• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Turntable Stand

I do not have the luxury of having all the woodworking tools that I would want or need. I have a large 2 car garage and the space available for tools is limited to a cut-off saw, a very small table saw, a small drill press and a skill saw. My table's components were cut using a skill saw. Clamping straight edges and cutting. The entire stand was screwed together using the Kreig jig joinery method, no glue was used. Glue often times renders wood to a single end purpose. I often reuse wood if a project outlives its usefulness or requires a change to meet new needs. All joints are butt joints.

Most of the projects that I make are from repurposed wood. Finding the coffee table was a "gift" to me, so I treat each piece like its a treasure, nothing can go to waste. I've made wood ends for my Marantz 240 amp with left-overs, incense holders, even coasters from the remnants.

View attachment 2111272

View attachment 2111273

My TT table is very strong and stable. There have been some cross-bracing added since the photo was taken. I've also stopped using varnish. I think its bad for me to breathe, bad for the environment, and takes some of the beauty of the wood away as it is not its natural state. I still do use tong oil.

Very nice design and implementation, looks very clean and very well done....

VR
Andy
 
BF8F79ED-0EC8-4469-9764-825381189CB6.jpeg 3C2AAB44-B177-4558-BB1C-8016C3793B34.jpeg FDB34065-725C-47C3-B6F0-F349CC779CA6.jpeg 40156EC3-F1EC-4755-AB31-435C3008B2C3.jpeg
On my monitor, it sure looks like it is made up of a single board, not 3 pieces glued together. All joinery is basically simple. The devil is in the details.

Yes it’s my conjecture, on how to build this from a production standpoint....

Not seeing that it’s made from multiple boards is just good glue joints :cool:

The photo resolution doesn’t lend itself to draw a positive conclusion. However Black Walnut in boards that wide are rare and extremely expensive. Some will even cut wide boards apart and glue them back together to achieve their goals.

Have a couple boards in my shop that are that wide, they are very old and I’m saving them for a special project(s) just don’t know what that project is;)

My shop is full of woodworking machines, a lifetime hobby, however my preferred method of working today is with non-power handtools,

Will differ with you on the last point—In my experience not all joinery is simple, skill, experience and lots of practice are required.....

Have made several versions of turntable stands, here’s one that’s and end table type....each case underneath is a simple mitered box with feet.

86F35D45-A298-4310-AC17-1A45FA9FE05B.jpeg
 
Very nice design and implementation, looks very clean and very well done....

VR
Andy

Thanks Andy. As I can see, I have some competition that beat my attempts with no problem. I wish I had their skills. I'm almost a hammer and nails guy.
 
You have a very nice shop Andy. I'm jealous. How long did it take to build your split top roubo? What finish is on the top? This was taken when I finished flattening my top.
37611952_679456482389817_853606303195463680_o.jpg
 
Dug this out, not in use now but just to show what you can build with zero ability. I thought it was oak but clearly it is not, could be MDF? Heavy and hard.

Also years ago I bought a pair of really nice cutting boards from Ikea, they still sell them and planned to make amp stands in the same fashion as this.

All I had was a drill. I noticed I put rubber O rings on the lag bolts as well. And yes one leg is tweaked now, it got manhandled in our move but can be fixed easy enough if I want to use again. Had a Thorens TD 150II on it.
View attachment 2110756



You could go "Hog Wild" and take dfunghi's application to the next level, ending up with a whole new gear stand, tailored to your existing space allotment.

Using the above basic design, I used 3/4" threaded rods/nuts, and tore apart an antique table (oak). I then cut the leaves in such a way to end up with 18" (depth) boards, and with 5 levels; 4' wide.

The most difficult job was to set up a "jig" by which you can accurately bore the holes for the rods. The drilling has to be bang on for the holes!

The tear down can be done by you, and/or, you could farm out the rest. Final assembly could be done by you as well.

Just taking this idea one step further.

Q
 
You have a very nice shop Andy. I'm jealous. How long did it take to build your split top roubo? What finish is on the top? This was taken when I finished flattening my top.
37611952_679456482389817_853606303195463680_o.jpg

Apologies to the OP for diving into the woodworking aspects of such a project, but obviously there are many here that are capable/willing to lend you a hand, including myself.

Kim: Hey thanks, nice bench you have also, and an outstanding tail vise....

My bench is 10 feet long by 6 inches thick, weighs about 1000 pounds, the tops come off for portability ;) Constructed from reclaimed wood taken out of our farmhouse.

Did the whole thing with handtools, no power tools, and it took me a couple of years to complete, but I’m severely disabled, wounded in Iraq, so the time is skewed :cool:

So the finish is actually just walnut oil, the wood old growth long leaf pine, the old timers call it pumpkin pine.



Best Regards,
Andy
 
View attachment 2111546 View attachment 2111572 View attachment 2111574 View attachment 2111577

Yes it’s my conjecture, on how to build this from a production standpoint....

Not seeing that it’s made from multiple boards is just good glue joints :cool:

The photo resolution doesn’t lend itself to draw a positive conclusion. However Black Walnut in boards that wide are rare and extremely expensive. Some will even cut wide boards apart and glue them back together to achieve their goals.

Have a couple boards in my shop that are that wide, they are very old and I’m saving them for a special project(s) just don’t know what that project is;)

My shop is full of woodworking machines, a lifetime hobby, however my preferred method of working today is with non-power handtools,

Will differ with you on the last point—In my experience not all joinery is simple, skill, experience and lots of practice are required.....

Have made several versions of turntable stands, here’s one that’s and end table type....each case underneath is a simple mitered box with feet.

View attachment 2111587

Your shop bench is nicer than most of the furniture in my house. Nice.
 
Back
Top Bottom