• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Traveling to New England. Looking for advise.

Bucky Badger

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hey Boys and Girls,
My wife and I are finally taking a real vacation, (10/12/14-10/19/14) after so many years and I could use some advise. We are starting off in Boston and driving up to the White Mountains in New Hampshire. From there we are headed over to Acadia Nat. Park in Maine and then down the coast to Boston. We have rented a small RV and are really looking forward to all the fall colors AND all the great seafood.
So, where should we go for the best fall color watching? Is there a cool little town that shouldn't be missed?? A secret backroad maybe??? AND where should we go for the best Lobster and seafood?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Do you have a secret spot to get Lobster/shellfish? We are kinda on a budget so no 5 star restaurants for us. Just some cool hole in the wall place that serves the very best seafood, and beer, would be great. It could be a bar or roadhouse or ???
Thanks for your help and suggestions.
 
Register to hide this ad
Being from the Canadian prairies smak dab in the middle of the continent I can't help you. But I wish you safe travels, good times, and fond memories on your vacation.

The only advice I will give is don't be afraid to ask the locals, they often know best. Some locals are idiots though. I have been told to turn at the Red Barn that I later learned burned down 25 yrs ago.

Have fun.
 
Thanks a lot noise gate for the well wishes. We will be asking the locals for sure but I know there are a few locals on AK as well.
Thanks Again.

ps. I will try to only ask the locals that look smart.
 
Keep a eye on where the peak foliage is. The White Mtns may be past by the time you arrive as the further north you travel the earlier it occurs. Consider traveling Interstate 91 in Vt which follows the Connecticut River Valley between. VT and NH. Hanover NH where Dartmouth is an interesting area.
 
If I shut my eyes, I can see these straight through my back window! :D

Lynn Woods

Salem Woods

Took a lady from Ontario one time to see what all the 'fuss' was about with those NE witches - but we got a bit bored and pushed on down to Cape Cod.

Marblehead had some great restaurants tho' - and if you go into Boston, Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market might be worth checking out.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers, og
 
Cool and thanks brian222, DT and oldgringo. Good suggestions.
We will be driving down hwy 1 from Acadia along the coast if that helps anyone.
I have been looking at this map DT and hope we don't miss to much. As the time gets closer I might have to update our trip to include as much color as possible. Guess the temps in the area will determine that.

http://www.yankeefoliage.com/peak-foliage-forecast-map/

Thanks again for your suggestions you guys. This is exciting.
 
Last edited:
Going to the White Mntns in 2 weeks. I love the lake area just to the south, especially around Lake Winnipesaukee. As you might be slightly late for color up North, also check out areas near Wolfboro near the lake(s).

Check out this site for foliage in the White Mntns:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...SXtf1whLuAQ_VY-wQ&sig2=ueRuCOgbKy9UZP89TdBG9Q

Here are the lakes of NH:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...VOVVgEnTMywqq9DYw&sig2=uGv-Mogj-VLslOtEgV2kDA

When going up North, drive the Kancamagus Rte 112 from Lincoln to Conway, though Conway proper is touristy and has traffic. Check out the Mt. Washington Hotel and surrounding area on Rte. 302. I also love Jackson and that area. Heck, I love it all!

https://www.google.com/search?q=mt+...a=X&ei=2nUbVL_RCZSOsQTl34KgBQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg
 
Awesome Valveglow. Thanks for the links. I will look them over as well as your suggested route. We would like to stay clear of where everyone else is if possible.
 
It's on the other side of the state, but Quechee gorge in VT is a well known (and for good reason) hotspot for "leaf peepers"
http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/quechee.htm
Woodstock and Windsor VT are also great places to visit -- all just across the river (Connecticut River, that is) from western NH -- coupla hours from Portsmouth, NH via NH 101 and I-89.

On the coast - be sure to visit Plum Island National Wildlife Reserve and/or the Mass Audubon site at Joppa Flats (both in Newburyport, MA). Stop by Joppa Flats on a Tuesday morning and say hello to my wife, who volunteers there on Tuesdays :-)
 
Wow, this is going to be some vacation.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. We will def. be listening to you all when it comes to places to 'peep' and eat. I know it will probably be a mad house with all the tourist's and all but with your help we might be able to sneak away and find a few spots where it won't be to crowded.
I will check out Becky's Diner on DD&D.
(Thanks for the link Vg and DT)
 
Last edited:
Do your leafpeeping during the week and early in the day if at all possible; you'll be fine. Weekends in the hot spots will be insane if you're close to peak (ca. Columbus Day weekend).

Have you been... informed... about driving in the general vicinity of Boston? ;-)
It's a little different than typical West Coast driving...
 
My brother lives in Worcester and he will pick us up from the airport. Then he will take us to get the RV and off we go. We won't be driving in Boston at all really. (and from what I have been told that's a GOOD thing). I mean a wicked good thing.
 
Last edited:
The colors move fast. The tops of the mountains are already beginning to show some very visible changes already. Plenty of outliers already in full swing around here. By that time it is just about peak or a little past here in southern VT. Vermont is considered by many to have the best Fall colors just about anywhere. People come from all over the world to see them.

Have a great trip.
 
We've got leaves changing in the CT River "Upper Valley" -- still a couple of weeks to peak, I'm sure.

The rule of thumb in Northern MA (where we used to live) was the peak was usually pretty darned close to Columbus Day (even though Columbus day moves around... how do they do that?) ;-)

As a semi-cogent aside, we did indeed have frost here last night. 35 degrees F when I took the recycling out early this morning.

DSC_0099 by mhardy6647, on Flickr


-- frost all gone by the time I took this :-P --
 
Last edited:
Spent a long weekend in the Wells/Kennebunkport Maine area this summer. Beautiful there. We ate at the Maine Diner in Wells which was also featured on triple D. A little touristy but you should be fine in Oct. Food was awesome.

http://www.mainediner.com/

No affil of course.
 
Back
Top Bottom