• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Topping D50

I used the 15% discount on Ebay to get mine from a vendor there. It was the fastest shipment out of China that I had ever received.
I use one of these LPS's: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOLA-HEVI-...311873?hash=item48aa360381:g:-ugAAOSwwlZatFMl

I also didn't hear a difference when using my low-noise LPS compared to an Apple SMPS.

Interestingly for me was the difference in sound between the optical and coaxial inputs. I heard less treble with the coaxial input. I preferred the optical input.
 
Thought I'd share, so y'all can Enjoy:

I ordered the D50 via Aliexpress vendor Ivy Zang (Bright Audio) (15% discount) about a week ago. Estimated shipping date was around 4/15.
Just got an email from Zang saying:
"Please kind note it's a pre-sale product, because some componects are shortage, so manufactor offed the delivery date to 20th April, we had remark about this situation in the product detail."....
Below THAT there was a note from Aliexpress:
"With AliExpress' Buyer Protection System, payments are only released to sellers once you confirm satisfactory delivery. Any payment made that bypasses AliExpress is not protected by us."
That never showed up when I was shopping, though I may have missed it in the fine print...the website is so cluttered.
Zang/Bright Audio processed my PayPal payment (and associated CC) 4-5 days after I placed the order.

So? Regardless of whether or not I receive the product, or in a timely manner, this will be my first and LAST purchase via Aliexpress or Zang.
These guys are supposed to be the 'amazon' of the far east? NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.
Caveat Emptor, per usual.
 
I don't care for AliExpress or Alibaba (the wholesale arm from which AliExpress sprang). I've only purchased small dollar items there, like $10 or less. It's tempting, but given the minimal pricing difference as of late, it is often not much more to buy it through better channels here in the US.

I don't need or want a D50 at the moment, but it is on my short list. I'm anxious to see some listening reviews in the weeks ahead. :)
 
I've had great results from massdrop including purchases of the the D30 and an excellent pair of headphones. I now get quick notifications of their drops and will post here when the D50 is available again. MD also maintains a forum where products are often discussed.
 
Can anyone compare it to the D30, just for sound quality, I don't need native dsd support..
 
Amir might be a guru tech, but I don't think he has great ear, which is fine, because there are too much people babbling around about how good that sounds, with no measurement at all.
If his testing are correct we are really lucky especially for the snake oil part of audio industry like cables, converters etc.
It's a pity that a lot of money goes to the charlatans, instead of true audio engineers, those who make new designs and not plain cables..
I really like the D30, and I'm afraid that the Sabre dacs might be too analytical for my liking..
 
Last edited:
Anyone know where I can download a user manual? I can't find one on Topping's website. I'm trying to get into the settings screen.
 
I’m having a hard time getting one from Hong Kong. Seller will not respond with a tracking number ever though this item was ordered almost two weeks ago.
 
Anyone know where I can download a user manual? I can't find one on Topping's website. I'm trying to get into the settings screen.
I found the manual that came with my DAC. A quick press on the power button brings you to the settings.
 
Still haven’t got my D50. Asked eBay to credit my paypal account today. Never got a credible tracking number. Guess I’ll try something else.
 
I have one on order through ebay. I'll try and stop by and post my thoughts.

If someone is going by just measurements they shouldn't even be bothering with these. They should be satisfied with any number of perfectly functional DACs you can get for $25 on Amazon. I believe Amir reviewed one himself that by the measurements should be just as good. Unless of course you believe that the negligible differences would be audible. Or that higher sampling rates than 16/44 are audibly superior to 16/44. Certainly not worth getting for DSD because that would imply very real audible differences. Certainly by the measurements once you go below a certain THD and jitter, any variability in subjective perception is likely placebo or if real certainly isn't justified by paying 10x more.
 
I have one on order through ebay. I'll try and stop by and post my thoughts.

If someone is going by just measurements they shouldn't even be bothering with these. They should be satisfied with any number of perfectly functional DACs you can get for $25 on Amazon. I believe Amir reviewed one himself that by the measurements should be just as good. Unless of course you believe that the negligible differences would be audible. Or that higher sampling rates than 16/44 are audibly superior to 16/44. Certainly not worth getting for DSD because that would imply very real audible differences. Certainly by the measurements once you go below a certain THD and jitter, any variability in subjective perception is likely placebo or if real certainly isn't justified by paying 10x more.

My question is why would you order a D50 if you feel this way?
 
I get it, Amir's test procedures are assumed to be sufficient to test of Schiit multibit output and upon receipt of the Topping DACs, folk like the sound.

The DX7s is available still on Massdrop, thinking about pulling trigger this week.

I've read echoed responses on Amir's 'all science, no listen' deus ex machina dude ranch. My question there has been echoed elsewhere = 'How can it be called science if perceived value and preference are based, at least in part, on individual perspective?' Maybe the disparity here lays in the differentiation made between the terms, pure and applied science. Maybe that's dumb, idk. I'm not mathy. I find it to be convenient but often, less than descriptive.

Q-
Has anyone heads-up tested any of the Topping DACs, DX7(s), D30 against other DACs? I'd sure like to hear about a heads up test against Amir's favorite coquelicot coiffed, significant other's offspring- los niño se llama Bimby y Gimby..
 
I ordered one via ebay on 3/29 and got the notice that it wouldn't ship until 4/20, just like everyone else. Got a few power supplies to try out - linear and switched. Looking forward to seeing what this little DAC does compared to some more expensive units that have been in my system lately.
 
So, I got a tracking number that says the D50 is in Louisville, however I haven’t seen anything with my name or address on it. Paypal’s Attitude was to just be patient.
 
Back
Top Bottom