• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Pioneer "SPEC" Gear Thread!

I know it sez don't quote me... but SPEC 5 ?? Would that be like the M-73 power amp? It fits real good with the C-73 preamp (SPEC-3) and its speaker control and headphone/out. Just wondering... I cain't find a SPEC-3 and never even heard of the SPEC-5 till now.


What you know 'bout that?

:guitar:

There is only the Spec 1, 2, 3 & 4, the 1 & 3 are both pre-amps, while the 2 and 4 are both power-amps. The Spec 3 is a somewhat simplified version of the Spec 1, while the Spec 4 has a dual mono structure with two tranny's, as opposed to the Spec 2, which actually is higher powered, but has one circular powertransformer.

The C-73&M-73 combi is part of the "Reference" or so called "Elite" series depending on the market in which they were sold. They have the same Urushi finish as the M-90/C-90 combi.
 
000_0212.jpgnot this C-73/M-73 ...they be SPEC to me! They don't even look like those black elite pioneers. Must be same number different era. Those elite didn't even come across my radar...sorry but SPEC rule!


what you know 'bout that



:guitar:
 
View attachment 167094not this C-73/M-73 ...they be SPEC to me! They don't even look like those black elite pioneers. Must be same number different era. Those elite didn't even come across my radar...sorry but SPEC rule!


what you know 'bout that



:guitar:

You are right sir... I forgot to mention those, since they are not spec's.. They are Japanese market only rack mountable separates. The C73 pictured there is indeed the same as the SPEC3 western substitute, The M73 has no western substitute.

The comparison is like this:
C-73 --> Spec 3
C-77 --> Spec 1
M-73 --> no substitue
M-75 --> Spec 4 (there is a little difference here, being the knobs between the VU's)
M-77 --> Spec 2

Interestingly enough there is also a separate rack mountable tuner, being the F-73, which is about the same as a TX-9500.. Furthermore there is the CT-97 rack mountable cassettedeck, which is technically the same as a CT-F9191..

There are some more rack mountable separates as well for the Japanese market, but they are from a different quality and specs with them. Being the: C-1500, SC-1500II, SC-1800II, M-1500, SM-1500II, SM-1800II and the F-1500.

Cheers,
JW
 
Last edited:
I wonder if the good Doctor would mind sharing some of his expertise regarding whether the Japanese "M" and "C" components are related to the SPEC line or some other line. How about it Doc, do you have any evidence either way in your piles of catalogs, magazines and research?

Not looking to start an argument here, it's just an interesting point of discussion.

Paging Dr. Strangelove....
 
Not much to add. JW has it correct. The M-73 does look like a SPEC-4, but is smaller and has a phone jack on the front.

Looking for any specific data?

Doc
 
I guess what my question comes down to is "are they SPEC or aren't they".

From what I'm reading, they look similar and there may be similarities internally but Pioneer marketed them separately so they're not really SPEC.

So does that mean we officially only have 4 SPEC components?
 
I guess what my question comes down to is "are they SPEC or aren't they".

From what I'm reading, they look similar and there may be similarities internally but Pioneer marketed them separately so they're not really SPEC.

So does that mean we officially only have 4 SPEC components?

i belive that is correct
 
I have not looked at the schematics, but I would imagine that they would be very close, if not the same.

Many components were marketed under a different model, yet are the same except for voltage differences.

For example, an A-27 is an A-0012.

A SX-1250 is a SX-5590

A PLC-590 is a XLC-1850

I just depends on where they are marketed.

Given the opportunity to build a SPEC system, I would not hesitate to use the C or M gear being discussed, and call it a SPEC system.

Another example is the U-24, with the Pioneer logo versus the Series20 logo. If you were building a Series20 system, to be absolutely pure I would insist upon the Series20 logo. But, I would be very happy with the Pioneer logo.

A rose by any other name...

Doc
 
Well said Doc.

So, we embrace the M and C components as SPEC if we choose to do so.

I guess it's almost a question of lineage. It would be interesting to see a family tree of Pioneer components based on their DNA (internal design) as opposed to the name under which they were marketed. Sounds like a lot of work...

Anyway, I digress, back to the SPEC gear thread...
 
Spec-4 input caps

Hello. Did anyone add a pair of input capacitors to their Spec-4 left channel? I am cleaning my Spec-4 and noticed that there is no 33pF capacitor between L input positive and the ground. The schematic does not show it either. Same for 68pF on level potentiometer. I am planning on adding those to my amp and was wondering if I am missing something. Thanks.
 
