• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Turntable advise

Many of those reviewers may be those new to vinyl who may be buying their first (entry level) table and don't know any better.

I think you mean you are looking for a semi-automatic. I've never heard of a table that just shuts off without returning the tonearm to its rest. There are few brand new tables out there that are auto or semi-auto, but they are not highly regarded.

I would either upgrade the cart on your present table if you think that will help, or buy another vintage semi-auto table. Your present table is a P-mount which might limit your cart choices. The used Technics direct drive S-arm tables are solid and highly regarded. Many are auto or semi-auto. I recently picked up a SL-D2 semi-auto table on the local CL and I like it a lot. My previous experience with turntables goes back over 40 years, but I've been mostly a straight arm belt drive or idler drive owner. The only other direct drive I have also has a straight arm.

Actually, my vintage Garrard DD75 does this (or supposed to do this). Often it will shut off (stop spinning) at the end of the record. Once in awhile the tone arm will lift off of the record. It doesn't return the arm to rest, but it stops the platter from spinning and it cues the arm off of the record. It is a nice feature for a manual turntable.
 
Actually, my vintage Garrard DD75 does this (or supposed to do this) Often it will shut off (stop spinning) at the end of the record. Once in awhile the tone arm will lift off of the record. It is a nice feature for a manual turntable.

I'm pretty sure that if it stops on purpose, that the tonearm is supposed to at least lift up first. I can't imagine how using the stylus to drag the record to a stop can do any good to the record or the stylus.
There are lift-up devices that can be purchased and added to a manual table that will cause the tonearm to lift off of the record at the end, but this will not keep the platter from spinning.
 
I'm pretty sure that if it stops on purpose, that the tonearm is supposed to at least lift up first. I can't imagine how using the stylus to drag the record to a stop can do any good to the record or the stylus.
There are lift-up devices that can be purchased and added to a manual table that will cause the tonearm to lift off of the record at the end, but this will not keep the platter from spinning.
Garrard was quite ahead of themselves during the mid seventies in terms of their turntables. There is a photoelectric eye connected to the tonearm gear under the platter of DD75 that detects when the tonearm is at the end of the record. This is an amazing feature that automatically shuts the platter from rotation everytime. Since my turntable is 40 years old, it will not lift the tonearm off the record everytime (as a matter of fact, the arm lifted off the record last night...I was overjoyed, but it only did it once). Garrard happens to be one of my personal favorites with vintage turntables, along with Dual.
 
I'm tempted to say stick with the Technics SL-B500, it looks like a great workhorse of a table. I used an SL-B100 for years and found it excellent. Even with a Pmount cartridge, you can upgrade and get an improved sound.
 
I'm tempted to say stick with the Technics SL-B500, it looks like a great workhorse of a table. I used an SL-B100 for years and found it excellent. Even with a Pmount cartridge, you can upgrade and get an improved sound.
I am leaning in that direction. Thanks
 
So I am going to bring the project back today. I was never in love with the Beatles artwork all over it. I do love the Beatles but the Beatles inspired turntable seems a little too much. Maybe they are so cheap because they can’t get rid of them.

Now the question is do I spend a couple a hundred on a new upgraded cart/stylus for the sl-b500. Is it worth that investment.
 
Your cartridge will only be as good as your turntable. Evaluate how good your unit is. You could also plan to put the new cartridge in your future turntable, but that will involve some planning. You would need to know what table you would go with later.
 
Darren I did an AK Google search and a quick check of Vinyl Engine re the SL-B500 and although Technics was best known for their direct drive tables their belt drives were of the same level of build quality which was quite high even for the lower end models. To mfg a fully auto stacking table today would be no small feat and would cost a bundle to match the build quality of your vintage SL-B500. About the only maintenance your table will require is a new belt costing about $10, maybe clean the controls with on the front panel with Deoxit another $10 and add a couple drops of either Technics motor oil or sewing machine oil to the spindle/motor every 2,000 hours for $5. The stylus on the cartridge might be dirty/gunked up but have low hours and otherwise in good shape, Audio Technica stylus cleaning fluid runs around $20 and should be a lifetime supply. All this minor maintenance is simple easy to do and should keep the SL-B500 running till your great grand kids are ready to use it 50 years from now. If the SL-B500 is in good shape I'm sure there is a good market for it if you decide to move up to a better vintage table, check Ebay prices for sold SL-B500. You should be getting some good recommendations for replacement stylus if you need one.
 
