alnico Re-cone. Heil Restoration.

roadieINTL Did you get the AMT 1s?
Funny you ask! I’m currently still hassling the owner - they responded saying “sorry, didn’t see your messages, yes I still have them”
But now they’ve stopped responding again
:rflmao:
::I can only sit back and laugh and wait:::
 
It's been a while. I randomly decided to make a better quality stereo recording of these speakers with the new ESS Alnico woofer Cones. The bass can be so intense it blows me away just in its texture, so well defined, and airy.

Where before it was fairly poor in all regards.

And no, the Ohms are not being used in this recording. A bit confusing with the Quad amp.

And yes, that is a dead Roomba!


 
Last edited:
I like my first gen AMT1's, but they simply don't hold a candle to my Focal. I do think they destroy the vast majority of the typical box speakers a lot of people gloat about. I've been thinking of getting rid of mine though. I rarely ever use mine. I did pretty much the same restoration described above and the look good.
Why do people say stupid $ht like this. Those are 2x completly diffrent speakers that do completly diffrent things and operates on a completly different principle. Incomparable. Your Focals probably do some things better, but I guarantee that ESS speakers also do many things that the Focals can't touch. And vice versa. Also, I doubt you used the correct woofers in your AMTs, or had the rebuilt if original, as I am one of only a few to have had it done according to the CEO Rick/Rico. You cannot use off the shelf woofers, their never going to cross, or sound right. I've tried every woofer that has ever been recommended for them, before I got the recone and knew that was even an option.

On the AMT3s, you can get away with it due to a low XOver point that has nothing to do with the Heil. But on these, I've tried literally everything.

ESS uses woofers that respond different from anything I've ever encountered, but manages too blend with the Heil precisely. And ESS AMTs can be particularly difficult to setup properly. They really must be pinpoint within the room due to their speed, proper "air" all around the speakers, or everything will start to sound very closed off.

Everything will, and always will be a compromise. That's why nothing sounds exactly the same. I look at speakers like art, they are all diffrent, many are amazing, but all, are completly different from one another and have their own unique sound/personality.

That's why I love this hobby, I dont stick to 1 pair of speakers and I dedicate myself too tuning the room, and aligning them within the room properly for each pair individually for the best possible sound.

I discover and listen too as mutch as I possibility can to expand my horizon as far as I can. As a result, I have starting prototyping some ideas of mine. Here is a mid/tweeter planar magnetic prototype I designed using a speciality microwire. I am also prototyping and experimenting with DIY MBL style OMNI tweets, mids, and fullranges.

Regardless. The ESS AMT1s are amazing speakers when they are properly rebuilt, and hopefully has the original woofers so they can be rebuilt.

 
Last edited:
Why do people say stupid $ht like this. Those are 2x completly diffrent speakers that do completly diffrent things and operates on a completly different principle. Incomparable. Your Focals probably do some things better, but I guarantee that ESS speakers also do many things that the Focals can't touch. And vice versa. Also, I doubt you used the correct woofers in your AMTs, or had the rebuilt if original, as I am one of only a few to have had it done according to the CEO Rick/Rico. You cannot use off the shelf woofers, their never going to cross, or sound right. I've tried every woofer that has ever been recommended for them, before I got the recone and knew that was even an option.

On the AMT3s, you can get away with it due to a low XOver point that has nothing to do with the Heil. But on these, I've tried literally everything.

ESS uses woofers that respond different from anything I've ever encountered, but manages too blend with the Heil precisely. And ESS AMTs can be particularly difficult to setup properly. They really must be pinpoint within the room due to their speed, proper "air" all around the speakers, or everything will start to sound very closed off.

Everything will, and always will be a compromise. That's why nothing sounds exactly the same. I look at speakers like art, they are all diffrent, many are amazing, but all, are completly different from one another and have their own unique sound/personality.

That's why I love this hobby, I dont stick to 1 pair of speakers and I dedicate myself too tuning the room, and aligning them within the room properly for each pair individually for the best possible sound.

I discover and listen too as mutch as I possibility can to expand my horizon as far as I can. As a result, I have starting prototyping some ideas of mine. Here is a mid/tweeter planar magnetic prototype I designed using a speciality microwire. I am also prototyping and experimenting with DIY MBL style OMNI tweets, mids, and fullranges.