After what seemed like a long time. My 350.00 spec system

My spec system that I got for $350.00
(Included Mystery Pioneer Speakers)
(About 200 Alblums)
(Neither Do I have yet)

Problems found & Desc:

1. Turtable is yucky. Kenwood KD48F
(Missing hing and 45hub)
(Keeping my Realistic Lab 420 TT)
2. Pioneer TX-9800 Receiver
(Loose Tuning Knob and no power light)
3. Pioneer CT-1040W Dual Tape Deck
(Tried to find info. Not much info.)
(Does not appear to be 3 head)
(Does not play, ff/rew) Perhaps Belt?)
(Anybody have any info on this deck?)
4. Pioneer RG2 Reverb Unit
5. Pioneer RG2 Dynamic Processor
6. Pioneer DT-500 Timer
7. Pioneer SG 300 EQ
(All Lights Work)
8. Spec 1 Stereo Pre-Amp
(No power light)
9. Spec 4 Amp
All need a good bath, de-ox and minor problems above fixed.

Overall my coral (never get the name right) speakers sound like new, like Holy ****. Radioshack nova 9 okay. Compressed audio from computer. YUCKY. Recorded rock from recordto teac A-1250S. OMG!!!!!!!
 

Attachments

  • pioneertowerofpower.jpg
    pioneertowerofpower.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 123
  • pioneertimereqsmall.jpg
    pioneertimereqsmall.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 78
  • pioneertaperg2units.jpg
    pioneertaperg2units.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 85
  • pioneerspec4amp.jpg
    pioneerspec4amp.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 94
  • pioneerstereospec1small.jpg
    pioneerstereospec1small.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
heck of a deal you got there. Once you get it all settled in, I highly recommend checking into having them re-capped. Well worth the money or the effort.
Looks like u turned into an instant Pioneer collector
 
Update & History

History:

I always like pioneer, sansui and akai. Found the normal way. My parents had a pioneer tuner and a few friends did. Oh yea. Then Akai for about any tape deck known to man. Then sansui on my own starting with a reverb unit I no longer have. I'll probably stick with pioneer now.

Update:

Opened the tuner up. Fixed the loose tuner knob.
Cleaned up face plate.

Tape deck is the belts. Turned to goo.

As for any other repair. Probably clean up face plates and maybe deox. If not next year they will get professional serviced. As for caps that will have to wait.

TTFN,

Josh
 
Can't believe I missed this thread!

Here are my SPEC-1 and SPEC-4 as I found them. Discovered them in, of all places, a hole-in-the-wall record shop in Manchester, NH. Apparently, they'd been sitting there on-consignment for quite some time, with the price being lowered from time to time until finally being priced at $300 for the pair, which is what I paid. :banana: Originally figured I'd just be using the SPEC-1 as a preamp for my McIntosh MC2120, but the SPEC-4 was no slouch itself. :music:

pioneerspec.jpg


Really should take a picture of them in with the rest of the stack.
-Adam
 
And clean 'em up! :thmbsp:

Yeah, I've been meaning to do that for two years now... :scratch2: Really, that stuff only shows when I look at that photo. What would be the best way to clean the front of these things without harming the markings or the switches?
-Adam
 
Yeah, I've been meaning to do that for two years now... :scratch2: Really, that stuff only shows when I look at that photo. What would be the best way to clean the front of these things without harming the markings or the switches?
-Adam

BLUE MAGIC....It is a metal polish. I know that it will work because I used it on my Spec 1, Spec 4, and TX-9800. I took the faceplates off and polished them like a car.

Trust me.. IT WILL NOT HARM THE LETTERING. It took off the yellowing (cigarettes ???) without a problem.
 
Yea something like that

I was going to find the bottle. But I used blue polish (I believe on many things). I was going to double check. Works really well. Get the tarnish right off. So well in fact. YOu have to keep turning the rag around to keep going until it is clean. I also cleaned up two Japanese skill slots with it and several other things. Yes, I would take off the face plates. That stuff can get every place easy enough too. I tried a little bit on a older teac reel to reel. Shined right up. Noticed that spot for years. maybe one day. I'll take the cover off and polish it up good. It is slightly darker than the rest of my shiny shiny.

TTFN,

Josh
 
Adam, I am afraid I am going to have to confiscate that Spec 4 . It seems as tho you are no longer able to care properly for it so it must be removed from your household and placed in a home where it will receive proper care.
Please go ahead and start packing it up.......
 
Back
Top Bottom