• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vertical Turntable?

So with the arm falling towards the center due to gravity AND rotational forces, its ironic I don't immediately see an antiskate adjustment anywhere!
 
And, with so much "prior art" it would seem they could patent much of anything on the devise. So IF it could be made to work well, and showed signs of lasting popularity, real manufacturing companies could jump in to eat this start-ups lunch.
 
So with the arm falling towards the center due to gravity AND rotational forces, its ironic I don't immediately see an antiskate adjustment anywhere!
Well, it kinda wouldn't because how the weight is positioned at the bottom. It actually needs more skating force.
 
What weren't they thinking? It's been so done, done many times and by real manufacturers in the 1980s. The Sharp bilateral (both vertical and horizontal- portable and home) did it quite well, with special Audio Technica cartridges on each side, Infra Red track search capability and full programmability. I've got several in my storeroom I restored in the 90s. Sharp, Sony, Mitsubishi, JVC, even Technics, everyone did a few verticals. Difference was, they knew what they were doing.

The only way to do it properly is with a linear tracking arm.

The bearings in their motor are being used in the complete wrong orientation as will the platter shaft bearing.

They are using a stepper motor to drive it.

Still, get yourself a slick video production and a CNC router and a trusty 'no-compromise' AT95e cartridge. A sucker is born every minute.

How the heck do they even set the VTF on it?? The counterweight is supposed to counter gravity to set the VTF. I have a feeling there's some kind of hinge-type mechanism clamping the tonearm to the record, and the counterweight on the back is just for show :sigh:
 
Vertical old stuff...

Way back Empire, the turntable/cartridge/speaker maker had their turntable advertised to play in any mode such as vertical, angled, slanted and so on. They claimed the arm was so good it could play in a "static" configuration at the correct pressure without a hitch.

I know, I bought a 598III years ago but sold it.

Paul
 
As they say, there is nothing new in the world, only that which has been forgotten.

I much prefer the look of Sony's PS-F5, which was out and about in the early 1980s.
maxresdefault.jpg


Audio technica had a cheaper SoundBurger AT727, non linear tracking, for horizontal operation.
Audio-Technica-SoundBurger-Vender-09-500x379.jpg

And that's basically a copy of the Wondergram that dates back to the 1940s!
wondergram.jpg


The "TOC's" claim of a "digital sensor" sounds like a load of bollocks - no such thing likely to exist in any affordable record player any time soon. And every rack system from Kenwood or Sansui in the 1980s has a track programmable turntable. All Revox turntables are remote controllable, since 1979.

The problem with all these "sandwhich" players is they lack a true platter, and are thus severely microphonic. Same problem with Sharp's both-sides-play vertical record players (VZ-3000, or the portable version VZ-2000 https://hiphopolitic.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/vz-2000.jpg)
Technics got it right with the SLV5 - a true high fidelity vertical record player with die-cast 12" platter,
technics_sl-v5_front.jpg

but it wasn't exactly portable.

I'm pretty sure an upside down turntable would be significantly easier, in fact if you got some type of clamp for the record and platter I wouldn't be surprised if pretty much any TT would work upside down.

The Technics SL10 will absolutely play upside-down. No guessing, I've tried it.
 
Last edited:
Gotta give some kudos for the unique design. It's cool looking! And I'm sure it sounds way better than a Crosley... But, it's no hi-fi piece. (I can't see how it would be possible to make ANY vertical TT perform as well as a horizontal TT of similar construction. If for no other reason, the bearing can't be as good. A perfectly leveled horizontal TT will scarcely have more than a needlepoint's worth of contact at the bottom of a bearing, and it will smoothly glide within the bearing walls on a thin layer of lubricant. I don't see how a horizontal bearing could ever compare. Of course, the other potential problems with this design abound... The bearing is about the least of it's potential issues.) Oh well, just watch it spin and have fun... Just keep my records away from it!
 
I have more than a few verticals. Mitsubishi LT-5V, Technics SL-V5, Kenwood P9 and a Optonica RP-114. Not my daily drivers but they are fun to use. The Mitsubishi is by far the best of the bunch.
 
I have more than a few verticals. Mitsubishi LT-5V, Technics SL-V5, Kenwood P9 and a Optonica RP-114. Not my daily drivers but they are fun to use. The Mitsubishi is by far the best of the bunch.





I think NEC had a hand in developing the Mitsubishi LT-5V.
 
They don't understand the concept of skating and anti-skating which is a bad sign.

Doug
If the arm is driven by a motor....which it appears to be, the skating is a non-issue. Thing that bothers me is, what are they using to follow the groove pitch? This is no Biotracer.
 
You missed my point.

If you read their rave-up, you will see they don't understand what causes skating force. That's a bad sign. Anyone designing turntables ought to understand basics.

Doug
 
The arm is simply balanced when used in the vertical plane (like a sweep second hand on a properly balanced large faced clock) and tracking force is set by a spring acting on the vertical bearings.

Putting it on a slight angle helps the stylus stay in the groove too.

Sadly, they have no concept of anti-skating, but I figure hipsters think IGD is 'real analog- man'.

Let's face it, it's just a cute hipster toy. It's fun, that's all.
 
Last edited:
Compared to all the other new plug and play, all-in-one record players I can think of this one is by the far the coolest looking and will probably sound better than the others. Considering the target demographic they would have been smarter to include wifi instead of analog output.
 
You missed my point.

If you read their rave-up, you will see they don't understand what causes skating force. That's a bad sign. Anyone designing turntables ought to understand basics.

Doug
Didn't catch the rave-up....is this some technical white paper? I just caught the blurb in the OP's link along with the video.

Let's see....a platterless vertical record player with no dust cover, built-in amp and speakers, and a motor driven tonearm. For sure this deck is not about getting the basics right...it's about selling cool, funky looking record players while the market is hot.

I don't think audiophiles will be interested as much as they hope (other than those who want a conversation piece on their coffee table), especially those who want to make sure the arm tracking system doesn't trash the record.
 
Didn't catch the rave-up....is this some technical white paper? I just caught the blurb in the OP's link along with the video.

Let's see....a platterless vertical record player with no dust cover, built-in amp and speakers, and a motor driven tonearm. For sure this deck is not about getting the basics right...it's about selling cool, funky looking record players while the market is hot.

I don't think audiophiles will be interested as much as they hope (other than those who want a conversation piece on their coffee table), especially those who want to make sure the arm tracking system doesn't trash the record.

i think there is a platter-polished acrylic and the tone arm is a basic, set-it-down-yourself NO AUTORETURN
oh and from slashgear

"The Floating Record vertical turntable launches to a surprisingly enthusiastic crowd-funding audience. With a $50k funding goal in place at its morning launch, this project reached a cool $85k by the time the afternoon rolled around. "

walnut-profile_edit_02-600x675.jpg


not sure why they just didn't try to do this:
sony-ps-f5-portable-record-player.jpg
 
Last edited:
I think it's possibly the most stupid thing I've seen in a long time... which means they'll sell them by the truck load. Then again, that's a pretty hefty price for a college kid to afford. Who exactly is their target demographic?
 
This article shows the dangers of using crowd funding to pay for the design of complex components. The gap between knocking up a prototype in your garage and getting to a production part that has warranty, support and all the bugs ironed out is vast. Aiming at the budget end of the market is even more difficult as there is little wiggle room if there are issues as the profit margins are so low.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/m...-the-rage-of-the-jilted-crowdfunder.html?_r=0
 
Back
Top Bottom