• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

tweaking an SL-D3

gearhead

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've got a Technics SL-D3 I bought new in the '80s.
It's got an Empire TC 40 cartridge on it.
Can this be a decent turntable, or should I save for something better?
It's basically an SL-D2 with repeat functions.
 
Register to hide this ad
I've got an SL-D3 in the play stack right now and also have an Empire 400TC cartridge in my pickup rotation. They both sound fine. How old is the stylus on your Empire? It's not a super douper table, but it does fine work and sounds good to my old ears. I'd keep it, but keep an eye out for move-ups knowing that you don't have to, just want to (someday).
 
Get a new stylus. Turntableneedles.com has them as 237-DET (400TC) or 242-DEX (TC40) for very little payola. Is yours truly the TC40, as one of my Empires is a 400TC? Both are 0.2 x 0.7 mil elliptical.
 
I agree with Scorp. I have the Empire 500ID, in the same family and it is a great sounding cart--definitely worth getting a replacement stylus--and that's probably your best tweak for this turntable. Then enjoy! :music:
 
Not to disagree with anyones opinion. But I've found that the best tweak using those Empires is to increase the capacitance to around 400pf it, to my ears gives those a better balanced sound and better bass.
Problem is trying to find a way to increase capacitance on a table such as yours.:thmbsp:
 
stanton, couldn't you just hang Xpf across sig to gnd at the preamp input givint the full capacitance of the cart/arm/cable plus an extra C to get 400pf?
 
It says TC 40 on the side of the cart.
turntableneedles.com seems to be out of the 242-DEXies.
 
Thanks. TC40. I have an Empire OP-5, OP-4, 400TC and E-20 and they all sound great with a new stylus. There are some other places on the net that sell stylus, so I'd just find a suitable replacement. That's step #1. Turntableneedles.com lists a 241-D7 substitute which is a .7 mil conical tip (not as prized as the ellipticals) but if you don't listen to vinyl intimately, it should serve you well. You might try the 4-241-DE as they state they are interchangeable.
 
I can't find a stylus to save my butt.
I'll bet I googled for close to an hour looking for any variation that would land on something-TC 40, 242 DEX, Empire stylus, etc, etc.
Anybody got any links to your favorite turntable internet store?
 
Go back to turntableneedles.com and search again for TC40. Go down to the bottom of the page. You'll see 12 other styli there. Any one of those will fit the cartridge--they were interchangeable.
 
Back
Top Bottom