• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Troubleshooting CD Players

Thank you dr.audio. I noticed a place where I think during handling a piece might have come off and can’t find it. But seems this is some kind of switch. I tried taking it out and manually engaging it but no effect. Could this be the switch. It’s the lower end of the pic View attachment 3578538
There is a switch you can see through a rectangular window in the metal, just to the right of the disc table. That's the home switch. Those micro switches go bad all the time. It looks like the actuator broke off.
 
There is a switch you can see through a rectangular window in the metal, just to the right of the disc table. That's the home switch. Those micro switches go bad all the time. It looks like the actuator broke off.
You are spot on. I did take that pcb out and tried activating while in operation. No use but the switch might be gone anyway. Now trying to find the same part is a nightmare. If I get to know which Teac transport this one that Krell used, I will hunt for a donor unit. Thanks again Dr.Audio.
 
Help! I own a Yamaha CD-S300. A few weeks ago, it stopped playing before the end of a CD. I ejected the CD, re-inserted it, and it played for 30 seconds or so and quit. Repeat several times. Walked away. Tried again the next day. The disc drawer operates, but the display says NO DISC. The drawer seemed to hesitate before opening or closing.

Read most of this thread. Following the t'shooting tips in the first few posts, things looked OK, but I never saw visible light from the laser. Local shop didn't want to work on it, as they said they couldn't get parts.

Called Yamaha, had a helpful fella on the phone. The whole transport, including the sled and laser was available for $56. I figured it was worth a gamble.

The new transport operates snappier. But I'm still getting NO DISC on the display and no visible laser. The disc raises into position and spins. The sled seems to check position and return to home as it should. The laser goes up and down. But still no visible laser and NO DISC on the display.

I'm stumped and in a bit over my head. Suggestions? New player time?
Thanks!
 
Help! I own a Yamaha CD-S300. A few weeks ago, it stopped playing before the end of a CD. I ejected the CD, re-inserted it, and it played for 30 seconds or so and quit. Repeat several times. Walked away. Tried again the next day. The disc drawer operates, but the display says NO DISC. The drawer seemed to hesitate before opening or closing.

Read most of this thread. Following the t'shooting tips in the first few posts, things looked OK, but I never saw visible light from the laser. Local shop didn't want to work on it, as they said they couldn't get parts.

Called Yamaha, had a helpful fella on the phone. The whole transport, including the sled and laser was available for $56. I figured it was worth a gamble.

The new transport operates snappier. But I'm still getting NO DISC on the display and no visible laser. The disc raises into position and spins. The sled seems to check position and return to home as it should. The laser goes up and down. But still no visible laser and NO DISC on the display.

I'm stumped and in a bit over my head. Suggestions? New player time?
Thanks!
There is probably a solder blob on the laser PCB that is there to protect against static discharge. You must remove it. Use de-soldering braid.
 
You are spot on. I did take that pcb out and tried activating while in operation. No use but the switch might be gone anyway. Now trying to find the same part is a nightmare. If I get to know which Teac transport this one that Krell used, I will hunt for a donor unit. Thanks again Dr.Audio.
I would take a good photo of the switch using a real camera in Macro mode and plug it into Google Search. Teac didn't make that switch, some other company did. I couldn't find anything at Digikey.
 
Help! I own a Yamaha CD-S300. A few weeks ago, it stopped playing before the end of a CD. I ejected the CD, re-inserted it, and it played for 30 seconds or so and quit. Repeat several times. Walked away. Tried again the next day. The disc drawer operates, but the display says NO DISC. The drawer seemed to hesitate before opening or closing.

Read most of this thread. Following the t'shooting tips in the first few posts, things looked OK, but I never saw visible light from the laser. Local shop didn't want to work on it, as they said they couldn't get parts.

Called Yamaha, had a helpful fella on the phone. The whole transport, including the sled and laser was available for $56. I figured it was worth a gamble.

The new transport operates snappier. But I'm still getting NO DISC on the display and no visible laser. The disc raises into position and spins. The sled seems to check position and return to home as it should. The laser goes up and down. But still no visible laser and NO DISC on the display.

I'm stumped and in a bit over my head. Suggestions? New player time?
Thanks!
 