Hello all
So here’s where I stand wit my turntable search. I did take the pro-ject back. I still have the technics sl-b500 which works perfectly.... but I’m not opposed to the idea of spending so money maybe $200 to upgrade the cart/stylus. And just keep it.

The second option is the Denon DP-300f that I got from bestbuy on sale 100 off. I could keep that and sell the technics on eBay to pay for any upgrade the Denon might need.

3rd option get a different new turntable all together I can muster up about 700 to a grand if I go that way

I do realize that buying vintage turntables is a better idea I just don’t feel like it’s a good option for me at this point in my life. I’m not going to be fixing and moding it up. I just want to plug in and go.

So those are the options at this point. Any suggestions on new brands and models would be helpful. I am also curious about the q up has anyone used that and if it works well. I really don’t want a full manual but I could do it with that.

Thanks in advance,

Darren
 
I’m considering jumping on a pro-ject 1xpression Carbon classic with Ortofon 2m silver. I think I can get it for about 55-60 percent off retail because it is a demo model. At that price I seems like a no-brainer.
 
IMO, stay away from Best Buy. While the Denon isn't junk, just not a good choice for the funds spent.
Again, look for a nice Technics, those suckers are built like tanks! Even the lower level ones.
 
If it has to be new, then I advise you to stick to the brands: Audio Technica, Technics, Onkyo, Teac, Thorens, etc., as long as the price point makes sense. Problem is, that you will need to spend to get quality. Go slow and choose wisely.
 
If it has to be new, then I advise you to stick to the brands: Audio Technica, Technics, Onkyo, Teac, Thorens, etc., as long as the price point makes sense. Problem is, that you will need to spend to get quality. Go slow and choose wisely.


Wise advice.
 
I’m still happy with the Rega Planar 3 that I bought new in ‘87. I’d recommend a low-mileage used one (either Planar 2 or 3) to anyone. They’re a time proven, simple minimalist table that isn’t fussy about setup, and can sound really impressive with some mods. Mine has been through four cartridges in 30 years (1 MM and 3 MC’s), and everything has sounded good on it. I have several other tables as well, but the Rega is a faithful old friend. ^_^
 
I would go with the Technics as well. I've had mine since 1981 and is in perfect working condition. I recently took the platter off and oiled the spindle and had a new cartridge mounted to the original removable head shell and it sound fantastic. The table is 37 years old and works perfect. I take very good care of my equipment and its in pristine condition , however , you gotta give Technics an applause for such good build quality. You all will probably be amazed to hear that even the dust cover hinges are in perfect shape. I Love Technics tables and have owned 2 now.
 
Darren8 since you are located in Conn. you shouldn't have much of a problem finding a vintage Technics table or another Japanese brand of equal quality on Craigslist or from an AK member if you sign up for Barter Town. If you read the many threads/posts re the problems with Project tables it's a no brainer to steer clear of them no matter how much they have been discounted.
 
I have the option to grab a Denon DP-dj-151. Anyone familiar with this tt. What are your thoughts. Is it better than the dp-300f. I know you can’t really compare automatic to fully manual but any thoughts would be helpful.

Darren
 
Not bad; Its a knock-off of the Technics DD-1200. This is a very popular design that a few makers have decided to copy. Denon is an established name so that's half of your battle right there. It is fair to compare specs; Compare the specifications such as Rumble, wow and flutter to that of the Technics. Look at one or two other manufacturers that are using (stealing lol) Technics design such as Audio Technica, Sony, even Crosley has their 1200 knock off version. Its safe to say to leave your comparison to Denon, Sony and Audio Technica against the original 1200. A good pic IMO.
 
On second thought, see if you can find a new or recent Technics belt drive auto, semi auto or manual table (depending on the type you want). 1200 prices are way out there, but a belt drive Technics could be reachable if you can find a mint or near new example (near new might still be a few years old depending on when Technics closed shop on TTs....not sure if they are still manufacturing TTs).
 
Back
Top Bottom