• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Top three vintage power amps, submit your votes

For me, the best practical is simple:

McIntosh
Crown
Bryston

All 3 sound great, are well made, are supported very well even when older. And are nice to own even when elderly. All 3 also are conservatively engineered, never have stressed component parts in their design, and live lives of ease under normal use. All 3 also sound great. All are also among the most reliable ever made.
 
Northrop AN/ALQ135. Its vintage and kicked ass. And.. They had tubes in them . Travelling wave tubes.
full-17362-55566-alq135.jpg

combat proven.
 
Last edited:
Threshold SA-1's
Marantz Model 9's
Krell KSA-250

(I have to give a honorable mention to the McIntosh 275)
 
Threshold SA-1's
Marantz Model 9's
Krell KSA-250

(I have to give a honorable mention to the McIntosh 275)

Good list. I will just switch two of them up :-) The Marantz Model 9 is tubes is it not?
Krell KSA-250/MDA-500
Threshold SA-1
Jeff Rowland Model 7
 
:) The Marantz Model 9 is tubes is it not?

You are correct sir. ;)

I read the thread title as "top three vintage power amps" and forgot I was in the "Solid State" forum. :crazy:

I will be watching you should you ever mention the Rowland 7 in the Tube Forum. :):)
 
You are correct sir. ;)

I read the thread title as "top three vintage power amps" and forgot I was in the "Solid State" forum. :crazy:

I will be watching you should you ever mention the Rowland 7 in the Tube Forum. :):)

Lol, we are all human, so I am sure you will find me out somewhere...
 
Dunlap Clarke Dreadnought 1000

Reviving a dead thread to test out photo linking from my Google Photos repository. Google isn't making embedding images easy any more.

This amp ( if the pic actually showed up) is still on my GET TO ONE DAY. list. I just have a few others in queue first.

nQlYfemxZWOXTGqtOiq3lsxiP_tRwDLMC0eMHZ-70D_h6CNPTVAtYYoBsjSPMhkQlfKisi8WSMpb7Co8w-waSphIEtTK2xtNRK_rXydBOIoIV-RaUKtIt6QydW0zqonFxqQpVWfOEyU=w2400
 
Back
Top Bottom