• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thorens owners group

Speaking of my own TD 160...
I'm planning on doing most if not all of the Chadwick mods on it including damping of the motor plate with Dynamat and using gasket cork on the subchassis.
I've swapped the arm for a Rega 251 as well.
I'd like to use a record weight with the table.
I'm thinking that with the added weight of the damping material (even though it's cork) and the record weight that going to the Linn springs would be a good move.
What say the group?
 
I'm thinking that with the added weight of the damping material (even though it's cork) and the record weight that going to the Linn springs would be a good move.
What say the group?

I'd love to help, but I am simply not that advanced in my knowledge of the Thorens. If you have time could you please explain what this means, am keen to learn. Anyone? Thanks
 
I'd love to help, but I am simply not that advanced in my knowledge of the Thorens. If you have time could you please explain what this means, am keen to learn. Anyone? Thanks

I may not be the one to explain, since I'm a Thorens newbie, but I've been doing my research so I'll give it a shot:

The stock springs on the Thorens are optimized for the weight of the stock platter, subplatter and tonearm. When those components are changed--different tonearm (I'm using a Rega 251), damped subplatter (some people recommend damping with Dynamat, which adds mass), or in the case I'm asking about, using a record weight--you're changing the load on those springs. If you change it enough you need to go to a stiffer spring to keep the table performing in the way it was designed.
As I understand it, the Linn springs are quite a bit stiffer than the stock Thorens and are often recommended.
 
As I understand it, the Linn springs are quite a bit stiffer than the stock Thorens and are often recommended.

Thanks for the info :thmbsp: Well why not....give it a go. I have never touched my Thorens. I have a TD 160 Super and a TD 165. The TD 165 springs are so stiff, therefore it is not as resistant to shock (found this out when I lived on wooden floors, I am on a solid concrete slab now so much happier). The TD 160 Super is so spongey, very light springs, the wooden floor boards didn't upset that one at all but it still drove me nuts seeing it move around in any way during playing of a record (especially with the ex stomping around the house) :yikes:
 
I may not be the one to explain, since I'm a Thorens newbie, but I've been doing my research so I'll give it a shot:

The stock springs on the Thorens are optimized for the weight of the stock platter, subplatter and tonearm. When those components are changed--different tonearm (I'm using a Rega 251), damped subplatter (some people recommend damping with Dynamat, which adds mass), or in the case I'm asking about, using a record weight--you're changing the load on those springs. If you change it enough you need to go to a stiffer spring to keep the table performing in the way it was designed.
As I understand it, the Linn springs are quite a bit stiffer than the stock Thorens and are often recommended.

A lot of people add mass (damping) and still do not need to replace the stock springs.

Using dynamat on the top plate does not effect the springs/suspension. Using cork (instead of dynamat) on the subchassis is the better option so as not to impact the stock suspension.

I use a light clamp/weight (4 to 6 oz, I forget now) and it does not adversely effect the suspension. I would not go too heavy.

I have read of cases where the stock springs were simply worn and needed replacement. I also hear that the Linn springs are an upgrade but have not tried them.

Bootom line: If your stock springs are in good shape you should be able to dampen the subchassis with cork, add a light record weight, and still tune the chassis to the correct level.

cheers, Bob
 
I picked up a TD-150 with a TP-50 headshell. Only have one set of screws. Anyone know where get an assortment or at least the size so I can fit some other carts on it?
 
You have to go to Hawaii.
At least that's where the eBay seller sent my screws from.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
 
I picked up a TD-150 with a TP-50 headshell. Only have one set of screws. Anyone know where get an assortment or at least the size so I can fit some other carts on it?

2mm, I can get them locally at a specialty bolt outlet, or at local hobby shops. :thmbsp:
 
I picked up a TD-150 with a TP-50 headshell. Only have one set of screws. Anyone know where get an assortment or at least the size so I can fit some other carts on it?

I am told as per forum rules I cant put a link to these head shell screws. Sorry
 
Last edited:
I would like to join the Thorens Forum. I have just purchased a TD-124 renovated by Schopper in Switzerland. I am having it mounted in an Artisan Fidelity CLD Panzerholz plinth. I am considering using a new Ortofon TA-110 tonearm and 2M Black cartridge. Does anyone in this forum have any comments on this tonearm and cartridge combination? I would like to get the best possible sound from this system, and am certainly open to other recommendations. Thanks.
 
I would like to join the Thorens Forum. I have just purchased a TD-124 renovated by Schopper in Switzerland. I am having it mounted in an Artisan Fidelity CLD Panzerholz plinth. I am considering using a new Ortofon TA-110 tonearm and 2M Black cartridge. Does anyone in this forum have any comments on this tonearm and cartridge combination? I would like to get the best possible sound from this system, and am certainly open to other recommendations. Thanks.

You have to show some pictures of your 124 when you get it. Sounds like it's a real beauty. :thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom