• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thorens owners group

I have a thorens TD 145 that is my daily driver. In it I have a Ortofon om10. With all of you peoples experience, what would be a good alternative in a new cartridge? Thank you I love that someone finally started this forum!!
 
I have a thorens TD 145 that is my daily driver. In it I have a Ortofon om10. With all of you peoples experience, what would be a good alternative in a new cartridge? Thank you I love that someone finally started this forum!!

In what price range?
 
i just got a TD160 Mark II which is in need of a tonearm, I have WTB ad over in Bartertown and have been checking EBAY. What do you all recommend?
 
Just received my SME 3009 II Improved Tonearm (fixed headshell) I managed to buy few weeks ago. One of the cartridge tags has fallen off during shipping.I am thinking of replacing (rewire) the leads, but how difficult a job is this? It looks like oxygen has done its thing for the tags, so perhaps only changing these would be an easier and cheaper option. Any ideas/tips what to do? All suggestions welcome! Thanks!

I am also waiting for a mounting plate and Shure M97xE to arrive. So rewiring of the leads / changing the tags should be done now before mounting the arm.
 

Attachments

  • sme leads.jpg
    sme leads.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 56
I might just consider re-soldering that rather than rewiring, unless that's something you definitely want to do before mounting it.

Just received my SME 3009 II Improved Tonearm (fixed headshell) I managed to buy few weeks ago. One of the cartridge tags has fallen off during shipping.I am thinking of replacing (rewire) the leads, but how difficult a job is this? It looks like oxygen has done its thing for the tags, so perhaps only changing these would be an easier and cheaper option. Any ideas/tips what to do? All suggestions welcome! Thanks!

I am also waiting for a mounting plate and Shure M97xE to arrive. So rewiring of the leads / changing the tags should be done now before mounting the arm.
 
Just received my SME 3009 II Improved Tonearm (fixed headshell) I managed to buy few weeks ago. One of the cartridge tags has fallen off during shipping.I am thinking of replacing (rewire) the leads, but how difficult a job is this? It looks like oxygen has done its thing for the tags, so perhaps only changing these would be an easier and cheaper option. Any ideas/tips what to do? All suggestions welcome! Thanks!

I am also waiting for a mounting plate and Shure M97xE to arrive. So rewiring of the leads / changing the tags should be done now before mounting the arm.

This happened to me and I just resoldered a new connector on.

With a fixed headshell you would have to rewire the entire length of wire from the cartridge leads through the tone arm and out to the RCA connectors. This is not a beginners job. You need to be experienced working with very fine wire and soldering.

If your intent is to upgrade all of the wiring and to put some high quality RCAs on the end then go for it.

Otherwise just resolder the tag (cartridge connector) back onto the wire.

Even with that you have to be careful not to break the wire or strip too much off, there is not a lot of excess wire to work with. Been there and done that.

Bob
 
Thanks jed and bobins!

Yes, I think I will just replace the four of them with new ones. Or then just resolder the fallen one back.
Bobins what do you mean with "not to break the wire"? Any chance you could open that up a bit or just give me some basic info for soldering.
I think I will follow these instructions http://www.trans-fi.com/cartridgetagssolderinginstructions.htm. Them tags + heat shrink are available @ ebay for a fairly cheap - perhaps I will purchase these.

By the way bobins, I see you have SAS in your Shure. How much difference (the sound) does it make? This might be one final uppgrade for my set at some stage.
 
Last edited:
Thanks. Just got it today. It's in real nice condition but I will do a complete overhaul on it. I have a beautiful SME S2 to go on it.
 
P1010101_zps38248331.jpg
 
Thanks jed and bobins!

Yes, I think I will just replace the four of them with new ones. Or then just resolder the fallen one back.
Bobins what do you mean with "not to break the wire"? Any chance you could open that up a bit or just give me some basic info for soldering. I think I will follow these instructions http://www.trans-fi.com/cartridgetagssolderinginstructions.htm. Them tags + heat shrink are available @ ebay for a fairly cheap - perhaps I will purchase these.

By the way bobins, I see you have SAS in your Shure. How much difference (the sound) does it make? This might be one final uppgrade for my set at some stage.


What I mean about "not bereaking the wire "is to be very careful when stripping and then resoldering the wire to the connector tag. You do not have much excess wire to play with. You have to strip away some insulation and then re-solder the wire. In turn, the connector has to reach the cartridge leads. When I repaired mine there was no room for error or else the lead would not be long enough to fully slide on the cartridge pin. Be careful about this.

The SAS is a wonderful upgrade fo the Shure. Most people think it is the top of the line for it.

I did not play my Shure V15-III with stock stylus for more than maybe two songs. It was a used item and I did not how old the stylus was and I did not want to chance my records on an bad stylus. I bought the SAS right away and have been very happy with it.

I doubt the SAS will be your "final upgrade". We Thorens owners tend to be tweakers. I am always learning about new tweaks to improve this deck. It is fantastic. :D

good luck, Bob
 
Back
Top Bottom