Regardless. The ESS AMT1s are amazing speakers when they are properly rebuilt, and hopefully has the original woofers so they can be rebuilt.

You have to understand reactive load.
He has been complaining about his AMT1's for some time-and lauding about his Focal's.
IMHO-just sell them if you don't like them-and quit venting about in on ESS threads-we all get it dude....
 
I like my first gen AMT1's, but they simply don't hold a candle to my Focal. I do think they destroy the vast majority of the typical box speakers a lot of people gloat about. I've been thinking of getting rid of mine though. I rarely ever use mine. I did pretty much the same restoration described above and the look good.
Yep-heard it before.
Your Focals are the best...
IMHO just sell the AMT1's if you don't like them.
And perhaps knock off the venting on ESS threads-it's not helpful-because it's mainly a crap fest on ESS-without anything really helpful and the endless Focal plugs.....a major drag...
As mentioned.some speakers do some things better, others not so much-visa versa.
Interpreting people enthusiasm ("gloat"??) for ESS/Great Heils speakers as fact-well that's your mistake...and makes your whole argument/posts baseless and without merit.
 
Last edited:
Yep-heard it before.
Your Focals are the best...
IMHO just sell the AMT1's if you don't like them.
And perhaps knock off the venting on ESS threads-it's not helpful-because it's mainly a crap fest on ESS-without anything really helpful and the endless Focal plugs.....a major drag...
As mentioned.some speakers do some things better, others not so much-visa versa.
Interpreting people enthusiasm ("gloat"??) for ESS/Great Heils speakers as fact-well that's your mistake...and makes your whole argument/posts baseless and without merit.

Point your butt hurt somewhere else because I don't care what you think. You have nothing better to do than dig up 4 month old posts to reply to? Pathetic.
 
Point your butt hurt somewhere else because I don't care what you think. You have nothing better to do than dig up 4 month old posts to reply to? Pathetic.
Point my butt hurt???
Hmmm..sounds like you have the case of the "butt hurt"..for what ever reason....
Just pointing out the obvious....nothing to get excited about IMHO
I wasn't the one that mentioned your comments where stupid shxx....
4 months, 4 years, happens all the time at AK....
Had nothing to do with if you liked it or not.....
 
Last edited:
I purchased some acoustic foam (PE is having a sale) to line some cabinets and when I put a piece behind the Heil, it reduces a peak at 3,250 Hz by ~0.5-0.6 dB (on the 61-band RTA) and pulls up the area below the peak, near the crossover point, by a couple tenths of a dB. I think it also helps in imaging. I attribute this to artifacts of the reflection from the rear face that are reduced/eliminated with the foam. I found that a small piece right at the rear diaphragm that I had been using did not have nearly as much effect.

I just cut it to size and it stays on the back with some double-sided tape. Takes 5 "pyramids" to cover a back. They are 73% off right now.

https://www.parts-express.com/sonic...-enclosures-and-studios-12-x-12-x-1---260-546
 
I guess I don't have a issue with the Heil peak with my 2 pair of modded AMT3's
They sound very natural, musical with all types of music.
Having said that Heil are known for a honest transparency as well
I think alot of how it manifest itself has to do with how the supporting drivers blends, crossover slopes etc.
And secondarily your driving equipment.
I tired some different crossovers/damping.
With my modded AMT3's-stock mid-1040SF woofers-braced treated and dampened cabinet-I prefer the stock crossover points-and no additional Heil damping.
I use Mundorf Evo Oils in the mid/Heil sections in one pair.
And a mix of Jantzen Supeior Z's and Mundorf Evo Oils in the second hard wire-custom Inductor coil pair
IMHO-this is the best thing you can do to the Great Heil.
You will hear layers you never heard before, pretty amazing stuff!
Along with swamping out old diaphragms for the newer production units.
They have a much clearer sound-and a higher output-compared to the stock (old) AMT3 high pleat units.
Your mileage may vary-depending on your ears, and supporting drivers.
 
Last edited:
Point my butt hurt???
Hmmm..sounds like you have the case of the "butt hurt"..for what ever reason....
Just pointing out the obvious....nothing to get excited about IMHO
I wasn't the one that mentioned your comments where stupid shxx....
4 months, 4 years, happens all the time at AK....
Had nothing to do with if you liked it or not.....

Yeah you were. I quoted ya. Grow up.
 