Help! I own a Yamaha CD-S300. A few weeks ago, it stopped playing before the end of a CD. I ejected the CD, re-inserted it, and it played for 30 seconds or so and quit. Repeat several times. Walked away. Tried again the next day. The disc drawer operates, but the display says NO DISC. The drawer seemed to hesitate before opening or closing......


.....The new transport operates snappier. But I'm still getting NO DISC on the display and no visible laser. The disc raises into position and spins. The sled seems to check position and return to home as it should. The laser goes up and down. But still no visible laser and NO DISC on the display.

There is probably a solder blob on the laser PCB that is there to protect against static discharge. You must remove it. Use de-soldering braid.

Thanks for the reply, doc. And, sorry about the double post. I don't know how that happened.
The player worked fine for nine years. Knowing that, is the solder blob still a possibility?
Is the laser pcb part of the transport assembly? Or plugged into the chassis?
 
I would take a good photo of the switch using a real camera in Macro mode and plug it into Google Search. Teac didn't make that switch, some other company did. I couldn't find anything at Digikey.
Thank you. I have scanned lot of google images for teac transports and no luck. I even tried taking the switch out and shorting it to activate it but again nothing happens. Will do some more digging but as you rightly pointed out its sure something to do with home position switch.
 
Now I realize that there are 2 photos, before and after. I think those tabs were kludged on by Sony at the factory. Not very effective. Replace the chips and glue on new heat sinks.
Just to inform that I changed both ICs and install new bigger heatsink. ( Over original copper Sony heatsink.)
Unfortunately , no results. behavior is as before, After 40-45 minutes start malfunctioning. Heat sink is so hot I can not hold it for more of 2 seconds.
I doubt that some other is reason why IC overheats so much ( not bad IC)
 

Attachments

  • Heat sink.jpg
    Heat sink.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 8
Is voltage at those ICs correct? A bad voltage regulator will over-volt and overheat anything downstream.

I went through this with my Pioneer receiver- but there the regulator got so hot it lifted its pads off the board…
 
Just to inform that I changed both ICs and install new bigger heatsink. ( Over original copper Sony heatsink.)
Unfortunately , no results. behavior is as before, After 40-45 minutes start malfunctioning. Heat sink is so hot I can not hold it for more of 2 seconds.
I doubt that some other is reason why IC overheats so much ( not bad IC)
There may be some problem in the unit where a component is drawing too much current.
Check the voltage on the input and output of the regulator, If this was on my bench I would measure the current from the output of the regulator as well. You might have to cut a trace and solder in a 1 Ohm resistor and measure the voltage drop across the resistor, which will be equal to the current. But if the output voltage of the regulator is below the rated regulation voltage, you know something is drawing too much current.
 
  • Like
Reactions: j!m
I found this on main PCB near ICs for tracking
rails.jpg
Mesuring gives +/-13.8V
My CD is 220V model and now in my country voltage is 240V AC (244 V at my home)
Maybe that is the reason.
Power supply is unregulated rectification.
shema.JPG
Any sugestion to stabilise this voltage to +/-10V?
 
Another possible option: Replace the exposed jumpers with a dropping resistor (once the full load amperage is determined) or install 10V zeener diodes here.
 
@BrankoZ
Using the SM may be helpful for the voltage issue.

View attachment 3588479
Yes indeed, but SM manual must be appropriate for particular model.
Yeah!

If you have a voltage selector, select 240 rather than 220!
No voltage selector . Fixed 220V
back.jpg
I am deciding between two possibilities:
1 APC Line-R 1200
2 Voltage regulators based on LM7810 and LM7910

First is universal, more expensive but keeps player unchanged.
Second needs some soldering and packaging effort but changes player.
 
Another possible option: Replace the exposed jumpers with a dropping resistor (once the full load amperage is determined) or install 10V zeener diodes here.
Well, you need a series resistor to limit current through the Zener.
 
You think it'd draw that much?

As to the unit- maybe there is a way inside to alter the transformer taps used to simulate the switch for changing voltage in. Some use completely different transformers for the multiple tap option and others use one across the board and select the taps they need for a specific market.
 
Back
Top Bottom