Yeah you were. I quoted ya. Grow up.
??
Apparently the Linseed Oil fumes from your Flax Cones are interfering with your sense of reality
It seems Focal failed to warn you of the possible side effects of the fumes, and that you may experience Alternative Focal Reality Syndrome(AFORS).
From your past post-it seems your are most likely suffering from that-so it's starting to make sense now..
Also-avoid excessive heat-as those seed cones will go up in flames!!!
Please keep a fire extinguisher handy if you plan on long periods of use.
Sound as Clear As Light is your only hope at this time.....
American Pulp cone woofers can also ease the side effects...
 
Last edited:
I purchased some acoustic foam (PE is having a sale) to line some cabinets and when I put a piece behind the Heil, it reduces a peak at 3,250 Hz by ~0.5-0.6 dB (on the 61-band RTA) and pulls up the area below the peak, near the crossover point, by a couple tenths of a dB. I think it also helps in imaging. I attribute this to artifacts of the reflection from the rear face that are reduced/eliminated with the foam. I found that a small piece right at the rear diaphragm that I had been using did not have nearly as much effect.

I just cut it to size and it stays on the back with some double-sided tape. Takes 5 "pyramids" to cover a back. They are 73% off right now.

https://www.parts-express.com/sonic...-enclosures-and-studios-12-x-12-x-1---260-546
Sure-but then you kill the air, and make it more of a direct driver.
I went through all of this, wings, your triangle thing as well. Damping this, damping that-bypass cap-etc
IMHO the lens had a lot of artifacts,and plain sounded funny.
Pretty much like something in front of the Heil-no good...
All sorts of other changes for years-then going back as I didn't like the effects over time.
In part-because many of the changes seem to apparently eliminate what I like best about the Heil sound-tonality-ease-air-for example. The changes it make it for extraordinary to plain 'ol ordinary.
Eh, what's the point?
Interesting effects-and for some like your self, a apparent improvement, but in the end for myself I prefer the Great Heil as is, warts and all so to speak.
With my supporting drivers-it gives a honest, musical airy sound with plenty of detail and zero fatigue.
The biggest improvement with my AMT3's was the addition of the 1040SF's. As the output and bass detail (in a sealed configuration) rival the Great heil, and are a excellent match.
I see alot of people like your self, as well as other continuously messing with and analyzing the Great Heil.
I get it
Perfect-nope-what speaker is?-but one of the better full rangers I have heard over the years-that's why I have 2 pair
IMHO it says alot that the AMT3-they pretty much got it right-except for the weak woofers.
Amazing IMHO, as the design is about 50 years old, and still wear well....
Kinda like 'ol Ethel M I suppose.
JW.jpg
Dude says Ethels a drag.....so check that......
81a3723d63751a19a26f0dba35d3233f--husker-du-indie-pop.jpg
 
Last edited:
I remember reading on AK somewhere that ESS mounted the Heil in the wrong location? About an inch off or something? Can't remember if it needs to be moved towards the rear an inch for it to be correct? I assume this would only be for the vintage units. Can anyone confirm this?
 
I remember reading on AK somewhere that ESS mounted the Heil in the wrong location? About an inch off or something? Can't remember if it needs to be moved towards the rear an inch for it to be correct? I assume this would only be for the vintage units. Can anyone confirm this?
Ricky at ESS says they now mount the Heil back one inch from the placement used in the 70's series speakers. Some form of time alignment. Ricky has told that to several of us AK members. Some AKers have moved their Heils on their 70's models.
 
To align the voice coils.
Will-aka Porkloin and myself can't tell a difference.
Not sure with others.
Given the speed of sound-and the distance traveled-the difference would be subtle at best for those who can hear the difference.
With the Monitors/AMT3's you would need to modify the upper brace as well.
IMHO go for it if you think it helps!
Same with all the triangle lenses-foam wings etc.
If your up to experimenting-might as well have some fairly inexpensive fun-and learn something new at the same time.
I had a blast-that's for sure!!
With the exception of the 1040SF woofers-the biggest difference I hear in my AMT3's was swamping out the old diaphragms-the new production ones are a real improvement.
The second biggest improvement was swamping out entry level poly caps in the mid/high section for Mundorf Evo Oils, or Evo Oil/Jantzen combo.
IMHO the Great Heil really excels with caps that are on the same transparency level as itself.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom